U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM

158 posts, read 273,055 times

Advertisements

Look it's still a pretty safe neighborhood by city standards. However it isn't anywhere near as safe as it was 15 or 20 years ago or even 10 years ago. You never heard about this stuff back then. My Aunt who lives in Edison Park now lived in Portage Park from the mid 70's to the early 90's right near Waveland and Menard. I don't think there were three shooting in that area in the entire 15 plus years she lived there!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 11:34 AM

2,426 posts, read 3,932,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
Look it's still a pretty safe neighborhood by city standards. However it isn't anywhere near as safe as it was 15 or 20 years ago or even 10 years ago. You never heard about this stuff back then. My Aunt who lives in Edison Park now lived in Portage Park from the mid 70's to the early 90's right near Waveland and Menard. I don't think there were three shooting in that area in the entire 15 plus years she lived there!
While I think you are still overreacting, it is true that it's not as safe as it used to be.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
NO to your first guess. At one time, it was a very nice, safe, "bedroom community" of sorts. You could live on your block, go to the corner store, the corner drug store too, the park, run out to the Tastee Freeze truck, and go to sleep with doors UNLOCKED.

Now, more crime has entered the neighborhood, the old shop owners many of them have moved out, like the dentist i had, garages have been broken into, more home robberies.. neighborhood is more integrated, is turning Hispanic, used to be more Polish and Italian, now it is more mixed race..

the demographics have changed, something I noticed when driving down Diversey Ave from the lake to Oak Park - this is not meant to be a derogatory comment but a comment meant to show that demographics have changed - the dividing line for the west side was North Ave, then slowly the west siders moved north to the railroad tracks, then in the past 10? years the west siders have moved north past the railroad tracks (the ones between Fullerton and North Ave on Central Ave) are now to Fullerton, and now on my travel down Diversey, black people were seen walking on Diversey, which was unheard of in the 1970's. (in the 1980's i wasn't around so i dont know). Please dont take this as a negative, just an observation.

Some neighborhoods as a result of the changes in demographics have been ok, but some have been for the worse, whether perceived or truism. Unfortunately, I will be bold and say that in many of the people who used to occupy Portage Cragin neighborhood, the changes in racial makeup of Portage Cragin have been negative and crime has increased the more it changed from white to other races.

You may have another opinion, but this is what I am reporting to you. Just ask the old neighbors (the ones who used to live in Portage Cragin, why they chose to move. To escape the change in demographics and crime which was upticked since raciallly changed.
The demographic changes in the neighborhood are pretty clear to see. Berwyn is 60% Latino and it is still a pretty safe community. Generally a community will be okay if you have a lot of home owners. Portage Park and Belmont Cragin have more renters. If the apartments are cheap that is a problem. It's alot more about economics than race.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:53 AM

1,664 posts, read 2,030,705 times
Gotta love that Patio theater there. I didn't know the neighborhood was falling; kind of disheartening to hear

Old 08-14-2013, 12:07 PM

The key to Portage Park's future for me is revitalizing 6 corners. It just looks like an eyesore driving past there now. Oh yeah I love the Portage and Patio Theater's too. It is a travesty that the Portage has been shutdown!

Old 08-14-2013, 01:51 PM

13,310 posts, read 15,162,190 times
The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » The Growing Public Safety Inequality Gap in Chicago by Daniel Hertz

I'm pretty sure that Portage Park is safer according to this map now than it was 10 years ago.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:21 PM

928 posts, read 1,559,848 times
Right. There are more brown people in Portage now (cue ominous music, perhaps mariachi since that seems to be terrifying to people), but it hasn't become more dangerous. I don't see how any can possibly interpret this as an area in which one's safety needs to be feared.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:37 PM

13,310 posts, read 15,162,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Right. There are more brown people in Portage now (cue ominous music, perhaps mariachi since that seems to be terrifying to people), but it hasn't become more dangerous. I don't see how any can possibly interpret this as an area in which one's safety needs to be feared.
Unfortunately, I think you're right about people being scared of brown people. Looks like Lincoln Square has as much crime as Portage Park.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM

8,279 posts, read 10,653,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Mariachi music is terrifying? Who knew?

Old 08-14-2013, 03:51 PM

117 posts, read 184,995 times
Default If your aunt and uncle aren't concerned

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
It is stunning to see how much Portage Park has gone downhill over the last 10 years especially the last 5 years. There were 5 people shot there in less than a 48 hour span in two shootings by Irving and Central and the park this Weekend including a 4 year old Girl. There was a gang member shot dead 1 block south of the park along Central in January. Oh yeah and last year there was a shooting near Addison and Laramie and two just two blocks North of Six Corners and a fatal one by Cicero and Grace. My Uncle and his Wife still live on Grace and Menard and I'm starting to fear for their safety in the area. They are in their 70's so they aren't moving even though they could afford to.
then why would you be? If they can afford to move and won't, then move on to something else to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago