Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 PM

125 posts, read 171,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsie View Post
Any welfare abuse doesn't really **** me off. The military is a bigger drain on "my hard-earned dollars" (quoted because I hate that term).
Agreed, foreign nationbuilding is killing us. But they both need to go. Setup a soup kitchen in every neighborhood. You want a hot meal, come down and get it. Fraud eliminated, and the majority of the people that are on the government take because it's free and convenient sure aren't going to haul down to the soup kitchen for a hot meal, they will find a way to get food on their own (work).

If you have an iPhone with a $120/month data plan, you don't need public assistance.
If you smoke cigarettes ($10/pack) you don't need public assistance.
If you have brand new designer shoes and clothes and a car payment, you don't need public assistance.

This is obviously not the popular opinion around here, hence why this city is in major debt trouble and will continue to get worse as time goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,950,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvernsey View Post
This is a problem in every state in the nation. I moved here from FL, it was unreal there. People had two separate shopping carts, all the "EBT" (as they call it there) products in one cart, and then they would pull out a wad of cash to pay for all the stuff they couldn't buy on it from the other cart. Even worse, people get on Link/EBT and sell products that they buy for .50 on the dollar. Some guy in FL recently got busted for funding his entire restaurant by trading out people with EBT cards for product. People in NYC are buying boxes of cereal and shipping them in 50 gallon blue plastic buckets to the Dominican Republic. This entire program needs to be shut down and reworked. These aren't isolated incidents, it's an epidemic that builds an army of government dependent liberal voters and wastes millions of tax dollars while doing it.
This is the actual goal of all Democrats / progressives / liberals.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 PM

125 posts, read 171,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
This is the actual goal of all Democrats / progressives / liberals.
Well, it's definitely the goal of the politicians and those in the know, but there are plenty of 'feel good' oblivious liberals that really aren't aware of this. They also still think that Unions are about worker's rights.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:18 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,444,230 times
Chicago is in major debt because of welfare? lololololololol

Old 08-12-2013, 12:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,035,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Chicago is in major debt because of welfare? lololololololol
I know, right? How ridiculous.. It's almost as ridiculous as getting mad at people on welfare instead of all the federal tax dollars that go to war..

Old 08-12-2013, 01:09 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,918,561 times
Default some people work and benefit from link.

I'm all for link card/welfare system reform. I'm also for politician reform too as well as a media reform. Maybe I need reform. Lol.

Some of the posts are about as ignorant as they come.
The same people posting and generalizing and calling people lazy are the same ones who post that Mc Donald workers need to stay at minimum wage. That is so backwards. Everything is seen through politics and they loose all common sense and knowledge when writing about the welfare system.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:22 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,021,750 times
Aren't the LINK cards supposed to be a temporary stop-gap to help someone get back on their feet while between jobs or whatever?
Is there a limit to how long someone can be on welfare/use a Link card?
I'm not referring to someone who's disabled or has a legit excuse for not working but rather those who don't want to work because they get everything they need through a social program.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:22 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,566,874 times
doublenickles and lenniel are such trash

Old 08-12-2013, 05:29 AM

144 posts, read 145,421 times
City data gets more interesting by the day. Some of the posters have aneurysms when they see a post they don't agree with and have this holier than thou attitude, yet some of the post in this thread are so ridiculous that it's not even funny. If you don't like link cards why aren't you complaining to politicians. Is city data supposed to eliminate link cards? The government automatically approves some college students that are involved in work study in a certain income bracket. Is it the college student's fault. I'm sure according to city data's standards it is. smh

Old 08-12-2013, 07:15 AM

285 posts, read 384,488 times
A couple years ago, some guy in the South Loop Jewel tried to sell me his grocery bennies for cash. I declined. One person abusing the system doesn't make it commonplace. I doubt there's any data to back this up, but I would wager that the vast majority of people using Link cards are using them "appropriately".

And the "gangsters" holding Link cards are probably often using their family's card. Just because you're a hopper doesn't mean you don't buy your mom a gallon of milk if she needs it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago