Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,333 times

Advertisements

I'll be attending school at Depaul, in the loop campus located on Jackson and State. My girlfriend is already attending Depaul but most of her classes are located in the Lincoln park campus, which is located along fullerton and sheffield.

We both drive and parking wouldn't be a problem.

$2,000 a month would be the max for a 1 bedroom and $2,500 for a 2 bedroom.

I want to get some perspective outlooks from Chicago residents on the best location for my scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 12:16 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
This is (potentially) extremely easy....

You could afford any neighborhood in town on your budget if you really wanted to. The Loop campus and Lincoln Park campus are only 4 miles apart, and the train ride between them is maybe 15-20 minutes. You could easily pick somewhere around half way between them which would be Gold Coast kind of area.

I live near the Chicago Red Line stop, which is technically considered the Gold Coast, which is near a campus for Loyola University and also not too far from Northwestern University Medical Center/College of Medicine. There are a number of young/young-ish people in this general area as there's a number of law/business/medical students for these places as well as "young professionals." There are older people as well of course, but there are a number of mid 20s to mid 30s aged people in the area. I have seen the area attract a lot of younger people even in the last few years. The ride to the Loop campus from there is maybe 6-8 minutes most days on the train and up to the Lincoln Park campus is maybe 7-10 minutes from there. The area is mainly high rises. You could also live in the neighborhood south of there which is River North which is also mainly high rises (but also some lofts).

About the car thing - parking in most high rises is going to cost you at least $175-$200 per month. Chicago is a very walkable city in numerous areas with great public transit (I assume you're from Barcelona) and a car is not necessarily needed to do daily things unless you plan on going to a far reaching type of area or taking a road trip (which you could just rent a car anyway). So if you now realize that paying a lot for parking isn't something you want to do because having a car isn't necessarily needed for daily life in these areas, you could always live in Lincoln Park around where your girlfriend goes to school. The area is more low-rise architecture, but you may be able to park on the street for a total of $25/year, which is a great cost if you plan on having a car but not using it much. Also, taking public transit in Chicago is not looked down upon. Tons of people do it - I even have friends who are millionaires who take the train to work because they only live a mile or so away from their office.

There's other areas too but I think your "problem" is quite simple. These two campuses are connected on a 24 hour train line and not far from each other and the half way points provides some good/decent neighborhoods which you could afford.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:41 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelonamessi View Post
I'll be attending school at Depaul, in the loop campus located on Jackson and State. My girlfriend is already attending Depaul but most of her classes are located in the Lincoln park campus, which is located along fullerton and sheffield.

I want to get some perspective outlooks from Chicago residents on the best location for my scenario.
Since you are both in college, I recommend cutting your rental budget in half and living near the red or brown line.

No need for a $2000 monthly housing cost in Chicago at this point in life.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelonamessi View Post

You don't need to spend that much, if you don't need a luxury apartment.

You also don't need a car, you certainly don't need two cars unless you have a job or something that absolutely requires one. Parking will almost certainly be either hard or expensive at either location - I don't believe Depaul offers students free parking.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:52 AM

147 posts, read 164,683 times
I recommend Lincoln Park. You shouldn't have any trouble finding something nice in your price range close to the El and within walking distance of the DePaul campus. I lived close to the campus for about eight years. The train commute downtown is a breeze- often faster than driving, depending on the time of day.

I also second Marothisu's comments. I grew up in that neck of the woods, and get back there pretty often. It's one of the more expensive areas, but probably affordable on your budget. It's not a place I like to drive, but you really can live without a car if you want. Almost anywhere you'd want to go is either within walking distance or a short hop on public transportation.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:29 PM

498 posts, read 724,226 times
Regardless of cost, it would seem that having a car would be more of a headache than anything living anywhere in between Lincoln Park and the loop

Old 09-28-2013, 10:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
I went to grad school literally across the street from DePaul's Loop campus.

Don't plan on driving down there unless you want to pay a minimum of $20 a day for parking. The Red Line train will drop you off literally right at the front door to the campus. The Blue, Orange, Green, Brown, and Purple lines will drop you off within half a block. Not only is driving not necessary, it's actually the less convenient transportation option. You'll have to walk further than you would from the train; and unless you're taking night classes, it probably won't take you any less time to get there by the time you fight traffic.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:26 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
€2000 in Chicago is stupid. You can find a place for less easily.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:12 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,083 times
How does two college students afford a $2,000 a month apartment?

How will you be paying for it? Student loans?

Old 09-29-2013, 03:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Well-heeled parents I suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago