Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,579,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Yes, that comes with living in a city. I know that.
But it comes more in some neighborhoods than others, and some of us prefer the neighborhoods with more of it. That's all I'm saying. (Yes, I know this is somewhat ironic given my screen name. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so addicted to walking to work.)

Irishtom also raises a good point, though, about many people seeking out surface-level "diversity" more than actual meaningful cultural difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Some neighborhoods like Lakeview, while 80% white, yes racially not very diverse (though that still equates to almost 20,000 non-white), still has a number of different types of people living in it and I wouldn't say it's completely non-diverse just because of this.
True. Some people there are from Wisconsin, others are from Iowa, and still others are from the Chicago suburbs.

I'm not sure any place could be called "completely non-diverse," but Lakeview is one of the least-diverse neighborhoods in the city from my perspective.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:54 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
True. Some people there are from Wisconsin, others are from Iowa, and still others are from the Chicago suburbs.

I'm not sure any place could be called "completely non-diverse," but Lakeview is one of the least-diverse neighborhoods in the city from my perspective.
I have spent a lot of time there, and IMO there are pretty specific areas that are pretty different. Lakeview East is pretty different from Wrigleyville which is different from Boystown, for example. My foreign ex girlfriend lived in Lakeview East with two foreign roommates, and 75% of her friends (foreign) actually lived in Lakeview believe it or not. If you go to Lakeview East, there is also a pretty fair diversity among the types of establishments there too.

Anyway, I think irishtom brings up a good point. I think we assume that we see someone who looks different and just assume that their culture personality wise is completely different than some others, but this is not a given. They might be and might not. Chances are that if they grew up in America and not in one of a few large cities, that they're at least a good amount white washed (probably not fully, but a hell of a lot more than people think).

Old 10-01-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Lakeview East
Yes, we know all about Lakeview East, your personal Mecca, from the other 13,000 threads in which you've talked about it. I view it differently than you do, and even if I didn't it wouldn't alter what I said about Lakeview as a whole.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Yes, we know all about Lakeview East, your personal Mecca, from the other 13,000 threads in which you've talked about it. I view it differently than you do, and even if I didn't it wouldn't alter what I said about Lakeview as a whole.
It's not my personal mecca, but it's a good part of town and it's obvious that a lot of people on here have not spent much time there since they think it's full of frat douchebags and bars since it's close to Wrigleyville. The only part of that which is very true is that it's close to Wrigleyville. That's all. It's one of my favorite parts of town, but it's not my favorite.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,184,934 times
Quote:
Quote:
Anyway, I think irishtom brings up a good point. I think we assume that we see someone who looks different and just assume that their culture personality wise is completely different than some others, but this is not a given. They might be and might not. Chances are that if they grew up in America and not in one of a few large cities, that they're at least a good amount white washed (probably not fully, but a hell of a lot more than people think).
Since I'm over fifty, does that make me diverse or just an old fart? Sure seems that way when I go
to certain areas and the looks I get.
Miss the European neighborhoods i.e., German, Polish, Ukrainian, Italian (what remnants are left) so
Albany Park and Devon Ave. fill the void.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:22 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,556,586 times
East Garfield Park

Old 10-01-2013, 05:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,373,342 times
What is the least diverse area of Chicago?

Old 10-01-2013, 05:39 PM

498 posts, read 718,797 times
Quote:
The south side ghettos

Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Pretty much a bunch of places on the south side and some on the west side. Technically speaking, all of the following have over 90% of just one race:

Auburn Gresham, Burnside, Roseland, Washington Heights, Chatham, Washington Park, Greater Grand Crossing, Riverdale, West Englewood, West Garfield Park, Avalon Park, South Shore, Grand Boulevard, Oakland, Calumet Heights, West Pullman, Fuller Park, North Lawndale, and East Garfield Park.

Then after that, there's another 13 between 80-89.99% of one race..all together that's 33 of 77 (43%) of the community areas in Chicago that have at least 80% of people in them that belong to only one race.

So to put things into perspective and how some north/northwest side areas rank...if we rank community areas by their largest ethnic population % from most to least (i.e. #1 means the most, and #77 means the least), this is how the north and and some northwest side communities rank in the overall scheme of things.

22. Edison Park
29. Lincoln Park
33. Lake View
38. North Center
42. Forest Glen
45. Near North Side
48. Jefferson Park
51. Avondale
52. Lincoln Square
53. Loop
58. Edgewater
63. Uptown
65. Logan Square
67. Albany Park
73. Irving Park
74. West Ridge
76. Rogers Park

Last edited by marothisu; 10-01-2013 at 06:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago