Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,124 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I've run into a bit of a sticky situation and was hoping if anybody can shed some light.

I've lived in an apartment in downtown Chicago for quite some time now, and I am renting this from an owner who lives in North Carolina. He's a nice guy, but I don't get to deal with him most of the time because his agent manages everything for him in Chicago.

Since about January, my landlord has been trying to sell the unit. His agent manages and schedules all the showings. I have been walked in on several times without warning, am often given last minute notices (I believe 48 hours is required, yes?), and the property is listed without specifying that there is a tenant in the unit. His agent has also left the front door open after the showing, which is a huge security issue for obvious reasons.

My question is -- is the landlord ultimately responsible, or does the agent bear some responsibility as well? I find it hard to hold someone liable who doesn't live in the city, and is probably under some binding agreement to sell his property through this agent.

Ultimately it is carelessness and poor communication on the agent's part that has caused this mess, and I find myself in a tough situation to request any damages through my landlord who is actually a great guy.

Has anybody experienced anything similar or have advice on how to proceed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 04:12 PM

255 posts, read 583,639 times
I believe it is a 24 hour notice that is required before entering, but that might have changed. I'd call these folks for updated info:

Chicago Rents Right Hot-line at 312/742-RENT (312/742-7368)

Old 08-03-2013, 04:37 PM

498 posts, read 724,499 times
I think it's 48 hours w/o you given consent for an exception. What happened sounds totally illegal, but if you have the landlord's direct #, I would just call him and explain the situation and then he can deal with the agent to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:03 PM

285 posts, read 385,997 times
Call your landlord. He probably has no idea about how the agent is going about his business. Shouldn't be a big deal. What damages are you thinking of claiming?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:53 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
I'd notify the landlord first in writing, sent certified mail.

Wait for the response.

In the meantime, I would probably take up the nudist lifestyle when home.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:00 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
Sounds like we can see where this is going...Agents coming and going-even with notice is still a hassle.

New landlord coming in, no idea if they want to move into your place, or have other plans.

Yes, you have rights and what not. But, fighting all these things takes time effort and energy. Are you sure you wouldn't just save yourself a bunch of headaches by just looking to move yourself?

I'm not trying to say what's happening to you is right. I'm just saying, as I get older and busier, I pick and choose my battles more carefully. It's okay to say 'not worth the hassle' and realign yourself in a position to live a stress free life.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:52 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,690 times
I agree with the above . Through your post, it appears you have a pretty good relationship with your landlord, so I would address concerns with them first You probably realize that you should also be concerned about what happens with the lease, etc . if the unit sells . If you haven't already , it'd be a good time to review anything in the lease concerning sale or the property, etc .

Old 08-05-2013, 05:38 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
They are supposed to give notice, legally.

In the meantime, facing reality and what is going on, I would lock up my valuables, and/or store them away deep in a closet so that people cant get to them easily. Or even rent a storage unit and start moving your most valuable possesions in there, You're going to move soon anyway .. it may be worth it for you to pay $40 to $80 a month (first month free even) for a couple months. If you have renters insurance, if anything is stolen, you may have some luck there. But i would begin moving my stuff out now to a public storage unit and that way if someone comes in it wont matter as much if strangers are viewing your things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago