Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 03:54 PM

68 posts, read 153,067 times

Advertisements

anybody have opinion about the area around at 2740 n pine grove avenue?
(near west diversey pkwy) thinking about relocating there and would love to be car free--is this
easily done there?--what about quality of life, walking around at night, etc.
the listing calls it Lincoln park--is that accurate---or too far north?--thanks
[SIZE=6] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 04:01 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
It's Lincoln Park. Diversey (2800 North) is the northern boundary of LP.

Lincoln Park is a great neighborhood to get acquainted with Chicago.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:04 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
1) It's on the border of Lincoln Park and Lakeview, technically in Lincoln Park. Not that it matters..it's not like the neighborhood changes once you go into Lakeview. It's a good area. One of the best in town.

2) Yes you can do without a car there unless you are commuting to the burbs or something and can't get there with the metra.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:41 PM

20 posts, read 29,316 times
It's definitely an area you can do without a car. An old coworker of mine lives right by there and she only used her car when she had to visit family in the suburbs and when they would do a Costco run. Otherwise, you have plenty that is within walking distance - the lake, Trader Joe's on Diversey, variety of retail and food, Walgreens, indie film house, express buses that take you downtown, Brown line is about a 10 minute walk west. Nightlife there consists mostly of bars and restaurants. Its an extremely densely populated area, but I haven't walked around there at night in awhile so can't personally attest to its safety.

Caveat- if you plan to hang out a lot in Wicker Park/Bucktown, I find it easiest to drive there, however; otherwise, taking a bus to that area is long and slow. So if you do have a car --- in the Lincoln Park area, parking is a pain in the behind so unless you have a garage spot, finding a spot to park will be a difficult. And once you find that spot, it most likely will be on a zoned permit-only street.

In essence I am saying that if you choose to live there, its probably best to NOT have a car (unless you have a garage spot).

Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 PM

101 posts, read 171,915 times
That's a nice, lively area, close to the Clark/Broadway/Diversey intersection, which has a lot of foot traffic during the day. Lots of places close-by within walking distance, a Trader Joe's, drug stores, restaurants, a movie theatre, etc. You can walk up Broadway or down Clark and there's a lot going on. It's on the northern border of Lincoln Park and Lakeview. I used to live at 2970 N Sheridan and miss walking around that area. I still can walk there, but it's just a longer walk. I live in south Lincoln Park now and it's way too quiet for me.

You're better off without a car as parking is horrendous.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:26 PM

thanks for your input--sounds like exactly what I am looking for--

Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 PM

forgot to ask about healthcare--will I find quality doctors and dentists
that I can get to easily without car?

Old 07-17-2013, 07:04 PM

20 posts, read 29,316 times
Yup, you're good. If you're not going to a dr nearby (St. Joseph's is right on Sheridan & Diversey if I recall), Northwestern Hospital is just an express bus to Michigan Ave. There should be plenty of dentists to choose from in that area as well.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:32 PM

101 posts, read 171,915 times
There is actually a bunch of health clinics and a full-fledged hospital just around the block at Diversey/Sheridan. If you get shot, you can literally just walk to a hospital.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 PM

I assume (hopefully) that was in jest--but brings up a good point--
how does all the gun/gang violence one hears about factor into living in this
--what everyone seems to agree is-- very good area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago