Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 PM

113 posts, read 144,124 times

Advertisements

Has anyone experienced scuba diving in Lake Michigan? Is it fun/worth it to do the open water portion of the certification there or wait to do it somewhere else like the Caribbean? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:23 PM

44 posts, read 75,116 times
It's a lot of fun, but c-c-cold. Work on your dry suit skills and it's a lot more enjoyable.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:40 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,237,262 times
Mostly people scuba to see shipwrecks in the Great Lakes. Any of the local outfitters can give you more information. There are several near the city.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:44 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,751,831 times
Usually the open water certifications are done in a reservoir or smaller lake here I THINK, although maybe a few are in the lake itself. There's some great shipwrecks there, and IMO actually learning it in some murky water is good. The first time I dove was in the Caribbean and my instructor was from Holland. He explained to me how the best divers actually do their first training in crap, murky water because they have to pay attention more to what's going on.

Some spots in the Caribbean are amazing though and around the world. If you have a chance to just do an exploratory dive there, do it. My first dive site was in the British Virgin Islands which was absolutely ****ing amazing and surreal. If you are ever in the Mediterranean/Egypt or Arabian Sea, India, etc those are great, great dive areas too.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:24 PM

80 posts, read 129,749 times
out of curiosity, how would someone get certified or trained in scuba? what's the place to train at here in chicago?

Old 08-14-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrid View Post
out of curiosity, how would someone get certified or trained in scuba? what's the place to train at here in chicago?
You take a course for it which usually includes a class that you usually have to be at in person. Varies per instructor/academy but it's usually a few days for numerous hours each. Usually that costs a few hundred bucks. Then they usually make you do some sort of swim test to make sure you can do that, and then you have to do some dives usually in a pool to learn the basic skills first, and then you go to something like a quarry or small lake to do a few more. If you pass, then you get certified to dive pretty much anywhere in the world

Best Places To Get Scuba Diving Lessons In Chicago « CBS Chicago

Old 08-14-2013, 04:39 PM

80 posts, read 129,749 times
nice. thanks.

sounds like something I could get into.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:43 PM

It's fun, and has a little bit of danger to it (you could die of course doing this which is why it's good to get certified and know your ****). The first time I dove, I actually almost passed out as I came up to shore and then when I dove later that day, I came up to find I had a bloody nose. If you've had nasal surgery or anything in the last year, you shouldn't dive.

I should mention that most of the small dives you do during certification usually cost more too. Some academies have a package deal where you could pay for your course and 2 dives or something at once.

Really though, if you get to dive in some amazing spots, it's just absolutely amazing and surreal. Like an alien world really.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:34 PM

113 posts, read 144,124 times
I started at the local YMCA - they had a flyer for scubalessons and I took several initial courses at the pool there. I didn't do anyof the open water dives but have had acquaintances that spent a week or so anddid the certification dives in the Caribbean (one a day). The company that wasat the YMCA hasn't returned my calls so I am looking into other alternatives aswell now so thanks for the link. As I get more information I will most posthere for anyone that might be interested. It does appear that the vendor I amlooking at now does the open water portion in a quarry in Kankakee (not in LakeMichigan) but also offer the opportunity to do the dives in Cozumel, MX orsimilar? Doesn't really seem like a fair comparison but I guess you also do notneed to waste your time on vacation learning the basics.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,637 times
Default scuba diving lake superior

I am also looking for info on scuba diving in the U.P. of Michigan. I would like to shoredive on some wrecks but can never find too much info to point me in the right direction. I am certified. Just do not want to charter a boat for a weekend trip. I have searched online and contacted COC's. Most are boat dives. There has got to be things of interest reachable by shore one would think. Anyone out there who has anything to share on the subject? Hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: