Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:32 PM

5 posts, read 126,958 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by stating that I'm not from Chicago but do plan to move there pretty soon, so pardon me if I have the complete wrong image/information (which I hope I do). I frequently read the news and try staying up to date with what's going on in all parts of the city crime-wise so I can know were to start looking for places to live. I'm already well aware that the South side is pretty rough and parts of the West side too, however I've read about/heard about a few instances of shootings happening in parts of the North side, Near North Side and Rogers Park over the past few weeks, a couple of them occurring in broad daylight.

Once again, I am not from Chicago but I am definitely not one to rely solely on what the media reports, so I would like to hear from actual Chicagoans, who really know what is going on in their Is it something to be concerned about or is it once again the media over-exaggerating and putting every single incident in the front page news?

Aside from the violence (which is expected in every large city), Chicago has always attracted me and I've been wanting to move there for a while now, but that goes without saying that it is necessary to be prudent at all times and know what places to avoid. Any info/advice would be great!

Old 08-10-2013, 12:50 AM

229 posts, read 469,014 times
Violence has actually been declining on average every year.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:27 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,396 times
I don't know what you mean by "reaching the North Side" as if no violence can occur any area. Nothing from the south or west sides are reaching to the north, and the north side isn't some safe haven where violence can't occur. It also depends on if any of this violence was gang-related like the majority of violence in the south and west sides are.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:37 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,456 times
Nope, life is pretty normal on the North Side for the most part. It has turned into a yuppie wonderland in many areas. Even small houses in Lakeview can easily cost over a million dollars.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:12 AM

527 posts, read 600,388 times
Violence can and will occur anywhere in any city. The worst areas of Chicago are located on the South and West sides, though there are also average and very nice areas on the South and West Sides (which are very large areas). Violence also occurs on the North Side sometimes, particularly in some of the more crowded and popular neighborhoods. Always has and always will. Despite what some media members and internet fearmongers would like to tell you, 8loody is correct that it has been trending downward over the years.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:59 PM

359 posts, read 549,175 times
The North Side has been, for many years, the "safest" part of the city, with a few exceptions (neighborhoods such as Rogers Park and Uptown are notorious for things like shootings etc). Most of the shootings that you see in the media do happen in the South and West sides of town.

However, over the past couple of years, there has been a dramatic shift in crime rates UPWARD for things like robberies and beatings on the North Side, in some of the most popular areas. You can ask anyone on this forum - I have been VERY vocal about raising awareness of the crime issues that are happening in Lakeview, as well as the Gold Coast areas of the North Side. These are very popular, very expensive neighborhoods that are now seeing serious upticks in "street violence", mostly in the summer and mostly in the evenings. Most of this violence is being committed by people who do not live in those neighborhoods - it is being committed by people who are traveling to the neighborhood (either via L train or by car) and cause problems. A lot of people get angry when I raise this point, especially people who have a vested interest in getting people to move here (realtors, landlords, City Hall employees) and dont want people to know the truth - they are hoping that people will move here and then they will have to just tolerate these problems, as once you move there is nothing you can do about it in the short term, really, and these people will have already been paid.

The crime has been going up in the safe neighborhoods, because the city is cutting the police force, and what force does remain, they are shifting into the South and West sides to combat the shootings. But the criminal element has taken notice of this and has started operating in places like Lakeview, where robberies and beatings have become a nightly occurrence.

The city has been lying about this, and always trots out the "Crime is down" mantra. But, the only reason that "crime is down" is because there are not as many police to whom you can report crime events. You call 911, sometimes the phone rings and rings as they are so swamped. And if the police dont show up, how can you report a crime? Voila - crime is "down". Crime is not down, its UP, but the city plays a smoke-and-mirrors game with the numbers for political expediency.

Here is a blog that details all of the craziness in Lakeview on a daily basis: Crime In Wrigleyville & Boystown

Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 PM

101 posts, read 171,896 times
There's something sketchy about that 'blog' considering I can't find any evidence on news reports about that Wrigleyville sexual assault. And the news is pretty good about reporting every little thing that happens on the North Side. I wouldn't trust a blog that can't reference its posts from valid sources. I mean it hyperlinks to other posts from THE SAME BLOG.

Neurotics will think crime is 'trending upward' because of every incidental crime that adds up in their brain towards something. But people generally understand crime can happen anywhere in a major city, but that the North Side is statistically safer than most city areas.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:30 PM

359 posts, read 549,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingerBananafish View Post
There's something sketchy about that 'blog' considering I can't find any evidence on news reports about that Wrigleyville sexual assault. And the news is pretty good about reporting every little thing that happens on the North Side. I wouldn't trust a blog that can't reference its posts from valid sources. I mean it hyperlinks to other posts from THE SAME BLOG.

Neurotics will think crime is 'trending upward' because of every incidental crime that adds up in their brain towards something. But people generally understand crime can happen anywhere in a major city, but that the North Side is statistically safer than most city areas.
A lot of what they report on, they are getting from police radio. They actively monitor the police scanner and get the crime reports that way, then send one of their reporters to the station to get the information from the publicly-available police computer. This is they cannot "link" to "news sources". They ARE the news source.

It is widely known that the so-called "big" chicago city papers and news stations are downplaying crime and not reporting on every crime that occurs. This is because Rahm and Tunney dont want people to know about what is happening in these areas...Tunney even admitted so himself.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:32 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Well Link, when Willie Sutton was asked why he robbed banks he replied that was where the money was.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:40 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingerBananafish View Post
There's something sketchy about that 'blog'
There's a lot sketchy about that blog, and other similar fear-mongering blogs (Second City Cop, etc.), that seem to only be followed by a handful of people who frequent this forum. They appear to play very fast-and-loose with the facts, sometimes completely making stuff up, and have a very sleazy, divisive, racist tone to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago