Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 09:31 PM

16 posts, read 23,794 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have a potential job lined up that would land me in Chicago and I have a few questions. I'll try to provide some background on myself.

1) I have never been to Chicago
2) The job is located on North Wacker Drive, I know it's basically a 5 minute walk from the Metra station
3) My max rent is probably going to be $1200/month
4) I am married, and my wife will find a job but her area is not very high paying at all (at the moment)
5) We're a young couple, early 30's. We don't need anything hip or cool necessarily. We come from suburban Long Island, so we would like to duplicate that as much as we could in IL. So I'm talking safe areas (for the most part), conveniences nearby, quiet streets, and preferably European neighborhoods (Greek, Italian, Jewish, German, you get the idea).
6) I've heard Wilmette & Evanston are nice, is that true? I don't know about costs for a decent apartment there though, we would really like a 2-bedroom, or at the very least a 1-bedroom with a smaller "bonus" room.
7) We each own a car which is important for us to get around, and I really really don't wanna pay for parking if I can help it, street parking would be nice.
8) My commute into NYC from my place here is right around 35 minutes on the train, something comparable would be cool

I'm sure I forgot something, so please, any insight would be helpful, and yes, I know I have to visit the city at some point

Thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 09:37 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Coming from Long Island, you'll most likely want to go with a suburb. I agree that Evanston & Wilmette are great choices. I also think that Glenview might be a good choice. In the western suburbs I'd consider towns like Naperville (express trains are quick, but locals aren't), Hinsdale, and perhaps some others as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
Hi all, I have a potential job lined up that would land me in Chicago and I have a few questions. I'll try to provide some background on myself.

1) I have never been to Chicago
2) The job is located on North Wacker Drive, I know it's basically a 5 minute walk from the Metra station
3) My max rent is probably going to be $1200/month
4) I am married, and my wife will find a job but her area is not very high paying at all (at the moment)
5) We're a young couple, early 30's. We don't need anything hip or cool necessarily. We come from suburban Long Island, so we would like to duplicate that as much as we could in IL. So I'm talking safe areas (for the most part), conveniences nearby, quiet streets, and preferably European neighborhoods (Greek, Italian, Jewish, German, you get the idea).
6) I've heard Wilmette & Evanston are nice, is that true? I don't know about costs for a decent apartment there though, we would really like a 2-bedroom, or at the very least a 1-bedroom with a smaller "bonus" room.
7) We each own a car which is important for us to get around, and I really really don't wanna pay for parking if I can help it, street parking would be nice.
8) My commute into NYC from my place here is right around 35 minutes on the train, something comparable would be cool

I'm sure I forgot something, so please, any insight would be helpful, and yes, I know I have to visit the city at some point

Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Evanston is nice, though I doubt that budget will afford you a 2 bedroom. More like a 1 bedroom. There is actually a not so great part of Evanston, but overall it's good. Parts are walkable and good and the East portion of it is serviced by a city train line (different than Metra).

I'm going to suggest one area of the city actually that is pretty quiet and within your budget. There are conveniences walkable there and your budget is good for a 1 bedroom and maybe even a 2 bedroom if you're really lucky, or for slightly more (my ex girlfriend last year had a place there that was $1250/month for a 2 bedroom, but that might be hard to find now). It's in the city and it's on both the Metra AND the the El city trains. On the el the ride is about 30 minutes or maybe less to the area you need to go, or near it. On the Metra, it might even be 15.

The area I'm talking about is Ravenswood/Lincoln Square/North Center. It's kind of like an older suburb with walkable amenities. Street parking is free there, but if you want a private space it might cost you. In the burbs, you're more likely to not have to pay for your more private parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago