Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 06:08 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times

Advertisements

This pretty much sums it up......

“If not $15, then something. I mean give us something. I work 36 hours a week and barely make enough to pay my rent, gas bill, light bill. It gets to the point where I barely have enough for lunch sometimes,” said Angel Richardson, 21, who works at McDonald’s. “I’m five months pregnant, what am I going to do in four months? I hope something changes.”

400 area retail, fast-food workers demand $15-an-hour minimum wage - Chicago Sun-Times

Umm...how about not getting pregnant when you're 21 and can't afford to have a baby? The reason you're 21 and prego is the same reason you're working at McDonald's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 06:22 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
This pretty much sums it up......

“If not $15, then something. I mean give us something. I work 36 hours a week and barely make enough to pay my rent, gas bill, light bill. It gets to the point where I barely have enough for lunch sometimes,” said Angel Richardson, 21, who works at McDonald’s. “I’m five months pregnant, what am I going to do in four months? I hope something changes.”

400 area retail, fast-food workers demand $15-an-hour minimum wage - Chicago Sun-Times

Umm...how about not getting pregnant when you're 21 and can't afford to have a baby? The reason you're 21 and prego is the same reason you're working at McDonald's.
You don't know how she became pregnant. Is it ideal in this culture to be 21 and pregnant? Perhaps not, but 21 isn't 16 and there's really no good excuse to be paying people a non-living wage.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:35 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
You don't know how she became pregnant. Is it ideal in this culture to be 21 and pregnant? Perhaps not, but 21 isn't 16 and there's really no good excuse to be paying people a non-living wage.
I'll bet my rent that she's:
1) not married
2) possibly a high school dropout
3) this isn't her first child
4) she became pregnant with no intention of marrying the father
This is the type of cycle that leads to a minimum wage job at McDonald's.

Nothing wrong with being 21 and pregnant (if you can afford it).

So, what it a living wage? $15/hour? Why not $30/hr? Why not $100/hr? You see, it's called 'unskilled' labor for a reason.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:24 AM

285 posts, read 385,806 times
How many years until robots can do this work? Half of McDonald's is automated already. I'm serious.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:46 AM

125 posts, read 172,524 times
It won't be long. Especially ordering, it'll be a touch screen that'll show items with pictures.

These people should be protesting the federal government that takes 40%+ right off the top of executive, management and ownership and does nothing good with it, then devalues our currency faster than we can even bring a minimum wage vote to the table. At our pace of debt and inflation, even doubling minimum wage will probably bring this back to conversation in less than a few years when the price of gas, goods and services goes up by 30%.

Fix the real problems.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:54 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
How many years until robots can do this work? Half of McDonald's is automated already. I'm serious.
Good point, much of the unskilled repetitive labor is being replaced by robots/automation. I'd recommend they quit complaining about their wages and start hitting the books. Maybe a career in robotics is the answer and I bet it pays much more than $15 p/h.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Irishtom's Laws of Economics---

People value hard work until they have to pay for it.

My raise is good for the economy, your raise causes inflation.

My raise is due to merit, yours is due to greed.

You're overpaid, I'm overworked.

The other guy's job is automated or sent to China or India, my job is safe.

People banding together in corporations to further their economic interest is the free market at work. People banding together in unions to further their economic interest violates a free market.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Hey Lenniel, many times I've seen you on here picking on the weak and those below you. Do you have the moxie to go against the powerful and those above you as well? Have you the strength to pick on the strong?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Post. Of. The. Week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Irishtom's Laws of Economics---

People value hard work until they have to pay for it.

My raise is good for the economy, your raise causes inflation.

My raise is due to merit, yours is due to greed.

You're overpaid, I'm overworked.

The other guy's job is automated or sent to China or India, my job is safe.

People banding together in corporations to further their economic interest is the free market at work. People banding together in unions to further their economic interest violates a free market.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 AM

44 posts, read 75,586 times
Agreed. The "I've got mine so the hell with you" crowd gets on my very last nerve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago