Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:05 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

The Chicago tough guy talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
That's them, when one asked me for money I said "Go ask your mom" but the loser was quick with a reply "my moms dead!" - I just said "Bull****" and threw my lit cigarette at him and the group and kept walking, that ended things.
I'm sometimes tempted to panhandle just to see how many people will give me money and how much I can make in a day. But your response is making me think twice. I don't like getting stuff thrown at me, especially lit cigarettes. It appears panhandling is just like any other job -- a lot harder than it looks.

Besides, I might run into someone I know -- which might be, er, embarrassing.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:54 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
ahh, you are describing the lazy-ass panhandlers on Belmont & Clark. I love those turkeys, so incredibly entitled that they just sit there with a cup or hat for money while a few hundred feet away some dude 25 years their senior is on his feet and hustling to sell Streetwise.
God those morons. They spread out across the entire sidewalk and act all "edgy". I feel bad for their dogs. When it's rush hour and the sidewalk is full of people trying to get around them I always move a bit to the right and then "accidentally" kick their **** over or "trip" over their legs. I don't budge an inch.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
This tells me you are just arguing to argue,
Nope, just calling it like I see it, and like most others appear to see it, as well. I'm no fan of economically privileged panhandlers, but I also know enough to not assume anyone is privileged, and to not physically assault them even if they are. Seems like common sense and basic human decency (not to mention self-preservation) to me, but hey, what do I know?

Old 09-06-2013, 04:13 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Nope, just calling it like I see it, and like most others appear to see it, as well. I'm no fan of economically privileged panhandlers, but I also know enough to not assume anyone is privileged, and to not physically assault them even if they are. Seems like common sense and basic human decency (not to mention self-preservation) to me, but hey, what do I know?
I'm positive I can tell the difference between homeless panhandlers and suburban kids pretending they need money, it's not difficult, there's glaring differences.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
I'm positive I can tell the difference between homeless panhandlers and suburban kids
Well that's good. It's important to spot the difference, since only people with homes deserve to have fire on them. Would hate to burn the wrong ones.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to nearnorth again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
This is not good.

There is no excuse for a man in his 40's to be acting this way with a teenager.

If this did happen the way you said it did, you will probably find the trouble you're looking for one day soon.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mjtinmemphis again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
You're in your 40s and you felt justified in assaulting some teenagers because they were annoying?
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lorilicious again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Can't tell if he's trying to impress us or actually did this. Either way, not the brightest bulb.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Plzeň again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I agree that NearNorth acts like a huge douche on this website. But I have trouble sympathizing with the person he's attacking this time.
You must spread some Reputation around before...nah, just kidding, I would never rep this guy, even if he's partially right this time for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
That's a pretty outlandish claim you're making with absolutely no proof. You sound like a know-it-all dick with a hint of envy for these supposedly wealthy teenagers.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to It'sAutomatic again.

In sum, it would be nice if CD would let us continue to acknowledge the best posters without forcing us to spread it around to the sh*tty ones in between.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:08 PM

80 posts, read 130,509 times
Quote:
I'm positive I can tell the difference between homeless panhandlers and suburban kids pretending they need money, it's not difficult, there's glaring differences.
a good number of the crusties (the panhandlers with dogs, olive green clothing, patches, anarcho-punk roots, etc) are basically train kids. they're from all over and hop trains and squat in punk houses when they're not on the streets. they end up in chicago for a little while before moving on. these are not chicago suburbanites.

I'd say their level of obnoxiousness is on par with the rest of society.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post

You must spread some Reputation around before...nah, just kidding, I would never rep this guy, even if he's partially right this time for once.
Ouch. Too bad you're either lying or forgetful:

Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
From my cell phone instead of a screen shot of my monitor:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago