Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:19 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
This is an interesting exercise. But given the time frame we're talking about here, my gut tells me it's entirely possible that UIC didn't want to be in West Garfield Park, because of fears of continued white flight. Sure, it would have been grand for the west side if it had worked, but had the area continued to experience white flight (the pattern of which was very clear by 1961), the new UIC would have been completely surrounded by 'hood. Not sure those in charge at UIC would have wanted to take that kind of chance.
I think it's because those running the city at that time didn't consider Italians and Greeks to be much more desirable than blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 03:46 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Clearly no sense of history...

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I think it's because those running the city at that time didn't consider Italians and Greeks to be much more desirable than blacks.
Hmm, I don't seem to recall any militant groups pumping fists and shouting "Olive Power"...

The riots of the 60s were African Americans against everybody that wasn't. Any sentiments from previous generations of immigrants from Western Europe against those from Southern Europe / Mediterranean were not part of master plan. Did da Mare have any fondness for gyros or pizza? Probably not, but neither did the folks from Bridgeport have illusions that a diet of cabbage and boiled spuds was some magical formula for poltical success -- power based the supported Poles, Italians, Germans, Swedes, Greeks, Chinese and yes even African Americans were long part of the various deal making factions in the City Council. The decisions about UIC were driven by concerns of safety and the immeadiate source of those concerns was south / west of the Loop.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Hmm, I don't seem to recall any militant groups pumping fists and shouting "Olive Power"...

The riots of the 60s were African Americans against everybody that wasn't. Any sentiments from previous generations of immigrants from Western Europe against those from Southern Europe / Mediterranean were not part of master plan. Did da Mare have any fondness for gyros or pizza? Probably not, but neither did the folks from Bridgeport have illusions that a diet of cabbage and boiled spuds was some magical formula for poltical success -- power based the supported Poles, Italians, Germans, Swedes, Greeks, Chinese and yes even African Americans were long part of the various deal making factions in the City Council. The decisions about UIC were driven by concerns of safety and the immeadiate source of those concerns was south / west of the Loop.
You didn't really refute what I said. Note that the black riots came well after the UIC decision. And yes, their decision was based on perceived blight and danger in the Delta neighborhood that they destroyed, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the people there were Greek and Italian or that they did the same thing to the Italian neighborhood at Grand and Ogden with the Kennedy contruction. I think it's racist, do you think there's any chance in hell Daley would have OKed tearing down Bridgeport for UIC?

Old 09-26-2013, 02:35 AM

158 posts, read 302,337 times
Quote:

Exactly White Ethnics fled from the West Side because they feared for their physical safety especially after the riots in 1968. It was a block to block thing they stayed until the African Americans moved onto to their blocks and then they went really fast. During the riots on Madison in 1968 African Americans pulled Whites out of their cars and attacked them. They also targeted White owned businesses while leaving Black owned ones alone. Daley saw the Halsted & Harrison site as a way to buffer downtown. He also had a vision of rebuilding the city from the center out and I would argue that has largely been a success. Sadly it came at the expense of many middle class neighborhoods.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:53 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
I've been following this topic and this came to mind. One reason why the location of Circle
campus could have been that it was right by the blue line that went from Jefferson Park
to Oak Park. Another - it was near the Eisenhower, Dan Ryan and Kennedy Expressways.
During the 70's it was mostly a commuter college. I will say the University has greatly
improved. During the time I attended, the place was deserted after 2:00. Once, I had
to stay until 3:00 pm and I was the only person around. I had a guy chasing me but
luckily I knew a building that was a maze where I could hide.
BTW, there were Italians who hung in there as long as they could. Some great little
southern Italian restaurants are gone, Pappa Charlie's and seeing Mario grind fruits
for his Italian Ice.
If the campus did locate to Garfield Park, I wonder if they would have kept the
Conservatory?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,102 times
Quote:

If Daley hated Italians, most of them didn't know it. The Italian wards and precincts were some of his strongest and most loyal machine components. I was seventeen before I ever met a Democratic precinct captain who wasn't Italian. Almost every Italian family in my west Logan Square neighborhood that I knew of, had some connection to the city employment structure.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:27 AM

158 posts, read 302,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
If Daley hated Italians, most of them didn't know it. The Italian wards and precincts were some of his strongest and most loyal machine components. I was seventeen before I ever met a Democratic precinct captain who wasn't Italian. Almost every Italian family in my west Logan Square neighborhood that I knew of, had some connection to the city employment structure.
Where did you growup in West Logan Square? My Grandparents for over 40 years lived right by the old Mozart Schoolyard. The 8 oldest graduated from OLG and the last 4 from Mozart. This is on my Father's side of the family.

Last edited by North Side Brandon; 09-27-2013 at 07:59 AM..

Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 AM

147 posts, read 164,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I've been following this topic and this came to mind. One reason why the location of Circle
campus could have been that it was right by the blue line that went from Jefferson Park
to Oak Park. Another - it was near the Eisenhower, Dan Ryan and Kennedy Expressways.
During the 70's it was mostly a commuter college. I will say the University has greatly
improved. During the time I attended, the place was deserted after 2:00. Once, I had
to stay until 3:00 pm and I was the only person around. I had a guy chasing me but
luckily I knew a building that was a maze where I could hide.
BTW, there were Italians who hung in there as long as they could. Some great little
southern Italian restaurants are gone, Pappa Charlie's and seeing Mario grind fruits
for his Italian Ice.
If the campus did locate to Garfield Park, I wonder if they would have kept the
Conservatory?
I was thinking that the location of UIC makes a lot of sense because it's accessible by both car and CTA. I don't think Garfield Park would have been anywhere near as convenient.

It was still mostly a commuter school when I went there in the early '90s. I ended up transferring because I wanted more of the full college experience. The campus certainly is much improved since then, especially with the removal of that awful upper deck walkway thing. I popped over there to grab some lunch one day last fall- unfortunately, they'd redone the Inner Circle, where I used to hand out between classes, so it didn't really satisfy my nostalgia.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:23 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
^^^I haven't been there for about 10 years but I know what you mean. I know that the University doesn't like the
that term "Circle" but we still use it. Surprised it was a commuter school in even during the 90's. My uncle said
that during the 60's the art department (UIC) was at Navy Pier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago