Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:44 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,179,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
It is widely known that the so-called "big" chicago city papers and news stations are downplaying crime and not reporting on every crime that occurs.
If you think the mainstream Chicago media downplays crime, particularly in affluent white areas, you are not following the mainstream Chicago media. They have a new scare tactic every day, just like most local news. Fear gets ratings and sells advertising, after all, and nothing scares people like sensationalistic crime reporting.

They apparently just don't take it to a far enough extreme of flat-out fabrication for your tastes. Unlike random blogs, actual news outlets are still held somewhat accountable to some minimal threshold of truth-telling.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:46 PM

101 posts, read 170,785 times
Quote:
A lot of what they report on, they are getting from police radio. They actively monitor the police scanner and get the crime reports that way, then send one of their reporters to the station to get the information from the publicly-available police computer. This is they cannot "link" to "news sources". They ARE the news source.

It is widely known that the so-called "big" chicago city papers and news stations are downplaying crime and not reporting on every crime that occurs. This is because Rahm and Tunney dont want people to know about what is happening in these areas...Tunney even admitted so himself.
Well those papers and news stations aren't doing a very good job 'downplaying crime' in Chicago because it still sounds like hell is breaking loose on the South Side.

Cue the "big man" conspiracy theories...

Old 08-11-2013, 03:09 PM

359 posts, read 546,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingerBananafish View Post
There's something sketchy about that 'blog' considering I can't find any evidence on news reports about that Wrigleyville sexual assault. And the news is pretty good about reporting every little thing that happens on the North Side. I wouldn't trust a blog that can't reference its posts from valid sources. I mean it hyperlinks to other posts from THE SAME BLOG.

Neurotics will think crime is 'trending upward' because of every incidental crime that adds up in their brain towards something. But people generally understand crime can happen anywhere in a major city, but that the North Side is statistically safer than most city areas.
BTW, did you not notice that there is a Police Report Case number for this? #HW402666. You can look it up.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM

190 posts, read 313,490 times
Quote:

The city has been lying about this, and always trots out the "Crime is down" mantra. But, the only reason that "crime is down" is because there are not as many police to whom you can report crime events. You call 911, sometimes the phone rings and rings as they are so swamped. And if the police dont show up, how can you report a crime? Voila - crime is "down". Crime is not down, its UP, but the city plays a smoke-and-mirrors game with the numbers for political expediency.
yeah, trust this guy, he's got ALL the stats and only he knows the true nature of crime trends in the city.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:36 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,267,965 times
Quote:
It is widely known that the so-called "big" chicago city papers and news stations are downplaying crime and not reporting on every crime that occurs. This is because Rahm and Tunney dont want people to know about what is happening in these areas...Tunney even admitted so himself.
Yet Tunney was the one who organized the event covered in the following news link. Maybe he's finally coming around?

Lakeview residents walk to stop the violence

Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,579,422 times
I know I personally always hold events and call the media when there's something I don't want people to know about.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 AM

4,111 posts, read 9,015,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshanlj View Post
Let me start off by stating that I'm not from Chicago but do plan to move there pretty soon, so pardon me if I have the complete wrong image/information (which I hope I do). I frequently read the news and try staying up to date with what's going on in all parts of the city crime-wise so I can know were to start looking for places to live. I'm already well aware that the South side is pretty rough and parts of the West side too, however I've read about/heard about a few instances of shootings happening in parts of the North side, Near North Side and Rogers Park over the past few weeks, a couple of them occurring in broad daylight.

Once again, I am not from Chicago but I am definitely not one to rely solely on what the media reports, so I would like to hear from actual Chicagoans, who really know what is going on in their Is it something to be concerned about or is it once again the media over-exaggerating and putting every single incident in the front page news?

Aside from the violence (which is expected in every large city), Chicago has always attracted me and I've been wanting to move there for a while now, but that goes without saying that it is necessary to be prudent at all times and know what places to avoid. Any info/advice would be great!
That's where the Cabrini Green projects were located. The Near North Side.

What's this about violence on the north side being "new"? Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the country...

Old 08-12-2013, 08:50 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,556,586 times
The violence in Boystown, and frankly large chunks of gentrified Lakeview, of the last few years is certainly at a ridiculously unacceptable level. Walking on Halsted at 3:00am after seeing the Road Warrior at Music Box and grabbing a quick drink on Saturday morning, I can vouch for all the concerns there. It was truly the hood. Bad and bored ghetto throughout in different size groups. Very high tension.

Plus I read there were quite a few incidents AGAIN this weekend despite the "walk for peace" or whatever rubbish was organized at midnight.

I'm sure the 70s were no picnic in Lakeview, with Neo Nazis and bikers fighting Puerto Ricans on Belmont on a nightly basis. But that was then; the area is supposed to be semi-gentrified and safe now, (there are some damn expensive condos if it's not) - not just for 18 hours a day.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:53 AM

517 posts, read 674,400 times
Uptown and Rogers Park have some unsafe areas. Outside of that, the North Side is mostly pretty safe (there are also a few projects here and there that are unsafe).

I will say this, though. At night, there is some weird crap going on in Lakeview. Broadway/Belmont can be sketch late at night. There have been race-based beatings and the like. During the day, it's yuppieville, but at night you see packs of ghetto thugs, and occasionally they attack folks.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:00 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Uptown and Rogers Park have some unsafe areas. Outside of that, the North Side is mostly pretty safe (there are also a few projects here and there that are unsafe).

I will say this, though. At night, there is some weird crap going on in Lakeview. Broadway/Belmont can be sketch late at night. There have been race-based beatings and the like. During the day, it's yuppieville, but at night you see packs of ghetto thugs, and occasionally they attack folks.
Albany Park has more crime than Uptown these days. Uptown is actually at an all time low for violent crime this year. Lake View has had significantly more crime than Uptown over the past year.

Where "North Side" ends and "Northwest Side" begins is probably not a nuance that a Chicago newbie would be interested in, but there are many neighborhoods to the west that have had entrenched gang activity for decades now. Nothing new there. But the "Far Northwest Side" is probably the safest part of the city statistically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago