Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:47 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread.

Just saw a ton of comparisons between Portland people, Minneapolis people, San Francisco people and Chicago people.

I grew up in Michigan, and I lived in Portland, Minneapolis, and San Francisco. There is a gradient scale where SF is on the most liberal end, Portland is quite close to it, Minneapolis a little less so.

HOWEVER, among the people that a person chooses to be with, you'll find all the same kind of people in whatever city you are in. If you are a certain way, and attract a certain kind of person, you'll be that way, and attract that kind of person in Oklahoma City just the same.

In my opinion, San Francisco to Chicago, you'll definitely find rather large communities of whatever values a person might have. It's possible that some might love the Bulls or Cubs or whatever, but I'm sure there are 'gay liberals' in SF who also like the Giants or 49ers. Cities DO have a character to them, but the people residing in them, all have their own little peculiarities and such just as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 12:07 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
For _uck's sake, just move here or don't. And stop obsessing over meaningless differences. If you can't handle any variation from your life in SF, don't leave SF.
Wow. You are a negative person .

Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Interesting thread.

Just saw a ton of comparisons between Portland people, Minneapolis people, San Francisco people and Chicago people.

I grew up in Michigan, and I lived in Portland, Minneapolis, and San Francisco. There is a gradient scale where SF is on the most liberal end, Portland is quite close to it, Minneapolis a little less so.

HOWEVER, among the people that a person chooses to be with, you'll find all the same kind of people in whatever city you are in. If you are a certain way, and attract a certain kind of person, you'll be that way, and attract that kind of person in Oklahoma City just the same.

In my opinion, San Francisco to Chicago, you'll definitely find rather large communities of whatever values a person might have. It's possible that some might love the Bulls or Cubs or whatever, but I'm sure there are 'gay liberals' in SF who also like the Giants or 49ers. Cities DO have a character to them, but the people residing in them, all have their own little peculiarities and such just as well.
Your experience in right on par with mine. I've never had a problem with being gay in Charlotte, Memphis, St. Louis or Chicago just the same. People don't really care who you love now days.

Some places are a little slower than others in when it come to marriage equality. (places with a large evangelical community tend to be further behind because of brainwashing not hate) That doesn't mean that people will "beat you up" if they find out your gay.

As a rule the city proper will be more accepting than suburban to rural areas. Even that seems to be changing now.

Choose a place that is conducive to your lifestyle and find a good neighborhood and you will do fine.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:48 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
For _uck's sake, just move here or don't. And stop obsessing over meaningless differences. If you can't handle any variation from your life in SF, don't leave SF.
?? He's only posted in here once in the past week or so and wasn't upset about any variations or anything except for stating the sports comment, which I've heard before about the Midwest. Mostly just very appreciative at all the information and advice. Seems a little harsh to snap like that.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:01 AM

197 posts, read 86,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
It seems that there are only threads for people LEAVING Chicago. I don't get why this is, but the city doesn't seem to attract people from the coasts, it only seems that people are fleeing which concerns me.

Here's the deal, I am 26 years old, have grown up the majority of my life in California, but have spent 7 years in Denmark and 2 in Rhode Island, so I know winters. I'm sick of people instantly telling me when I'm interested in Chicago that I'll "HATE THE WINTER ZOMG". It's like, people, half of the world deal with winters. Have some pride in your city and don't scare people off! It's not really a deciding factor for me.

What is a deciding factor is the quality of life, urban experience, how fun the city is, and COL.

I'm frankly tired of the Bay Area because it's gotten prohibitively expensive. I really want my own studio/apartment with my partner and I'm sick of having to have roommates and live in cramped conditions. It's also become impossible to save due to high rents. My 2 best friends have moved to Chicago from CA and love it, and I can't get over how cheap their rents are! My partner and I want to try something completely new and different, and expand our horizons a bit more. Chicago seems attractive to me because it's a major city that is traditionally urban, but doesn't have the hype/pretension as does NYC/SF/LA.

Here are my questions:
- How is city life different from SF? Is it exciting? Does it feel bustling, compact and lively the same way SF does? Does the city shut down in the winter or is it thriving?
- How gay friendly is the city overall? Will I be able to be myself freely without frequently running into douchebags and homophobes?
- How is the job market currently for someone looking into advertising/marketing?
- Do you think someone coming from CA will enjoy the lifestyle/people out there
- Does Chicago have that dynamic, worldly city feel that I crave?
- For those of you that are gay, how is the Boystown scene vs Castro/west Hollywood?

Thanks!
May I ask why you don't stay in Denmark when the country is accepting of gay people, lightly to non religious, and good well fare system?

Old 09-18-2015, 12:52 PM

25 posts, read 64,709 times
Leo Burnett ad agency is based out of Chicago - you could try to get a job there. =]

Old 09-20-2015, 07:26 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
Chicago and San Francisco are both democratic cities to the core; however, Chicago is not liberal- just Democratic. Big difference.

OP, if you were able to stomach the pathetic city/county govt. of SF, you'll probably be able to tolerate the pathetic Chicago politics as well.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:45 AM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
It's always amusing to me when people from SF/LA/Bos-Wash Corridor asks if Chicago is "accepting", "open-minded" and cosmopolitan enough. I'll say this: There most likely will be "safe spaces" at U of C, Roosevelt, DePaul, UIC and Northwestern. Bubbles included, free of charge. I'm not sure if you need to be a student to gain access so I'd call these institutions first. And maybe, one day, these "safe spaces" will be no more once society is no longer 'slower' but "up-to-date."

Last edited by TheSunshineKid; 09-21-2015 at 02:54 AM..

Old 11-21-2017, 02:11 PM

9 posts, read 10,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I've lived in California. 234 El Toyonal, Orinda, California 94563.

If you are an outdoorsman or are addicted to beautiful scenery and perfect weather, you'll find those things almost completely lacking in Chicago. As a city, however, I'd say Chicago is every bit as stimulating as SF and much, much cheaper. In marketing/advertising, Chicago is also probably a better job market although Chet Everett's warning about a recent merger reflects inside knowledge that I don't have; I'm in finance.

Many of my friends here are gay and they don't all live in Boystown. There is no issue with discrimination.

My one complaint about Chicago's culture, other than the weather and scenery, is the obsession with sports. I just don't give a damn about them, which keeps out of an awful lot of barroom, picnic, and office conversations.
I'm in the process of moving out, and Chicago would be a PERFECT choice if not nature/weather It's urban and near home.
On the other hand, SF is a great choice, but it is too expensive for a college graduate like me.
And then LA is too spread out and has a bad job market...

Old 11-21-2017, 05:46 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joga View Post
I'm in the process of moving out, and Chicago would be a PERFECT choice if not nature/weather It's urban and near home.
On the other hand, SF is a great choice, but it is too expensive for a college graduate like me.
And then LA is too spread out and has a bad job market...
With the cost savings versus LA and the Bay Area, you can afford winter vacations, good winter clothes and running that heater. There’s a Uniqlo in Chicago and I swear by their heattech clothes. It’s a goddamn modern miracle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago