Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating into the city of Chicago, Lincoln Square neighborhood possibility, cheaper Ravenswood, public transportation, Brown Line, Red Line, Ravenswood Metra

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:47 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times

Advertisements

This is totally correct. The crumbling old CTA trains arrive frequently, but they take FOREVER to get to the Loop or to Evanston sometimes. Not to mention the frequent stops along the way because of "signals ahead" or "track work" lol. On top of that, Metra provides Chicago area residents (both city & suburbanites) with a great bargain. You can ride the cushy seated heavy commuter rail train at a pretty decent price (like $2.05 probably from Ravenswood to downtown I'm guessing?). That train literally FLIES through the north side. It's so key, that I'm pretty sure that even Lincoln Park residents are boarding at stations such as Clybourn for their reverse commute treks to the suburbs (not everyone has a job in the Loop, let's remember that). If the Metra had a stop in Lincoln Park/Lakeview, it would probably be even more packed than the Ravenswood stop, which is already the busiest stop on the Union Pacific North Line (busier than ALL the suburban stops on that line believe it or not). Try getting a bargain like that in New York City on a Metro North train into Manhattan from Harlem or the Bronx, or on a Manhattan-bound Long Island Railroad train out of Queens....you may spend like at least $5 or $6 for a similar intercity ride (without even touching the true suburbs). They'll KILL you with fees in New York if you have to purchase your ticket onboard the train (in Chicago they only charge like a $2 surcharge on the Metra if you didn't pre-purchase your ticket at a station where there's a ticket agent when you boarded). We get one of the best bargains in the country when it comes to commuter rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Avengerfire, you're certainly correct. These are all options, and I hope the OP never got from my comments that they weren't. One thing these options can't offer you, however, is the opportunity to be in the loop in LITERALLY 15 minutes or in Evanston in 6-12 minutes depending on which stop you're trying for. Living near the Ravenswood metra can do that. In addition, you'd be minutes from the Brown Line or Red Line if you do decided to go for the CTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 09:12 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
This is totally correct. The crumbling old CTA trains arrive frequently, but they take FOREVER to get to the Loop or to Evanston sometimes. Not to mention the frequent stops along the way because of "signals ahead" or "track work" lol. On top of that, Metra provides Chicago area residents (both city & suburbanites) with a great bargain. You can ride the cushy seated heavy commuter rail train at a pretty decent price (like $2.05 probably from Ravenswood to downtown I'm guessing?). That train literally FLIES through the north side. It's so key, that I'm pretty sure that even Lincoln Park residents are boarding at stations such as Clybourn for their reverse commute treks to the suburbs (not everyone has a job in the Loop, let's remember that). If the Metra had a stop in Lincoln Park/Lakeview, it would probably be even more packed than the Ravenswood stop, which is already the busiest stop on the Union Pacific North Line (busier than ALL the suburban stops on that line believe it or not). Try getting a bargain like that in New York City on a Metro North train into Manhattan from Harlem or the Bronx, or on a Manhattan-bound Long Island Railroad train out of Queens....you may spend like at least $5 or $6 for a similar intercity ride (without even touching the true suburbs). They'll KILL you with fees in New York if you have to purchase your ticket onboard the train (in Chicago they only charge like a $2 surcharge on the Metra if you didn't pre-purchase your ticket at a station where there's a ticket agent when you boarded). We get one of the best bargains in the country when it comes to commuter rail.
Yeah, I don't want to beat this thing to death, but I live nearish to the Ravenswood stop and ride it all the time. To get to either Evanston or the Loop is 2.15 if you purchase your ticket on the train (since there isn't a ticket agent at Ravenswood). You can buy a 10-ride, though, for 18.30 which is 1.83 a ride. 17 cents cheaper than the el.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:37 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Default All I was saying was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Yeah, I don't want to beat this thing to death, but I live nearish to the Ravenswood stop and ride it all the time. To get to either Evanston or the Loop is 2.15 if you purchase your ticket on the train (since there isn't a ticket agent at Ravenswood). You can buy a 10-ride, though, for 18.30 which is 1.83 a ride. 17 cents cheaper than the el.
If they wanted to save money on rent there are other options. The CTA will take longer and not as comfortable and such. I was taking the rent saving angle with allowing them to be in a decent cheaper area not too far off the beaten path. If I could save hundreds a month by moving a few blocks ;I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago