Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 01:19 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,893 times

Advertisements

Too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 01:29 PM

285 posts, read 385,806 times
Garrett Popcorn...just kidding.

Skip the Willis Tower and walk along Michigan Avenue to the Hancock. The observatory is free, though I think you have to at least buy a drink, since it's part of the Signature Room restaurant/lounge. Millennium Park for sure, and the Art Institute if you like art. I would also wander around the Museum Campus, especially if you'd rather do another/different museum (Adler Planetarium, Field Museum of natural history, Shedd Aquarium). Navy Pier is a tourist trap, though I enjoy it for what it is; however it is deceptively out of the way, so I would skip it. If time allows, take a boat tour; you'll learn about the Loop & Chicago history, and you'll probably go through the locks out into Lake Michigan.

For food you have so many choices. Lots of great places and I can't recommend just one. Use Yelp to find one that fits your taste.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,600 times
Why not just do a Hop On/ Hop Off Bus Tour? That way you can see a majority of the "touristy" things of the city without having to stress over transportation.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:52 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Navy Pier is a massive waste of time, nothing but a bunch of cheap crap for sale and overpriced food and drinks, a tourist trap, not even a interesting one.
To each their own I guess... Navy Pier itself is free and offers some great views of the city and lake. IMO, it's a nice place to hang out for a tourist and there's a free shuttle that runs around town to/from Navy Pier so it's relatively quick and easy to access. We even caught a Cirque du Soleil show while at Navy Pier, which was cool. Also, the Ferris wheel is pretty cool too (for a tourist ). Plus, quite a bit of shopping there if one is into that...

I'm not pumping NP as the best place to go with only half a day to spare, but if one has the time, it should definitely be on the list.

btw, here's a killer site for discounted tickets to all kinds of events in Chitown, including an architecture cruise and Cirque at NP > http://www.hottix.org/

Old 08-14-2013, 03:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times
Navy Pier is really only worth going to if you're going one one of the boat tours that leaves from there. Otherwise I would avoid it like the plague. It's basically just a bunch of mediocre overpriced restaurants situated within blocks of much better ones of every type and price range.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:07 PM

4 posts, read 3,856 times
Park at Navy Pier. We like to use NP as 'home base' during our Chicago day trips.
From there take the water taxi to the museum campus. Great boat ride offering skyline picture op....
Take some pics and check out Soldier Field.
Then walk through Grant Park and check out Eleven City Diner for lunch. It's on S Wabash.
From there walk a block back to S Michigan and take a left and stroll up Michigan Ave....can cross the street and check out the park,bean,etc.
Keep going up Michigan to Hancock Center.
You can pay for the observatory or get a drink in the lounge.

I don't suggest doing a specific thing like the Shedd because you don't want to spend 3 hours on one thing and have half the day gone. Chicago is so beautiful and I think for a day trip it's best to just explore the city take lots of pics eat great food people watch and just enjoy being there.

From the Hancock I would go grab a pizza somewhere and make your way back to Navy Pier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: