Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 07:11 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
THAT would be an example of begging the question. I think.
Yeah, I capitalized too many words in that post. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 08:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Has this thread derailed?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
2nd generation. My grandparents were Polish immigrants. I wonder why we assimilated so much quicker than Mexicans.
Do you really wonder why White people face significantly fewer obstacles to assimilation in the U.S., or was that a rhetorical question?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:49 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Do you really wonder why White people face significantly fewer obstacles to assimilation in the U.S., or was that a rhetorical question?

I know, right?!

Old 10-07-2013, 12:20 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
It's certainly accurate from a national viewpoint. Poles might be a poor example specific to Chicago, though.

There are plenty of Polish immigrants in Avondale who can't speak much English, as they don't need to. In many cases they aren't here to stay and will head back home after a few years.

In general assimilation happens faster when it's forced & is a fact of life. If you don't need to learn English as you aren't immersed in an English-only atmosphere, you may not bother to.

The general rule of thumb is assimilation from a language standpoint is complete by the 2nd generation. Kids growing up in America may still speak the mother tongue, but they will learn English, almost without fail.

A linguistic framework capable of simply swallowing other culture's vocabularies is the most lasting facet of Anglo-Saxon culture here in America. It's not like they invented democracy.

A question more pertinent to this topic regarding assimilation is how the hell does anyone grow up in Chicago, even in the worst Chicago Public School environment, and reach high school age still unable to read.

Most kids I know can read at least in a limited sense before they ever step foot in school. How do you get to the age of 12, 14 or 17 still unable to read? I really don't get that.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:22 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
It is for people like you that life invented the phrase "someone call the Waaaahhhhmbulance."

Avondale isn't some fancy neighborhood, but that's an idiot's argument anyway.

You keep on thinking it's someone else's job to bring you a job, and the rest of us will keep getting up in time to make whatever commute is necessary at the moment. Then you keep looking for something better instead of expecting someone else to gift wrap and deliver it.

Are you under the delusion that doing your homework and continuing your education and skillset throughtout your life is a luxury? This would explain a lot.
Who said anything about anyone "bringing" someone a job? You are aware that there are tons of non-poor people out-of-work, right? Fully competent people that got laid off and are struggling to find work, right? Are they sitting around waiting for someone to bring them a job too? Please explain how one is able to will a job into his or her area. I'll wait.

"Delusion that doing your homework and continuing your education and skillsset...is a luxury?" Is that a serious question??? LOL, are you aware that post-secondary education IS a luxury, and secondary is a luxury if you happen to live in an area where there are resources? You are aware that public education is funded through property tax, correct? Or do you assume that kids at Orr High School are receiving the same education as kids attending Oak Park River Forest? Or that kids at Orr are receiving the same education as kids at Whitney Young (whose parents subsidize their education through extra fees)?

You are white and privileged and you'd likely kill yourself if you had to live like some of the people you criticize. This is my last post to you on this subject because you don't get it and aren't trying to.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post

A question more pertinent to this topic regarding assimilation is how the hell does anyone grow up in Chicago, even in the worst Chicago Public School environment, and reach high school age still unable to read.

Most kids I know can read at least in a limited sense before they ever step foot in school. How do you get to the age of 12, 14 or 17 still unable to read? I really don't get that.
How is a question about reading comprehension "more pertinent" to a topic about Back of the Yards being a war zone??? Nice attempt to turn the topic to something you're more comfortable with--race bashing.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:33 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
are you aware that post-secondary education IS a luxury
Not really. You just sign up for loans that you can never pay back, like everyone else these days.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Not really. You just sign up for loans that you can never pay back, like everyone else these days.
These days that's a horrible gamble. Also, you do have to apply and get in. An 'A' student at Orr High School (because they do have them) is verrrry different than an 'A' student at Oak Park River Forest. Education is one of the Civil Rights issues of today. If you high school didn't prepare you for college, or a good college, you're starting behind the curve. That's the bottom line.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:50 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
These days that's a horrible gamble. Also, you do have to apply and get in. An 'A' student at Orr High School (because they do have them) is verrrry different than an 'A' student at Oak Park River Forest. Education is one of the Civil Rights issues of today. If you high school didn't prepare you for college, or a good college, you're starting behind the curve. That's the bottom line.
Well, everyone is in the same boat, pretty much. I went to school with a ton of white people and I can guarantee you that only a handful had mommy and daddy cutting the check for them; virtually everyone had to take out massive loans and received financial aid.

Honestly if you are a non-Asian minority with decent grades you are probably positioned better these days than just about anyone to receive aid, scholarship, easier admittance etc.

Asians and whites with decent grades but not super geniuses from middle class families can count on the least help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago