Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:07 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times

Advertisements

I think the home I linked to truly is one of the cuter options. Fact is "visual monotony" ihas been a real issue in Chicago and other urban areas for decades -- there are reason why parts if NYC like Queens are scorned by architectural historians...

When it come to the NW side (or SW side for that matter) visual monotony is a problem. Too manynbuilders used the same mass building techniques there that have been part of the problem in boring car centric areas. Yes, there are more than just ranches with a small set of exterior concrete steps (I beleive you mistaken inncalling these 'raised ranches', as that thpically connotes a home with the floor with kitchen and some bedrooms / living area is a half story up and the lower level is a hlaf story down so that the recroom is onky partial below grade). There are some two bedroom brick Cape Cods & mock-Georgians in the OP's price range in that part of Chicago, I doubt they'd find those suitable with a growing family.

I stand by my ststement regarding affordability -- if the budget numbers don't work this is not really feasible. Frankly I sorta question the wisdom of the firm that would even suggest / offer relocation to the OP. Over the years I have helped many folks with relocation to the broad Chicago area. In my experience employees that are on the lower end of the salary for relocation tend to be single / relatively young family that can manage in a condo. Employees that have older kids tend to be in upper / midrange of the salary scale. I guess there are some functions (maybe HR...) that do not warrant the higher salaries and relocation might still be offered, but going from a lower cost of living area like Cincinnati to a higher COL area like Chicago is very challenging at the lower end of the salary range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 08:03 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times
Agree that this is not a good time for Chicago schools - or for the state of Illinois for that matter.

Oak Park could be an option - South side of Oak Park for houses. The link to a house that Chet gave in an earlier post is from that area. You will have to look hard, but with some houses under water, you may be able to get a rental from those who can't afford to sell right now. Worst case scenario you guys can rent a two bedroom apartment/condo. Take your time, rent for awhile, and look for your opportunity to buy. It will be an older fixer upper, but sounds like that could work for you.

I completely agree with the other posters that your budget is low. I am hoping that this good career opportunity will come with more $$, so you can simply build your housing budget over time.

My parents moved us from Montessori-type schools in Chicago (Hyde Park) to Oak Park once my brothers and I were a couple years older then your kids. I think the environment of Oak Park may be what you are looking for. Nice commute for you. Quite good public schools if you decide to go down that route, with a really nice public library/parks/recreation center system for kids.

Here's some discussion of the schools in Oak Park from parents who live there..

Best public elementary school in oak park? - Live Here Oak Park

There seem to be some Montessori schools as well

Mosaic Montessori? - Live Here Oak Park

Old 07-21-2013, 01:21 PM

14 posts, read 34,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think the home I linked to truly is one of the cuter options. Fact is "visual monotony" ihas been a real issue in Chicago and other urban areas for decades -- there are reason why parts if NYC like Queens are scorned by architectural historians...

When it come to the NW side (or SW side for that matter) visual monotony is a problem. Too manynbuilders used the same mass building techniques there that have been part of the problem in boring car centric areas. Yes, there are more than just ranches with a small set of exterior concrete steps (I beleive you mistaken inncalling these 'raised ranches', as that thpically connotes a home with the floor with kitchen and some bedrooms / living area is a half story up and the lower level is a hlaf story down so that the recroom is onky partial below grade). There are some two bedroom brick Cape Cods & mock-Georgians in the OP's price range in that part of Chicago, I doubt they'd find those suitable with a growing family.

I stand by my ststement regarding affordability -- if the budget numbers don't work this is not really feasible. Frankly I sorta question the wisdom of the firm that would even suggest / offer relocation to the OP. Over the years I have helped many folks with relocation to the broad Chicago area. In my experience employees that are on the lower end of the salary for relocation tend to be single / relatively young family that can manage in a condo. Employees that have older kids tend to be in upper / midrange of the salary scale. I guess there are some functions (maybe HR...) that do not warrant the higher salaries and relocation might still be offered, but going from a lower cost of living area like Cincinnati to a higher COL area like Chicago is very challenging at the lower end of the salary range.

I work in design/advertising, which doesn't pay that great. Maybe I need to set my price high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago