Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
If anyone doesn't follow the rules of the road in the city, it's easily bikers.
I'm sorry, but this is easily the most commonly-voiced falsehood in the City of Chicago. I'd ask for proof, but I know it doesn't exist.

Go to any 4 way stop and you will find that 80%+ of cars roll through. That number would be approaching 100% if it wasn't for motorists who stop - albeit reluctantly - for pedestrians. Legally, the car has to complete to a complete stop. Never happens. And I drive - I actually have fellow drivers honking at me when I stop properly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 11:34 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Every morning I have to swerve or slow down in the car lane because some biker can't wait twelve seconds for the green light to come on.

Next time it happens, I'm not stopping and I hope you die.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people? Do you ever look up at those 3 big lights on the post that tell you whether you should GO, PREPARE TO STOP, STOP? Usually right in front of your face that tell you to how to follow the rules of traffic? Or are you just ****ing stupid?
I am saving this one as proof that drivers are often way to hostile to bikes. Carry on.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:52 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I am saving this one as proof that drivers are often way to hostile to bikes. Carry on.
I am saving this one as proof of irony.

As a biker, I have noticed that drivers for the most part do everything they can to avoid bikers, even going into the next lane over/past the medium.
I also see this as a driver, saying to myself "wow they're giving the biker more space than needed, you can fit another car in the space they're giving as they pass"

And going back to the irony, clearly you did not understand, that the spoof in my post was in response to the real hostility in the OP's post.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Let's face it, in this city, bicyclists who break the rules of the road FAR outnumber pedestrians who jaywalk. Easily 10 to 1.
LOL. Most epic fail posting in the thread. Easily.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:51 PM

Considering there's no study or stats on either side, you're both just talking fluff

Old 09-18-2013, 12:56 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times
Quote:

As a biker, I have noticed that drivers for the most part do everything they can to avoid bikers, even going into the next lane over/past the medium.
I also see this as a driver, saying to myself "wow they're giving the biker more space than needed, you can fit another car in the space they're giving as they pass"

And going back to the irony, clearly you did not understand, that the spoof in my post was in response to the real hostility in the OP's post.
You duped a few posters with that one. Guess they glossed over the OP.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:12 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:

Yeah, I read the OP. Seems my own post sailed over your head. (they all can't be winners, oh well)

Old 09-18-2013, 01:26 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,281 times
I don't live in Chicago, but everywhere I've lived and biked the issue I have is people who walk/jog in bike lanes. What is up w/ that? I thought that was what a sidewalk was for??? Let's face it, if you bike, you KNOW everyone is out to kill you, either out of pure spite or total lack of awareness. I just bike as if everyone is out to run me down (because they usually are) and make no assumptions about what drivers or pedestrians are about to do. I also bike, horrors!, on the sidewalks every chance I get. I go slow, I go carefully, and if I see a walker I get off till they are past. You would have to be a suicidal maniac to mix it up on the streets willingly w/ 80 year old drivers on meds, teenagers texting and talking on their phones, angry rednecks in pickup trucks, etc.

Last edited by smarino; 09-18-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Considering there's no study or stats on either side, you're both just talking fluff
There are actually loads of studies and stats that have been done (and publicized) by the Active Transportation Alliance and CDOT.

These guys are excellent as far as data crunching, and are as pro-pedestrian as they are pro-bike:

Streetsblog Chicago

Anecdotally, I've got 30+ years of being a pedestrian and cyclist, 25 of being a driver, all in Chicago.

I won't bother arguing that motorists are on a per capita basis worse than cyclists, for that I would have no proof.

But it's kind of a "the sun rises in the east" no-brainer that cars vastly outnumber bikes in terms of raw numbers on the street. So in terms of throwing goofball comments like "bike riders break the law 10x more than cars, people, whatever," that's just stupid in several levels.

btw, in terms of who is more grossly violating the law, considering that motorists in IL are required to give cyclists 3 feet of passing space, I can tell you that just this week I watched that law violated by hundreds of cars which passed me during my commutes.

How to enforce 3-foot passing law to protect bicyclists » Biking Bis

Old 09-18-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
There are actually loads of studies and stats that have been done (and publicized) by the Active Transportation Alliance and CDOT.

These guys are excellent as far as data crunching, and are as pro-pedestrian as they are pro-bike:

Streetsblog Chicago

Anecdotally, I've got 30+ years of being a pedestrian and cyclist, 25 of being a driver, all in Chicago.

I won't bother arguing that motorists are on a per capita basis worse than cyclists, for that I would have no proof.

But it's kind of a "the sun rises in the east" no-brainer that cars vastly outnumber bikes in terms of raw numbers on the street. So in terms of throwing goofball comments like "bike riders break the law 10x more than cars, people, whatever," that's just stupid in several levels.

btw, in terms of who is more grossly violating the law, considering that motorists in IL are required to give cyclists 3 feet of passing space, I can tell you that just this week I watched that law violated by hundreds of cars which passed me during my commutes.

How to enforce 3-foot passing law to protect bicyclists » Biking Bis
Nice links, no stats though. Just one with a pic of a driver holding a measuring stick while he's driving.

Links on stats on % of bikes that break traffic laws vs. % of cars that break traffic laws? And pedestrians too?

All I see in this thread is finger pointing and political-like B.S. I don't care about either side, nor do I care for whiny b-tching, nor do I care for politics. It's just dumb that you all will argue to no end with anecdotal evidence, and argumentative jibber jabber. Of which I admit, I've now become a part of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago