Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 09:13 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Blaming everyone else for her situation
What part of the article led you to that conclusion, because I'm not seeing any blame in the quoted text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 01:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
What part of the article led you to that conclusion, because I'm not seeing any blame in the quoted text.
Reading between the lines..lol

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-11-2013, 01:06 PM

101 posts, read 171,896 times
If HS dropout McDonald's workers are gonna get paid $15/hr, then educated preschool teachers should DEFINITELY be paid more than $12/HR.

I'm not adverse to raising minimum wage but asking $15/hr for unskilled labor is a bit outrageous. And while I'm sure McDonald's can afford, the question is: can all the other industry sectors afford to pay everyone at least the same when they begin demanding it?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingerBananafish View Post
I'm not adverse to raising minimum wage but asking $15/hr for unskilled labor is a bit outrageous. And while I'm sure McDonald's can afford, the question is: can all the other industry sectors afford to pay everyone at least the same when they begin demanding it?

With companies making record profits, they sure can. The only reason it's "outrageous" is because that's not what we're used to in a capitalist country. If government workers can make at least $15/hr on a fixed budget, surely a corporation can afford to pay its workers a liveable wage. They just choose not to.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
With companies making record profits, they sure can. The only reason it's "outrageous" is because that's not what we're used to in a capitalist country. If government workers can make at least $15/hr on a fixed budget, surely a corporation can afford to pay its workers a liveable wage. They just choose not to.
But we're not just talking about giant corporations. We're talking about small businesses, jobs at hospitals, public sectors, government positions, school positions, etc. It would affect multiple industries, both private and public. You think people getting paid $9-10/hr for skilled labor are going to just sit around and be happy for kids flipping burgers at McDonald's getting paid more than them?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:38 PM

Well, ensuring people made a liveable wage is what those evil unions were for. Can't be mad at the next guy because your employer isn't paying you what it should.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
You think people getting paid $9-10/hr for skilled labor are going to just sit around and be happy for kids flipping burgers at McDonald's getting paid more than them?
They shouldn't be happy regardless of what people at McDonald's are paid. In any event people are not supposed to worry about the effects their making more money has on others, a school of modern Capitalist theory teaches us the common good is achieved when everyone strives to maximize their own income. This applies to burger flippers as well as CEOs. If true.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
They shouldn't be happy regardless of what people at McDonald's are paid. In any event people are not supposed to worry about the effects their making more money has on others, a school of modern Capitalist theory teaches us the common good is achieved when everyone strives to maximize their own income. This applies to burger flippers as well as CEOs. If true.
The consequences of it would be far-reaching, especially when it starts happening in the public sector, where capitalism isn't 'supposed' to apply (i.e. there isn't a focus on profit margins). Whether its the endless strikes, political turmoil, and budgeting issues at a time when budgets are at a complete straining point. Havoc would be unavoidable.

And if it actually happens, we all know McD's is going to respond by laying off a major proportion of workers to offset costs. Because that's how any corporate entity would respond to maximize its own income.

I'm all for 'let's see what happens'. I'm just noting that McD's workers probably don't know they're biting off more than they can chew. Granted, it's also likely they are just using the figure to garner a smaller, more reasonable pay bump.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
The consequences of it would be far-reaching, especially when it starts happening in the public sector, where capitalism isn't 'supposed' to apply (i.e. there isn't a focus on profit margins). Whether its the endless strikes, political turmoil, and budgeting issues at a time when budgets are at a complete straining point. Havoc would be unavoidable.
Bring it on. This is what needs to happen in this country. Too many people are complacent, and the wealthy are getting away with murder.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:34 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:

And if it actually happens, we all know McD's is going to respond by laying off a major proportion of workers to offset costs. Because that's how any corporate entity would respond to maximize its own income.
I wonder, somebody has to do the work and I don't see employees standing around in McDonald's with their thumbs up their asses, I doubt they have much room to cut back. And besides, maybe we're better off with less jobs paying better money. And if businesses respond by raising prices I'm aces with that, I don't expect this to come at no cost to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago