Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 AM

7 posts, read 6,265 times

Advertisements

So I will be relocating to the Chicago area in the coming weeks and looking for a place to live. I am in my young twenties and recently accepted a job in the Lake Zurich area. My thing is obviously being young I want to be around a decent nightlife and if I could I would live in the downtown area I would. However, I hear that the reverse commute out to the northwest suburbs is not that great. Right now I do a 45 min commute to my current job and don't mind it, however I don't want to do anything over that at the moment. So my questions to you guys is what would you recommend on places to live that are close to my job that can keep a commute under 45 Min? I am trying to keep rent pretty low as well around $700 to $850.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Sorry to say but Lake Zurich is pretty far out there. Like 25-30 miles from the nearest points of the city. The only way this will work is if you live in the far NW side of the city AND you leave at a time with no traffic. That is easy in the morning if you leave early enough, but coming back in the evening is a different story. Even then, you will not be in an area with decent nightlife. Some sorts of it yes, but not much really. Your best bets if you want to live in the city and leave early for work is somewhere between Jefferson Park and Irving Park in my opinion. I'd say Irving Park has more to offer for a younger person than Jefferson Park but it's also further away by a little bit. That way you're on the Blue Line train route as well and can easily get to better nightlife areas like Logan Square, Wicker Park, or Bucktown. The Blue Line runs 24 hours/day too.

Even then, you'd probably be better off in the burbs. There is still nightlife in the burbs and you can easily come into the city on the weekends if that's the case. If you want to live in the city and leave earlier than say 7 or 7:30 to get to work, I'd say Irving Park only because it puts you not terribly far from nightlife and there's still some bars/good restaurants there. However, the commute coming back will be a little bit more of a pain. Irving Park to Lake Zurich is probably pushing 35-45 minutes via car on clear roads

Old 07-16-2013, 11:21 AM

Hmm thanks for the good info. So I will take the one question further and ask where in the Suburbs should I look at then?

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp1089 View Post
Hmm thanks for the good info. So I will take the one question further and ask where in the Suburbs should I look at then?

Thanks.
I would ask the suburbs forum that. I have friends in the suburbs who like to drink and they live in places like Palatine and Des Plaines. I would really ask the Chicago Suburbs forum though. You'll get more for your budget there too. It won't afford you a palace, but it may afford you a newer place versus what you may find in an area like Irving Park.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 AM

Perfect, Thanks for the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago