Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 04:23 PM

263 posts, read 567,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Here we go again with these leaders who White people appoint for us.

Al Sharpton has been harping on the issue of violence, out of wedlock child births and other issues for the past 20 years. People like you have to be more informed before they make opinions about people and their movement.
How is it that white people have 'appointed' Al Sharpton as a leader for the black community? Do you really believe that?

I think the bad leaders (if they can be called that) of the black community promote a sense of victimhood and racial division. The good voices of the community promote self accountability and a belief that the solution to problems comes from within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 06:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Good point!

Lets take it a little deeper. If they had a nurturing home with parents who where being parents, the performance of the schools would be better. If Mommy and Daddy would have jobs or would have waited until they where financially, emotionally and spiritually ready, we wouldn't have the problems we have.

Why isn't Mommy and Daddy working? Why is the government trying to take the place of provider? There are so many directions this dialog can go.
totally 100% true.

Also, good role models needed, like a big brother type. Some good role models besides celebrities who are popular for being a bad boy/bad girl. Like the Chicago Boyz on Americas Got Talent, long story short - a coach type adult man (cool guy!) got together a bunch of teens from the neighborhood and taught them acrobatics, now they are performing (actually they will be on that show this Tuesday). to be in this acrobatic program, they have to keep up with their school studies and a few other good things. This proves that young men if given a role model and something to aim for, makes a whole lot of difference. And this guy may not have had funds thrown at him to do this, I am not sure, but it doesn't sound like he got it thru handouts. but he did it himself. Great story!!

Also in general this world has gotten more liberal in a bad way. Old fashioned morals are slowly being eroded, and this is what the young folk are shown examples of. wish we could go back to some of the old fashioned morals which taught respect, i.e. teachers are being disrespected and if the teacher disciplines the kid, the teacher is told that is unconstitutional or something.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:20 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
How is it that white people have 'appointed' Al Sharpton as a leader for the black community? Do you really believe that?

I think the bad leaders (if they can be called that) of the black community promote a sense of victimhood and racial division. The good voices of the community promote self accountability and a belief that the solution to problems comes from within.
Black people didn't appoint him as leader!

Why are you so stuck on identifying a Black community leader? That sounds ignorant! We are much too diverse for that.

Whites who make those claims are the ones who have no connection to the Black community.

I'm a black man who goes to a predominantly Black church who has a Black family who is very well connect with the Black community and I am telling you how stupid non blacks sound when they talk about Black leaders.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Black people didn't appoint him as leader!

Why are you so stuck on identifying a Black community leader? That sounds ignorant! We are much too diverse for that.

Whites who make those claims are the ones who have no connection to the Black community.

I'm a black man who goes to a predominantly Black church who has a Black family who is very well connect with the Black community and I am telling you how stupid non blacks sound when they talk about Black leaders.
I'm not 'stuck' on identifying any Black community leader. You introduced the concept of a black leader. Furthermore, you went on to state that said black leader (Al Sharpton) was 'appointed' by whites. I find that ideology bizarre. I am merely attempting to understand your mindset.

I find your lack of a clear answer combined with an attempt to disparage my post as "ignorant" or "stupid" (your words) revealing.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:54 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:

I find your lack of a clear answer combined with an attempt to disparage my post as "ignorant" or "stupid" (your words) revealing.
Revealing of what?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:00 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
I'm not 'stuck' on identifying any Black community leader. You introduced the concept of a black leader. Furthermore, you went on to state that said black leader (Al Sharpton) was 'appointed' by whites. I find that ideology bizarre. I am merely attempting to understand your mindset.

That was another poster who mentioned Sharpton as a black leader. Racist whites are usually the only ones referring to Sharpton as a leader. I can't believe that you don't see that

Old 08-30-2013, 09:21 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Onswipe

Strange how that posted, but it's Cornel West dissing Sharpton.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Revealing of what?
Revealing of a lack of substance.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:12 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
I think it's a little odd to suggest anyone has made Sharpton a leader, he's not a democratically elected politician, he's a self-appointed leader if anything.

Either way, he doesn't carry much weight in Lake View.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:14 AM

80 posts, read 130,509 times
yes, a "black leader" is as silly as a "white leader." I am white and I have no leaders -- certainly no race leaders. That's so weird to me.

I will say that activists such as Sharpton do not affect much change since they take the path of political activism. I'd say most of the problems that exist within black communities are not necessarily political or, rather, they cannot be solved with politics. It's like the Million Father March. Being a good dad isnt something you rally around in public and hold signs for; you just do it, often without thanks or recognition, because it's the right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago