Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 02:18 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Yes, I did. I then quoted the relevant part, to which I was responding. The fact that you happened to work at a shop that let people park there indefinitely does not, in any way whatsoever, mean that shops have no choice but to let people do so.
Considering the size of our lot and the fleeting nature of our business, saying "yes" to the most trivial of requests meant a happy customer at no additional cost.
Given these facts, what did it benefit me to tow their car away?

I've done this at a different shop too (dealer) with my own car for the weekend (3 days) after an oil change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 02:29 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Considering the size of our lot and the fleeting nature of our business, saying "yes" to the most trivial of requests meant a happy customer at no additional cost.
Given these facts, what did it benefit me to tow their car away?
Exactly.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:53 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Strikes me as reasonable...

I'm some ways it is probably more routine for folks to leave the car parked in the same spot for a four or five days absence -- that probably morris the pattern of folks that have a car but work in a location where they only use it for weekends.

I would also think that if you have a routine business relationship with a locally owned car repair business they might be Ok with occaisional longer term parking / storage.

No suprise that a "strategy" that includes leaving car on-street for as long as two weeks would result in at least one parking ticket, I suspect that a huge percentage of tickets fall into same category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
My experiences:

I travel a lot for work, and I have routinely left my car on South Loop and West Loop streets while I take the L to the airport. Usually it's only for 4-5 days, but sometimes when I'm on vacation I've left it for *gasp* two weeks! I always check the city's street cleaning schedule to make sure I won't run into issues with that. After doing this for almost three years on and off, I've gotten one street cleaning ticket (my fault for not checking) and zero break ins. My car is a 1997, so it's nothing new and flashy, in case that matters. Not saying what I do is fool proof and smart, and perhaps I've gotten a bit lucky that there's been no street closures without ample warning, but it's served me well.

In regards to leaving your car at a mechanic for a week, just ask. Some might care, some might not. When I needed my car serviced, I would always drop it off before I left town, but I also have a relationship with my mechanic which allows me to do whatever fits my schedule.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:19 PM

285 posts, read 385,997 times
Going back to what the OP asked, street parking is one thing, where you blend in with many other cars. If you're parked in a sparsely filled lot in the middle of the night, I can see how that would be uncomfortable. When I lived in the South Loop I remember most lots weren't too empty at night. Just a thought, but I think some residents have monthly parking passes for many of the lots. But then again I've parked on side streets in the West Loop that are pretty empty late at night, so who knows; maybe I've just been lucky up to now.

And back to my experiences, parking on a city street for two weeks is probably not the smartest move, mostly because of the risk of last minute ''no-parking" signs going up while you're away. I only did this once, and I probably wouldn't do it again. I got my ticket when I was gone for three days, go figure.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:39 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Makes sense as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Going back to what the OP asked, street parking is one thing, where you blend in with many other cars. If you're parked in a sparsely filled lot in the middle of the night, I can see how that would be uncomfortable. When I lived in the South Loop I remember most lots weren't too empty at night. Just a thought, but I think some residents have monthly parking passes for many of the lots. But then again I've parked on side streets in the West Loop that are pretty empty late at night, so who knows; maybe I've just been lucky up to now.

And back to my experiences, parking on a city street for two weeks is probably not the smartest move, mostly because of the risk of last minute ''no-parking" signs going up while you're away. I only did this once, and I probably wouldn't do it again. I got my ticket when I was gone for three days, go figure.
I think I have heard cops say "stick to what the crowd does -- the wolf gets the sick animal off by itself and misses the herd"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago