Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,909 times

Advertisements

I will be working out in Elmhurst but would really like to live in the city. I'm not huge on high energy night life (it can be fun from time to time but I wouldn't go out more than a few times a month). Mostly I'm interested in living in an area with a lot of weekend/evening activities (recreational sports, cafes, record stores, low key bars, etc.) with a slant toward people in their early/mid 20s. Bonus points if it's in an area with good public transportation.

What areas like this would involve the least driving in the morning? What is the outbound traffic like? How much would it matter if I left for work at 7:00 AM vs 8:00 AM?

west town seems nice, but I'd like more opinions.

Last edited by moverstl; 07-14-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 03:22 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,124 times
Wicker Park/Bucktown/UK Village near the Division/Ashland or Damen/North stops on the Blue Line would be my choice.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:37 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Well, part of this depends upon your budget firstly. However, I agree about Ukrainian Village/Noble Square/East Village, or Wicker Park type of area. There's a fair amount of nightlife in Wicker Park but there's also the record stores, book stores, cafes, restaurants, etc. Again though it depends upon your budget. UK Village is more laid back I'd say and the rent is cheaper (they're near each other). If you went with UK Village/Noble Square/East Village, maybe something closer to Division Street because the Blue Line has a stop on Division...

Old 07-14-2013, 03:43 PM

Budget isn't a big deal, I'd be willing and easily able to spend quite a bit (1200+) for a nice place. Less is better obviously, but I'm flexible.

I like Wicker Park, but it might be a little too hectic for me to live (unless off-mainstreet areas are more relaxed).

Bigger concern is how stressful the commute would be. How bad is 290 at the times I mentioned?

Last edited by moverstl; 07-14-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 04:04 PM

Wicker Park is only hectic on a few streets. As long as you stay a little bit away from Milwaukee and North avenues, you'd be fine IMO. I think a common misconception about Chicago (or most big cities in the US) is that there is loudness and life going on everywhere in the neighborhoods. Not really true and in Chicago it's only true on a few main drags (i.e. Milwaukee, North, etc). So keep that in mind.

As far as budget goes, you'll have to spend more than $1200/month if you want to live in Wicker Park. For UK Village/Noble Square/East VIllage, you may be able to find 2 bedroom places starting from $1100/month (or 1 bed, 2 bath). They won't be luxury but they may not actually be bad.

You may also want to check out an area like Pilsen which is also fairly close to 290. It's a mix of Hispanic and artists there and there's a good amount of good food and such. Not a crazy nightlife scene or anything.

Traffic in the mornings going West on 290 can be pretty backed up for a mile or two around Oak Park and Forest Park. If you do not mind it either, a place like Oak Park or Forest Park even though they are suburbs may be a viable option for you as well.

I would look on domu.com and padmapper.com for listings in West Town.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:24 PM

Is there any way to live in Oak Park as a low 20-something without being depressed and bored? Not at all a knock on Oak Park, it's a lovely community, but most of the residents seem to be families or people in their 30s.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:02 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I tend to agree that Oak Park is not the best choice for 20 something singles.

The OP strikes me as a bit of a unique situation in that they specifically do not care about weeknight nightlife / entertainment. I suppose it is easier to get to the "cafes, recreational sports, record shops" of Chicago from Oak Park but if this is primarily a WEEKEND activity that is likely when it is easiest to drive in from Elmhurst. Does it really make sense for the OP to have day-in-day-out lengthy commute for these kinds of desires?

Frankly if the OP is really serious about only caring about the weekend pursuits living very close to work makes a lot more sense. If the OP has a desire to live someplace that would be midpoint between the happening record shop districts (?) and the horror of working in the suburbs it may be wise to explore Forwst Park which is generally cheaper than oak park, has a heckuva lot more bars friendly to young people and generally has apartments closer to the expressway than Oak Park...

Elmhurst and towns like nearby Villa Park are kind of ncie. They are mostly laid out in an easynto navigate grid, have no shortage of "chill bars" and even a few places to buy old records and of arty pursuits but they do have far fewer options for "high energy nightlife" and crucially they are not well loved by the Chicago-centric posters on these boards to whom the mere mention of "the suburbs" causes bad flashback of their awful childhoods in culdesacs sacs suburbs to flood their memories ...

Old 07-14-2013, 06:27 PM

240 posts, read 464,798 times
Would you be working near downtown Elmhurst? Would strongly suggest taking the Metra. Very easy to get to/from Elmhurst.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moverstl View Post
Is there any way to live in Oak Park as a low 20-something without being depressed and bored? Not at all a knock on Oak Park, it's a lovely community, but most of the residents seem to be families or people in their 30s.
I only suggested it because you seem to not really care about whether there is tons of nightlife. It wasn't even close to my first suggestion, but yes, I know a few people in their mid 20s who live in Oak Park and are fine. However, I wouldn't personally live there. Forest Park may actually be better, but again, not even close to my first suggestions.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
Would you be working near downtown Elmhurst? Would strongly suggest taking the Metra. Very easy to get to/from Elmhurst.
Yes, I'd be taking the metra if I didn't get a car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago