Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Why? Because of Gary? There's much more in Lake County. Ironically, the worst parts of it are along the lake.

You go further south past Gary and the rest of the towns are nice and pleasant. They actually have a lot to offer in terms of suburban/small town living (even though I wouldn't consider them really 'suburbs', though many people do).

Arguably, more than the run down suburbs of Chicago that are directly west of it once you cross into Cook County in Illinois.
No, not just because of Gary. Democratic stronghold in an uber conservative state, government inept, net takers in tax dollars from the state (they receive more than they pay in taxes) and generally no cooperation among themselves let alone the rest of the state, lastly, there's corruption in any government but then there's Lake County corruption which is a whole other level. I personally would never live south of 47th Ave myself which basically leave Gary's Miller Beach, parts of Tolleston, University Park or Morningside and South Hammond if I ever moved back north. I've become a huge fan of the 1% property taxes so will never live across the border again.

Back to the actual topic, I've never lived in MKE so my observations of it are strictly that of a "tourist." It's more aligned with Chicago as that entire corridor share a lot of similarities culturally. MKE appeared to be more liberal while Indy is very moderate. More liberal cities tend to align with other liberal cities and vice versa for conservative cities. I remember way back when when people were trying to considered Mitchell for the third Chicago airport (which would have really been a slap in the face to MKE). So more interaction between Chicago and MKE and generally people in Chicago don't think about Indianapolis and people in Indianapolis don't think about Chicago unless they are competing for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 03:02 PM

26 posts, read 41,318 times
Whoops....I posted in the wrong thread. Sorry about that.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:13 PM

285 posts, read 385,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Steiner View Post
Whoops....I posted in the wrong thread. Sorry about that.
Virgil, Chicagoans don't look down on Indy. Do not take the title literally.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
I remember way back when when people were trying to considered Mitchell for the third Chicago airport (which would have really been a slap in the face to MKE).
They must not regard it as that much of a slap in the face considering Milwaukee County actually trademarked "Chicago's Third Airport" as the Gary-Chicago airport discovered the hard way. The trademark was eventually invalidated by the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,311,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Indianapolis is more like a huge version of a small central IL city. Combine Springfield, Champaign-Urbana, Peoria, etc you get the picture.
I think of Indianapolis as being a lot like Columbus, Ohio. Both cities more closely resemble Sunbelt cities than most typical Midwestern cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Because, as coasties like to say about Chicago, Indy's an oversized cow town.
Which is exactly what we Clevelanders always said about Columbus. Especially after the city surpassed Cleveland in population.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,795,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I think of Indianapolis as being a lot like Columbus, Ohio. Both cities more closely resemble Sunbelt cities than most typical Midwestern cities.
Great point!

Have you ever been to Charlotte or Jacksonville?

Indy, Columbus, Charlotte, and Jacksonville all are extremely similar cities and are laid out very closely.

I always thought of Jacksonville as an Indy with palm trees.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 PM

8,288 posts, read 23,096,556 times
I'll say this, there are probably a lot more of former Chicagoans in Milwaukee than are in Indy. I can remeber once making a stink about a vendor at the Milwaukee Public Market for selling Cubs and White Sox peanuts next to the Brewers peanuts and the teller remarked "Do you know how many people from Chicago live in the Third Ward?". I knew his answer. The crossover between Milwaukee and Chicago is more pronounced than Indy and Chicago. People up here often refer to Marquette as Lake Forest University. There have been so many stores, restaurants and nightclubs started or owned by people from Chicago. It seems like every month Onmilwaukee.com is reporting another Chicago entrepreneur is opening another location or new branch in Milwaukee.

I remember when I first moved to BayView, a neighborhood in Milwaukee, it was a 8 unit building and 7 of the units were people from Chicago and 4 of them from Lakeview and LP they all even still had IL plates and now in my current building 3 of the 5 units are people from Chicago. You really can't hate people from IL or Chicago if you want to live in Milwaukee. Granted Chicago's 13M people even if a small number move to MKE it is going to have an effect on MKE. I can tell you from attending art shows, new restaurants and just a night out on the town, I am always running into people who moved from Chicago or are just visiting for the weekend on a daily basis.

We see Cubs and Blackhawks gear just as much as we do Brewers gear but a lot might have to do with no NHL here and Lloyd pettit's Chicago-Milwaukee connection more than anything. The 7 daily roundtrips on the 86 mile Hiawatha Train also might have an influence. More so MKE people working in Chicago than the other way but still. It is the busiest line in the Midwest 900,000 people ride it every year. Plus there is not a week that goes by where I do nit see a Chicago city cab in Milwaukee, why someone would take a cab from Chicago to MKE is beyond me but seeing a Chicago cab in MKE is not out of the ordinary.

After all the two cities from city limits to city limits are only 63 miles apart not 90 like most people believe, that is downtown distance from one downtown to the other.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,164,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They must not regard it as that much of a slap in the face considering Milwaukee County actually trademarked "Chicago's Third Airport" as the Gary-Chicago airport discovered the hard way. The trademark was eventually invalidated by the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
I live in downtown Chicago, and my brother and I have both flown out of Milwaukee but not Gary.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:24 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I live in downtown Chicago, and my brother and I have both flown out of Milwaukee but not Gary.
That's because you can't really fly out of Gary, unless you have a private plane or are going to one of the two places (I think?) that their one airline flies to.

I'd be in favor of Gary having Chicago's third airport. It's almost as close to downtown as O'Hare, and is a hell of a lot closer than Milwaukee. I've always thought of Gary as being to Chicago what Newark is to NYC, anyway.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 AM

285 posts, read 385,769 times
Gary recently had a semi-popular flight to Orlando (where else) with Allegient Air, like Rockford has. They no longer do this, so I don't know what Gary will do.

Gary is again an airport without an airline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago