Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 PM

17 posts, read 31,420 times

Advertisements

I have been reading a few forums already on the neighborhoods and would like living in a studio or 1 bedroom apt in Wicker Park or a similar neighborhood. I also plan on taking my car there, not using it every day but I will be having it with me

A little about myself, I recently graduated from Michigan State with a Social Science BA in Interdisciplinary Studies: International Studies, Economics. I'm 23 years old and have had 2 internships and 4 years of experience as an independent brand ambassador while in college. I have been told my resume is pretty extensive for someone of my age.

I realize this does not guarantee me a job right away. I have also worked many blue collar jobs, I come from low income background and know what hard laborious work is like. Im currently working at a factory 12hrs a day where my dad also works, I chose to do this to save up some money, live with parents and not pay rent or bills while I live at home. My current job is seasonal and will be ending in mid October, by then I will have made close to $10,000 after taxes, I have a few things to pay but by then I think I can easily have a minimum of $6k in my pocket by mid October when I plan moving to Chicago. I do plan on going out to bars and partying a bit in general, not spending extravagantly either but you get the idea. Job wise, it's hard to look for one at the moment since I work so much (12 hrs a day 7 days a week) but I do have a friend who can "hook me up" with a sales job as soon as I get there...I just don't how I feel about commission based pay rate. I wont be entirely living off that money either because when my job ends I will qualify for unemployment benefit for 8 weeks but I would still like finding something sooner than later. I already have plenty of friends living in Chicago who have offered me to stay with them for a bit while I find my own place, which I will probably do but I do not want to be a free loader either

My main questions would be: should I save up more money before moving? how long might those $6k last me? and how quickly do you guys think I could find a decent entry level job in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxspartan View Post
My main questions would be: should I save up more money before moving? how long might those $6k last me? and how quickly do you guys think I could find a decent entry level job in Chicago?
6k should be fine, but if you can save more, do it.

How long it lasts depends on you. If you move in with roommates, go easy at the bars, and spend your money wisely, it should be plenty of cushion until you find a job.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Get a job first!

If your sales job require you to drive it could be far more costly to get your registration / city sticker / potential parking permit.

If you get a job that does not require a car it would be smart to get rid of the car if you desire to live in a part of Chicago where cars are a liability.

I would not count on any unemployment being paid to you if you have seasonal work, the nature of that is generally that you will not be eligible for benefit once the season ends...

A fair number of folks probably get by on less than a grand a month, some can stretch things to far less than $500/mo if they sack out with friends for free but that seems like it won't help you make much progress on putting your degree to good use...

Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 PM

541 posts, read 912,627 times
I plan on having $4-5k in savings when I move, but I have a job I am transferring ($10/hour). Should be by October.

Its doable, but I would think having a job is preferable before moving. I am coming from NY though, and know virtually nobody. Starting new. Most of my peers are in NYC (been there done that) and I think Chicago is better for more practical living. Theyll be in their 30s still living with roommates and getting by on low salary jobs. I know a fair amount in Boston and Philly too. Those are the popular regional cities here.

My intent is grad school when I get there.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Getting a job first would be absolutely best, but if you are dead set on coming to Chicago even without a job, then my gut reaction would be to find a place in another neighborhood. Certainly you can find some cheap places in Bucktown still, but the average rent in these places is not very expensive. I would tell you to look at another neighborhood - perhaps somewhere like Avondale, Pilsen, etc that is still close-ish to the Loop and on public transit, but also cheaper. That way your money lasts longer in case you can't find anything or it takes you longer to find it. Now is not the time to be picky with neighborhoods minus a few main requirements IMO.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the replies!

The sales job will not require me to drive. My friend currently does fine without driving doing the same thing I would do if I were to go that route, it's selling insurance by the way. I will need to take a an exam and get certified by the state before I cant start working in that though.

I thought Wicker Park was a neighborhood where I can park on the street without a permit...unless I am mistaken about that. I know my friend parks on the street for free but his plates are form out of state so I don't know if that has anything to do with it (mine will be too). This kind of brings me another question, what neighborhoods on the north side have street parking?

As far as the unemployment goes I am pretty well informed about how it works and it's pretty much guaranteed because unemployment benefit is something gained and by working the 16 weeks I will have worked by mid-October and the job ending (not getting fired or quitting but laid off) I am entitled to unemployment benefit under state law, I know this because I studied it, and most people working for the company do that on purpose actually, and the company is aware of it as well and they don't really seem to care I personally don't plan living off unemployment it's just supplemental income I could use if I don't find a job quickly since it is something I gained after all.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM

You can park on the street in Wicker Park, although in some areas it's rather hard to do it. Honestly, Wicker Park area is probably more expensive than what you want. You need to be able to prepare for the worst in a way, stretch your money out more. A place like Avondale which is just a few stops away from Wicker Park on the Blue Line is much cheaper on average and will allow you to do that.

As far as which neighborhoods have street parking on the north side? Pretty much all of them. Even the Gold Coast, Old Town, etc of the Near North side has it, but it's definitely not as much as areas north of there like Lincoln Park. Some areas it's even free - actually many throughout the city it is (even the Gold Coast and a few areas to the west of it has free street parking if you know where to look).

Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 PM

IEnjoyBeer - I actually also have guaranteed work when I get there as a brand ambassador many of my peers in that industry that now live in Chicago say there is more than enough work especially for me since I am also fluent in Spanish but my aim is a salaried job or something I can put my degree into good use.

Marothisu - definitely true I should not be picky right now on neighborhoods I just don't really know any neighborhoods other than wicker park and lincoln park. A friend recommended me Humboldt park but the internet says it's pretty bad :/ IDK

Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 PM

I will definitely be looking into avondale, my plan is actually to sublease a place until I get a better feel and adjustment of what neighborhood I like and more importantly afford which by then I will probably have a job

Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 PM

The area of Humboldt Park close to Wicker Park or Ukrainian Village is not terrible, but if you're over there and want train access, then a better neighborhood would be Avondale, or you may be able to find a cheap place in Logan Square too. Even up to an area like Irving Park. Since these are on the blue line, if you want to go out and drink sometimes in an area like Wicker Park, then at least you're paying less for your apartment here, but you can still easily get to Wicker Park on the Blue Line. It's only a few stops from these areas and the blue line runs 24 hours/day. I know that in some of these areas, parking may even be free and not zoned (don't know which though - I have done it with my friends in Avondale and Irving Park before though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago