Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:13 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times

Advertisements

My roommates and I moved out of East Humboldt Park (I can honestly say I'll miss the neighborhood, esp. the park) to an apartment off of Belmont, east of Damen, west of Ashland. We've been debating whether this means we now live in Roscoe Village or West Lakeview. I'm not even sure if West Lakeview is a legit area and not just another realtor term like "west Wicker Park" or "West Bucktown". I've heard everything west of Ashland is Roscoe Village, but I've also heard that R.V. starts west of Damen. just curious where exactly are we
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 11:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
For a long time the accepted border was Damen or Ravenswood (the yuppie pioneers erected a sign on the overpass at Ravenswood and Roscoe stating "Welcome to Roscoe Village" and it still stands today.) For some reason, in the last few years people have been trying to push it to Lincoln or Ashland. It still really is Ravenswood at the most.

West Lake View is not really a neighborhood-it just is the western portion of the Lake View neighborhood.

The Roscoe Village subdivision of Lake View is between Addison,Belmont,Damen and Western. Of course,years ago, we all called that area Lake View or West Lake View. When Riverview stood the area was also called Riverview. But the yuppies wanted to hype an area to prop up values so they used the name of the builder's subdivision and forced it down people's throats.

If you go next to the Paulina (at Lincoln) station of the Brown Line you will see signage put up by the CTA and the city that clearly marks the location of the station as Lake View.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-05-2010 at 11:44 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
...off of Belmont, east of Damen, west of Ashland. We've been debating whether this means we now live in Roscoe Village or West Lakeview...
Without giving out your address if you gave the cross streets (or the hundred) that would help.

Good luck btw. I think you will be MUCH happier in the area you are now in.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
For a long time the accepted border was Damen or Ravenswood (the yuppie pioneers erected a sign on the overpass at Ravenswood and Roscoe stating "Welcome to Roscoe Village" and it still stands today.) For some reason, in the last few years people have been trying to push it to Lincoln or Ashland. It still really is Ravenswood at the most.

West Lake View is not really a neighborhood-it just is the western portion of the Lake View neighborhood.

The Roscoe Village subdivision of Lake View is between Addison,Belmont,Damen and Western. Of course,years ago, we all called that area Lake View or West Lake View. When Riverview stood the area was also called Riverview. But the yuppies wanted to hype an area to prop up values so they used the name of the builder's subdivision and forced it down people's throats.

If you go next to the Paulina (at Lincoln) station of the Brown Line you will see signage put up by the CTA and the city that clearly marks the location of the station as Lake View.
Why do you insist on making yuppies seem like the enemy? God forbid you'd want a neighborhood of people who work hard, take care of their property, upgrade their houses and increase property values for everyone.
Yeh, that's horrible. Damn yuppies.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Why do you insist on making yuppies seem like the enemy? God forbid you'd want a neighborhood of people who work hard, take care of their property, upgrade their houses and increase property values for everyone.
Yeh, that's horrible. Damn yuppies.
I love people like that.

What a lot of transplants never seem to understand is that many existing (def. not all) Chicagoans were working at that for decades & did so through bad economic times when others fled to the burbs.

Increased property values are not only meaningless, they're destructive if they reflect speculation (the current housing market should be a clue here).

People who improve schools, volunteer in their neighborhoods, raise kids who are good citizens, etc. - these are people who are improving neighborhoods. Magically deciding the 1700 block of W. Belmont is now "Roscoe Village" by putting up a blinkin' sign is the epitome of not getting it.

And what on earth makes you think working class people don't improve their houses? As someone who has put an insane amount of sweat equity into mine, don't even think of telling me I haven't improved my home. I've planted trees, had dozens of trees planted on surrounding blocks, phone in graffiti on at least a monthly basis, etc.

But one clarification - West Lakeview is not actually clarifying a part of Lake View in the official Community Area sense (it might be in terms of Lake View, the original suburb) - pretty sure it's technically North Center once you get past Ravenswood.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I love people like that.

What a lot of transplants never seem to understand is that many existing (def. not all) Chicagoans were working at that for decades & did so through bad economic times when others fled to the burbs.

Increased property values are not only meaningless, they're destructive if they reflect speculation (the current housing market should be a clue here).

People who improve schools, volunteer in their neighborhoods, raise kids who are good citizens, etc. - these are people who are improving neighborhoods. Magically deciding the 1700 block of W. Belmont is now "Roscoe Village" by putting up a blinkin' sign is the epitome of not getting it.

And what on earth makes you think working class people don't improve their houses? As someone who has put an insane amount of sweat equity into mine, don't even think of telling me I haven't improved my home. I've planted trees, had dozens of trees planted on surrounding blocks, phone in graffiti on at least a monthly basis, etc.

But one clarification - West Lakeview is not actually clarifying a part of Lake View in the official Community Area sense (it might be in terms of Lake View, the original suburb) - pretty sure it's technically North Center once you get past Ravenswood.
What on earth makes you think people in white collar jobs don't work just as hard as people in blue collar or 'working class' jobs? While a lawyer, doctor or business exec may not be in a physically demanding job, most of them also don't work 9-5 with their work being done when the time card is punched. Most put in alot more than a 40 hr work week.

Also, there's generally a reason why you find the better schools in the more wealthy areas. It's because 'yuppies' are usually well educated, value education and want to make sure their children get the education needed to be successful. Also, with higher property values comes higher taxes and more money for the government to put towards school or helping to upgrade and area.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
What on earth makes you think people in white collar jobs don't work just as hard as people in blue collar or 'working class' jobs? While a lawyer, doctor or business exec may not be in a physically demanding job, most of them also don't work 9-5 with their work being done when the time card is punched. Most put in alot more than a 40 hr work week.

Also, there's generally a reason why you find the better schools in the more wealthy areas. It's because 'yuppies' are usually well educated, value education and want to make sure their children get the education needed to be successful. Also, with higher property values comes higher taxes and more money for the government to put towards school or helping to upgrade and area.
You're getting defensive about a rational reply to your misguided bashing of City residents that pre-date the housing boom?

You've made a few false assumptions:

1) my father is a lawyer, owns his own business. I certainly understand how hard the work is. This is completely irrelevant to the fact that societies don't function without the traditional blue collar job base.

Proof? What do you think would be a bigger problem, the city without cops, teachers, firemen & garbagemen, or the city without advertising executives & lawyers?

2) your assessment of our educational system, to be charitable, is oversimplified.

there are definitely examples of local schools that have turned around in the newly-gentrified areas.

And without exception, the initial hard work was done by a small determined band of parents, usually many years before people started moving to the neighborhood because of the school. It's a pretty clear chicken-and-the-egg thing.

And there are also loads of schools in newly-gentrified areas that, to be charitable, suck. So, there goes that argument.

You whine about being picked on and hated, but when pressed, sound like an advocate of class-warfare on a grand scale.

You came to Chicago for a reason - the people are a part of it. Without us, and OUR taxes, that infrastructure crumbled decades ago.

Here's the part of all this I find the most entertaining.

I *am* your kid.

You just don't know it.

I was raised by well-educated people (both graduates of Washington University) who moved to Chicago in 1967, in Lincoln Park.

My dad was a fixer-upper type, we lived in a two-flat in Lake View bought in 1970, he sold to one of the first duplex-rehabbers in our area in 1992.

So be careful when you're dismissing my comments, because your kids are going to grow up with similar opinions.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
You're getting defensive about a rational reply to your misguided bashing of City residents that pre-date the housing boom?

You've made a few false assumptions:

1) my father is a lawyer, owns his own business. I certainly understand how hard the work is. This is completely irrelevant to the fact that societies don't function without the traditional blue collar job base.

Proof? What do you think would be a bigger problem, the city without cops, teachers, firemen & garbagemen, or the city without advertising executives & lawyers?

2) your assessment of our educational system, to be charitable, is oversimplified.

there are definitely examples of local schools that have turned around in the newly-gentrified areas.

And without exception, the initial hard work was done by a small determined band of parents, usually many years before people started moving to the neighborhood because of the school. It's a pretty clear chicken-and-the-egg thing.

And there are also loads of schools in newly-gentrified areas that, to be charitable, suck. So, there goes that argument.

You whine about being picked on and hated, but when pressed, sound like an advocate of class-warfare on a grand scale.

You came to Chicago for a reason - the people are a part of it. Without us, and OUR taxes, that infrastructure crumbled decades ago.

Here's the part of all this I find the most entertaining.

I *am* your kid.

You just don't know it.

I was raised by well-educated people (both graduates of Washington University) who moved to Chicago in 1967, in Lincoln Park.

My dad was a fixer-upper type, we lived in a two-flat in Lake View bought in 1970, he sold to one of the first duplex-rehabbers in our area in 1992.

So be careful when you're dismissing my comments, because your kids are going to grow up with similar opinions.
I'm not getting defensive nor am I bashing. My original reply was to the person who was making it sound like yuppies were a bad thing and being a yuppie myself, I take offense.

The blue collar and service industries (cops/teachers, etc) are noble pursuits and certainly needed. And while cops and teachers are probably both underpaid, that doesn't mean a 'yuppie' should be ridiculed for doing well financially.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:33 PM

Oh lord. I offended a yuppie by using the term yuppie! Discrimination!

I merely briefly explained what happened in Roscoe Village and West Lake View in the last 15 years or so.

So there now should be a term for yuppies to avoid offending them by calling them yuppies?!

Old 10-06-2010, 02:09 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
You could probably call me a yuppie. College education, professional job etc etc. That term really doesn't bother me one bit. It's just a label and frankly a pretty accurate one a lot of the time.

If more "working class" or "blue collar" people don't like yuppies I can see why. They come in with money and SUVs and overtake neighborhoods etc. They think yuppies believe that they are better than everyone else etc etc. These are all generalizations but they aren't unfounded either.

For whatever reason blue collar and white collar people generally assume the other group dislikes their own group. It's stupid either way. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago