Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:03 PM

25 posts, read 36,727 times

Advertisements

I want to start a little coffee bar in Chicago. What neighborhood will be good to start a small coffee bar that has like some coffee drinks and some baked goods? I want lots of potential foot traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:05 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,812,949 times
Avondale, specifically on Belmont between California and Sacramento. The area is kind of booming in regards to hot businesses/restaurants. There are some good empty storefronts on Belmont next to Kuma's. The thing is there really isn't a coffee shop in that area, but it is much needed and trust me if you put one there A LOT of people in the area would be happy.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:09 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,841,495 times
Depends on if you want an up and coming neighborhood or a currently established one?

* Established - Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, Andersonville/Edgewater, North Center, Hyde Park, University Village/Little Italy, etc. Also some parts of the Gold Coast or River North are still neighborhoody (especially Gold Coast).

* Up and Coming - Avondale, parts of Logan Square, Ukrainian Village/East Village/Noble Square, maybe parts of Humboldt Park closer to UK Village, Bridgeport, Pilsen, Albany Park, Rogers Park, maybe Bronzeville.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Depends on if you want an up and coming neighborhood or a currently established one?

* Established - Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, Andersonville/Edgewater, North Center, Hyde Park, University Village/Little Italy, etc. Also some parts of the Gold Coast or River North are still neighborhoody (especially Gold Coast).

* Up and Coming - Avondale, parts of Logan Square, Ukrainian Village/East Village/Noble Square, maybe parts of Humboldt Park closer to UK Village, Bridgeport, Pilsen, Albany Park, Rogers Park, maybe Bronzeville.
Logan Square though in the northern section is starting to get a little saturated with coffee shops though.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:17 PM

I want up and coming because it will be a few years before I move there.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazziecatz View Post
From my experience I would shoot for Avondale. It's really lacking a good coffee shop, but it has a huge influx of hipsters and young professionals moving in, and a lot of hot restaurants that are very popular, like Kuma's, Honey Butter Fried Chicken, Hot Doug's just to name a few.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazziecatz View Post
That's good. I am glad someone wants to invest in an up and coming area of the city - that's great. I think for those areas knowing the culture and population centers help. Most of these areas have more than enough people in them.

Another thing to look at is, maybe, looking at the train stops. Personally, once I see a place is within short walking distance to a train stop, it makes it more attractive to me. Pretty much all of the areas I listed have train stops in them with the exception of Humboldt Park. Ukrainian Village/East Village/Noble Square area has one stop kind of on the edge.

Bronzeville to me has always been fascinating. It was basically Chicago's Harlem and very historic AA community. Some of the biggest names in Jazz and Blues history used to hang out in that neighborhood too. Great location, with a train stop or two and it's only like a 15 minute ride on the Green Line train to the middle of the Loop. I don't understand how it's not bigger again (it used to be huge - but the living conditions were terrible). There's only 20,000 people there today (80,000 were there in 1950), although the Illinois Institute of Technology is there which has about 8000 students.

As UrbanCheetah has stated though, Avondale would not be a bad location for it if you don't contribute to the resurgence of a once great neighborhood like Bronzeville. I also think that Albany Park is a good candidate. This is a place that's really racially integrated with a few train stops on it and about 55,000 people. It's home to Koreatown (or what's left of it) and also now a small kind of "little Arab" section of town. A lot of Hispanic people there as well. Great area that a lot of yuppies kind of haven't discovered yet but has a lot of people (a lot of families).

Old 11-13-2013, 05:29 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,164,534 times
Really well written article:

My coffeehouse nightmare.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Really well written article:

My coffeehouse nightmare.
You could say this about many businesses. Although many stay open, they can cause headaches for the owners very often. The author of this article also opened one up in the Lower East Side. That is a little different than opening up one in an "up and coming" neighborhood IMO. Both can cause headaches, but financially it may be a bit different.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You could say this about many businesses. Although many stay open, they can cause headaches for the owners very often. The author of this article also opened one up in the Lower East Side. That is a little different than opening up one in an "up and coming" neighborhood IMO. Both can cause headaches, but financially it may be a bit different.
I agree also New York is a very different city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago