Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 01:21 PM

9 posts, read 8,745 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all.
So my husband got a job in Chicago and we are looking to move to the area around April 1st from Minneapolis. We have come here and viewed at least 12 apartments, and none were that amazing for us to sign a lease right there. Well, its crunch time and after some late nights searching online, we found one that seems perfect. It is located in East Rogers Park(on North Greenview and Birchwood to be exact) and we were wondering if any of you locals could help us with a description of the area. I know we've been through it, but we scoured that whole city while we were there and I honestly cant remember much about it. Hows the walkability? He would use the car for work and I'm totally okay with public transportation. What that crime do? Whats that nightlife like? Just wondering because I want this apartment so bad and it seems like a neat area.

I have seen some conversations on this topic, but want more up to date advice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 02:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,779,379 times
Looks a bit too close to Howard Street for me - that's a higher crime area than east closer to the lake. You would be able to walk to the *el* at Howard or Jarvis, though it might be a relatively long walk depending on what distance you like to walk.

Last edited by Acntx; 03-07-2016 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Thread has been moved to the appropriate forum.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:05 AM

725 posts, read 3,004,907 times
Pratt & Ashland (3 streets west of Greenview) has always been a trouble spot with undesirable activity. There's a police camera at that corner. But as you'll come to find out soon, crime really varies block by block - so Greenview could be totally fine. I used to live in RP several years ago on Greenview/Greenleaf, just north of your current location, and had no problems.

There isn't much nightlife in Rogers Park as compared to say, Lakeview or Wrigleyville (bars galore). But RP has its main corridor of shops/retail/restaurant and a couple bars off Morse Ave.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:39 PM

28 posts, read 53,769 times
I lived on Greenview and Birchwood from 1995-1998- HORRIBLE and it hasn't changed much. If you have children I definitely would not live in this area. If you are young, street smart, and don't mind living in an urban environment where you have to be cautious at all times, then go for it.
The problem with that area is it's kind of secluded and rift raft run the streets at night.
There is VERY little nightlife in that area and walking to the Howard EL is not suggested after dark, especially alone.
Why are you set on E. Rogers Park?
If you are totally set on E. Rogers Park, I would suggest east of Sheridan. You can get some decent and affordable rentals east of Sheridan between Howard and Loyola. The area around Heartland Café on Lunt is better and a bit safer and anything within a couple of blocks of Loyola is pretty safe too.
Also consider Andersonville, Sheridan Park/Buena Park, and Edgewater. Those areas are close to RP but have much more to offer for nightlife and safety.
Good Luck!

Old 03-18-2016, 02:57 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,697,107 times
Whatever you do, do NOT move to the top floor of any of the buildings on Greenleaf (or possibly very close to that street) that have a barrel tile roof (Google it).

Unless you want to deal with living with bats in your bedroom as I have been for months now.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:00 PM

725 posts, read 3,004,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingtookc View Post
... and walking to the Howard EL is not suggested after dark, especially alone.
Not sure why OP would need to walk all the way up to the Howard station. There's a station at Morse (and one at Loyola, although the former is probably the closest to OP's cross-street in question). But I do agree, the Howard station can get kind of sketch.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:08 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,697,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
Not sure why OP would need to walk all the way up to the Howard station. There's a station at Morse (and one at Loyola, although the former is probably the closest to OP's cross-street in question). But I do agree, the Howard station can get kind of sketch.
There's also a station at Jarvis.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:14 PM

846 posts, read 1,392,385 times
I lived in that area from Dec 2014 - Oct 2015 (near Ashland/Howard). We actually paid to break our lease because of our concern for our personal safety. I was walking outside at about 8:30pm, walking a dog, and while outside walking the dog there were about 5 gunshots 3 houses up. We ducked behind a car (albeit, it's hard to duck behind a car with a pit bull). I would not recommend it at all. Surely, there are other options.

While the area has robust basic amenities like Jewel, Sol coffee (which is very good), a plot from Peterson Garden Project, gas, a few bars, Public Storage, laundry facilities, lots of public transit... it is far outweighed by the crime. In addition, access to trails along the lake is limited in the area and are not consistent. Parking is a PITA after 7/8pm.

Do as you wish, just giving my perspective. My apologies for being so grim.

Look up crime stats and compare. In addition, an area near there is called "Juneway Jungle" which has a lot of spillover to neighboring blocks.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:55 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,085,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I lived in that area from Dec 2014 - Oct 2015 (near Ashland/Howard). We actually paid to break our lease because of our concern for our personal safety.
Does anyone have any stories where... leasing company broke the lease, or allowed you to move out, due to personal safety?

Or do they have to wait for an actual crime to happen. And if so, any after the crime?

Old 03-20-2016, 06:03 PM

9,885 posts, read 9,498,422 times
Please, i am not kidding on this. go to the BedBug Registry and see if your building has any reports. you will not want to rent one of those apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: