Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:13 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
I typically don't skip over whole threads before responding, but considering I guarantee you precisely 0% of the people who have responded until now have actually lived in California, the Bay Area or otherwise, I feel fine skipping ahead.
I've lived in California. 234 El Toyonal, Orinda, California 94563.

If you are an outdoorsman or are addicted to beautiful scenery and perfect weather, you'll find those things almost completely lacking in Chicago. As a city, however, I'd say Chicago is every bit as stimulating as SF and much, much cheaper. In marketing/advertising, Chicago is also probably a better job market although Chet Everett's warning about a recent merger reflects inside knowledge that I don't have; I'm in finance.

Many of my friends here are gay and they don't all live in Boystown. There is no issue with discrimination.

My one complaint about Chicago's culture, other than the weather and scenery, is the obsession with sports. I just don't give a damn about them, which keeps out of an awful lot of barroom, picnic, and office conversations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 04:54 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I've lived in California. 234 El Toyonal, Orinda, California 94563.

If you are an outdoorsman or are addicted to beautiful scenery and perfect weather, you'll find those things almost completely lacking in Chicago. As a city, however, I'd say Chicago is every bit as stimulating as SF and much, much cheaper. In marketing/advertising, Chicago is also probably a better job market although Chet Everett's warning about a recent merger reflects inside knowledge that I don't have; I'm in finance.

Many of my friends here are gay and they don't all live in Boystown. There is no issue with discrimination.

My one complaint about Chicago's culture, other than the weather and scenery, is the obsession with sports. I just don't give a damn about them, which keeps out of an awful lot of barroom, picnic, and office conversations.

I could give 2 sh*ts about sports. Never was good at them, never was interested in them. I've heard that Chicago people are OBSESSED about talking about it.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:07 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I could give 2 sh*ts about sports. Never was good at them, never was interested in them. I've heard that Chicago people are OBSESSED about talking about it.

Make that SOME Chicago people.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
In my experience it's not a Chicago thing per se, but more of a Midwestern thing. I'm originally from the St. Louis area, and it wasn't much different there. It's easy to meet plenty of other people who don't care at all though, or at least are only such minimal fans that it only comes up every once in awhile.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:33 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
In my experience it's not a Chicago thing per se, but more of a Midwestern thing. I'm originally from the St. Louis area, and it wasn't much different there. It's easy to meet plenty of other people who don't care at all though, or at least are only such minimal fans that it only comes up every once in awhile.
I work with a lot of people from New York and Boston. Sports fanaticism isn't only a Midwestern thing. The South is also crazy with sports.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:40 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I work with a lot of people from New York and Boston. Sports fanaticism isn't only a Midwestern thing. The South is also crazy with sports.
Very true. Although I still haven't figured out the mystique that surrounds the Cubs, but that's probably my old city's allegiances coming through.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
I know whether local teams are contenders for championships, but otherwise don't talk about sports much, either. Most of the people I work with aren't big sports fans, either, except the Indian guys love their cricket.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:30 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Some. I like sports, but not talking about it more than for a handful of minutes in the way most people do, and I've always found bars and people to be in where they don't talk about sports. I have many many friends who give two ****s about sports too and outwardly say it. The older I have gotten, the less I care about them actually. I used to be OBSESSED with sports and watch Sportscenter 5 times a day. I have noticed that since I moved to Chicago, I find myself rarely caring about them minus my alma mater's basketball team (and even then it's not a huge deal). Maybe it's who I've surrounded myself with here versus other places I have lived. It's weird since Chicago is a sports driven town in a way, but in another way I find that I have cared less about sports since living here for sure.

In certain areas you will find a lot of sports stuff, but in other areas you won't as much. Even so, I was at a bar tonight where a football game was on, but zero people in there were even watching it or cared. It really just depends on where you are, but really I have been to plenty of bars where nobody is talking about sports.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Well if you're friends with people who like sports then you'll hear about them a lot. If you're not then you probably won't. I'll watch the Superbowl and a few Bears games with friends, some college football on Saturdays (it's an excuse to go to a bar and get drunk at 10am!!) and I watched the final of the Blackhawks, but otherwise I don't really know or have anything to do with sports other than quietly swear at the Cubs fans on the Red Line during night games when they're smashed on their with those of us trying to go home at rush hour after work. I never hear anything about sports at work, unless we're winning some championship.

Chicago has people who are obsessed with sports, and maybe more than other places, but it's definitely not a pre-requisite. I have plenty of gay friends here who have NO idea "how football works" as they say.

It's funny cause I have a lot of gay men friends and a lot of lesbian friends. The gay men have Oscar parties and that's their event of the year, and then the lesibians are gushing over the Superbowl and that's when they go all out with the parties

Old 09-10-2013, 09:10 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
For _uck's sake, just move here or don't. And stop obsessing over meaningless differences. If you can't handle any variation from your life in SF, don't leave SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago