Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:46 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times

Advertisements

Take the Metra. You'll arrive at Ogilvie Station downtown. From there to the area by the Thompson Center (where the Clark stop is) is around a ten minute walk, tops. I do some regular consulting work WAY east of there (at Wacker and Michigan) and take the Metra anyway because it's faster, cleaner, more comfortable, and I enjoy the long walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Take the Metra. You'll arrive at Ogilvie Station downtown. From there to the area by the Thompson Center (where the Clark stop is) is around a ten minute walk, tops. I do some regular consulting work WAY east of there (at Wacker and Michigan) and take the Metra anyway because it's faster, cleaner, more comfortable, and I enjoy the long walk.
Do the underground walkways connect over there for really crappy weather days? I never rode METRA myself.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:16 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Consider Ogilvie Transportation Center (and nearby Union Station) to be our equivalents to Grand Central Terminal or Penn Station in New York. Although Ogilvie is WAYYY less busy than Grand Central, Penn Station, and even Chicago's own Union Station, it is well connected to the Loop via buses & to a certain extent by el train too. Depending where along Clark you'll be working, you can either take an eastbound bus (from Washington St.) into the Loop, or you can walk two blocks north, and catch a Loop-bound Green or Pink Line CTA train to the Clark / Lake station. If you're in a huge hurry, you can cab it as well (it's easy to find cabs there, almost like NYC lol). Huge tip here.....if you want to avoid some of the crowds, hustle & bustle & rush, you can utilize the northern exit / entrance at Ogilvie Transportation Center. The staircases leading downstairs bring you to this somewhat more low-key area. It's SOOOOOOOOO much better than the insane super long staircase uphill climb to the Madison Street exit from Union Station, that I can tell you for sure. Other than the historic architectural design at Union Station, I hate commuting through it. Ogilvie is much easier to commute in and out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachb7 View Post
I saw the metra wasn't that long a ride into the city.. but I'll be working right next to the Clark stop in the loop, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get from the last stop on the Metra to the loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago