Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:38 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMonroe View Post
I have lots of friends from the west side neighborhoods such as wicker park, university village, pilsen ect. and they are some of my fav places I have been to in the city. Other than Humbolt Park I see nothing dangerous about the west side, why do people bash it?
Wicker Park is northwest side, not west side, same with Humboldt Park. University Village and Pilsen are east of Ashland. They are NEAR west side, basically a large gentrified buffer belt around downtown. Anything past Western all the way to the Oak Park town limits is still really bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 11:02 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,071,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
True. But, Trump Tower, Mag Mile, Navy Pier, and Oak Street Beach are also on the east side.
Is that the "New" East Side? LOL

Last edited by urza216; 07-21-2013 at 11:43 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 11:17 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Anything past Western all the way to the Oak Park town limits is still really bad.
Untrue. Depends how close to the Blue Line you are.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:23 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Wicker Park is northwest side, not west side, same with Humboldt Park.
Nonsense. South of North Avenue is the West Side, no doubt. North of North Avenue it's ambiguous but I think of Grand as the boundary between West and Northwest once Grand crosses North Ave.

See, when you grow up in a part of the city and get around it and socialize you get a pretty good idea of what's what geographically. I had pals from Polk and Lavergne, Chicago and Lavergne, Chicago and Lawndale, Dipsy Doodle, Key, Orr, Ohio and Leavitt, Humboldt Park, Riis Park, Armitage and Crawford, Harrison and Lotus and of course my corner, Madison and Central.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:27 PM

Nonsense! Tex?IL? lived in the Chicago area for a good three years five years ago. You know nothing about the city, Tom!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
True. But, Trump Tower, Mag Mile, Navy Pier, and Oak Street Beach are also on the east side.
Technically, anything east of state is, but if you say anything north of the 90/94 split is the 'east side' people are going to look at you funny.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:41 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,071,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Nonsense! Tex?IL? lived in the Chicago area for a good three years five years ago. You know nothing about the city, Tom!
Tex?IL? has said he grew up in the NW suburbs and lived in Oak Park for a chunk of his adult life..

Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
Hm this is funny!!! I was watching Fox Chicago news this morning and Corey was telling us about the story of the man who robbed a "west side" store on Belmont. Not sure where the store is, but now Belmont is on the west side? thats a new one. Belmont has always been northwest side.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:16 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hm this is funny!!! I was watching Fox Chicago news this morning and Corey was telling us about the story of the man who robbed a "west side" store on Belmont. Not sure where the store is, but now Belmont is on the west side? thats a new one. Belmont has always been northwest side.
Silly ChicagoMeO! Crime doesn't happen on the Northwest side. Belmont schmelmont.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,210,608 times
Quote:
Wicker Park is northwest side, not west side, same with Humboldt Park. University Village and Pilsen are east of Ashland.
All of these neighborhoods are West Side if you use the traditional North/South/West divisions. Only if you divide the city into at least 5 "sides" do you end up with the separate Northwest and Southwest divisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Nonsense.
Yep, pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago