Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:04 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Condoms put the control in the man's hands (so to speak). I'd rather see women look out for themselves. I don't trust men to do it. (Also, teen pregnancy peaked in 1991. It has declined since.)

And I'm not talking about fourth grade. Maybe have sex-ed "fairs" in the inner city. Here are your options, over there is a doctor to speak with, make an appointment, we'll follow up with you, get your IUD. Educate the people most likely to have unwanted pregnancies. Stop the cycle of poverty and violence. It would take leadership.
A lot of things peaked in the early 90s and has been on the decline since, including crime.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2012

Someone is doing something right, somewhere....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 05:41 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
There are some dumb people in the world but the vast majority aren't that dumb. I doubt a single girl in the country over the age of 15 having sex is not unaware that it could potentially result in pregnancy.

The problem is their lives are so chaotic and their environment so degraded and they have so little parental help that they are making awful choices... the kind of choices kids with no parental guidance make.
The fact that they do know of the risk of pregnancy and recklessly have unprotected sex anyway also exposing themselves to STDs makes them exponentially more dumb than had they truly been unapprised of the consequences. This is one area where I have no sympathy. Same thing with drugs.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:54 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
"Poverty" and..."nothing to get up for in the morning"...or " nowhere to be the next day".....
How do you know this? Did you interview witnesses?

Old 09-21-2013, 10:57 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
How do you know this? Did you interview witnesses?
I mean, I think it's frivolous to assume stuff like that. There are plenty of "young professionals" in areas who stay out late too and at least in my opinion, 10:30pm is hardly late. I have a decently high paying job I'll admit, but I still stay up until 1am or 2am on days where I have to wake up at 7am for work. Using that same logic, would someone conclude that I'm up late because I have nothing to wake up for? Complete BS if you ask me.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Society evolves. You either evolve with it, or eventually go extinct.
This is the only part of your close-minded, ignorant post that I agree with. There is one particular group the world over that is in danger of becoming extinct more than any other group, and they know it. They also happen to be the most violent group around, yet nobody ever pulls their collar. I'll give you one guess as to what group I'm talking about. Think hard. Think very, very, critically hard.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
One thing I find interesting: I imagined his entire bid to be mayor was really a stepping stone to a presidential run at some point. (Obviously I could be wrong, but that was my thought.)
Are you kidding? He'll never be president. Not of the United States. Besides, he has more power as a Chicago mayor. US citizens are not the only people US presidents have to answer to. Rahm Emanuel stole the city election. He's not fit to be a leader in any capacity.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I witnessed a gang incident once, the police barely batted an eye. I asked one of the officers, "Should I stick around? I saw it," and he just laughed and waved me away: i.e., business as usual, happens all the time, don't get involved.
...and this is exactly why Chicago's murder rate is where it is (and it's still not as bad as the media would have you believe). There is no gang problem. There is a police problem. In this country, certain people's lives are more valuable than others. That's the bottom line.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
...and this is exactly why Chicago's murder rate is where it is (and it's still not as bad as the media would have you believe). There is no gang problem. There is a police problem. In this country, certain people's lives are more valuable than others. That's the bottom line.
Right. Because there is no difference between bored morons intent on destroying each other and totally innocent victims walking home from the bar etc.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:15 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but it's a two way street. There's no natural law saying that anybody has to commit certain acts against each other. So while the police may look the other direction sometimes, that doesn't give anybody the excuse that doing violent acts against one another is necessarily correct just because there's nobody there to 100% enforce it. I think your reason is a cop out reason (no pun intended). Like communication, it's a two way street.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:06 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? He'll never be president. Not of the United States. Besides, he has more power as a Chicago mayor. US citizens are not the only people US presidents have to answer to. Rahm Emanuel stole the city election. He's not fit to be a leader in any capacity.
He didn't steal the election, more people voted for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago