Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 02:59 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,290 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I searched the forum for information about the cost of living in Chicago, but only found outdated threads from 2007-2008.

How much should a 26 year old male that grosses $50,000 a year and nets $36,000 a year spend on rent?

Here are the facts:

- Nets $36,000/year.
- Works in The Loop.
- On pace to be debt free over the next 6-12 months.
- Frugal and value-driven when it comes to money.
- Wants to live in a 1 bedroom or studio apartment in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, or Old Town. Will consider Wicker Park, Bucktown, or The Loop, but prefers to live near other young urban professionals.
- Wants to spend $1,000 or less per month on rent.
- Currently goes out for lunch 5 days a week spending $6 - $10 per day. Thinks it is worth it because he strongly prefers freshly cooked food.
- Likes to have a social life and go out on the weekends.
- Like to go on vacation and travel on a budget.
- Wants to save at least a few hundred dollars a month.

Is my goal of finding a apartment in the places stated above for $1,000 or less feasible? What is the best method for me to find such a place? Additionally, are women 21 to 25 interested in dating a frugal man or are they only interested in dating men that will spend money on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 04:36 PM

92 posts, read 160,790 times
You can live pretty comfortable on 50K/year if you don't have a lot of debt payments each month and if you don't have a car. Wicker Park one bedroom apartments tend to be old and small.

I have a nice 1 bedroom for $1,025 and am a mile north of Wrigley field. You should be able to find a studio for $1,000/mo or less. I can't speak for the issue of women dating frugal men.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:31 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
When you say debt free in 6-12 months, what does that mean - how much are you paying per month to pay down your debt?

Anyway, unless the above is a lot per month, you should be able to life pretty comfortably on it. First of all, you don't want to live in the Loop. Not only is it too expensive, but it's a boring place. $1000/month is doable here, but probably not in an area like Lincoln Park or even Wicker Park. Lakeview you may be able to find it. If you don't want to look there then you could always consider an area like North Center or Lincoln Square/Ravenswood which are on the Brown Line. They are a little cheaper (especially Ravenswood area). A problem with it though is that the Brown Line on weekends ends service going north from the areas south of it at 2:25am. So if you want to be out until 4-6am or something, you'd probably have to find a cab (which is not hard, just costs more money).

I think you could find something in Lakeview, though if you raised it to $1100 or $1200/month, I bet you could find even more. I'd look on sites like Domu Chicago | Chicagoland Apartments, Apartments for Rent & Homes for Rent - Rent.com® Apartment Finder, http://www.padmapper.com, etc

As far as women go, it depends. Sure you could find that, but be careful with whom you go after because there will be plenty of women who won't 100% like it, at least at first in the relationship.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:55 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Additionally, are women 21 to 25 interested in dating a frugal man or are they only interested in dating men that will spend money on them?
Not very long ago I made less money than you and paid less in rent than you while being older than you, and I had no problem dating quality women in the 25-35 age range in Chicago. If anything I think women in the 21-25 range are probably even less concerned about money/spending. Many of them are in college or grad/prof school anyway, or in their first post-college job, and are used to being on a tight budget.

There will always be golddiggers, of course, but they're not a very significant portion of the young professional female population in Chicago, and they won't be hanging out at the same places as you or looking for guys like you, anyway (they'll be looking for older and/or free-spending guys), so they'll self-select away from you and the ones left behind will be more self-sufficient. That's my experience, anyway.

As long as you don't mind taking them out now and then (which doesn't have to be to expensive places) so that your dates don't consist of watching TV, you'll be fine.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
$1000/month is doable here, but probably not in an area like Lincoln Park or even Wicker Park. Lakeview you may be able to find it. If you don't want to look there then you could always consider an area like North Center or Lincoln Square/Ravenswood which are on the Brown Line. They are a little cheaper (especially Ravenswood area). A problem with it though is that the Brown Line on weekends ends service going north from the areas south of it at 2:25am. So if you want to be out until 4-6am or something, you'd probably have to find a cab (which is not hard, just costs more money).

I think you could find something in Lakeview, though if you raised it to $1100 or $1200/month, I bet you could find even more. I'd look on sites like Domu Chicago | Chicagoland Apartments, Apartments for Rent & Homes for Rent - Rent.com® Apartment Finder, http://www.padmapper.com, etc
Lakeview might work on a slightly higher budget, like you said, but if he wants to stick to $1,000 or less I would recommend places like Logan Square or Pilsen, which are going to have more women in the age range he wants to date than North Center, Lincoln Square, or Ravenswood, which seem to skew a bit older than that. I would also consider Uptown.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:36 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,290 times
Hmm, I pretty much want to stick to the area between Grand and Diversey along the red line, preferably east of the red line. Any recommendations?

Old 09-30-2013, 05:26 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Hmm, I pretty much want to stick to the area between Grand and Diversey along the red line, preferably east of the red line. Any recommendations?
It sounds like a studio in Lincoln Park is in your future then.

I would recommend, however, using Addison or Irving Park as your northern boundary instead of Diversey though. You'd have a better shot at getting a one bedroom, or at least a bigger studio, if you don't toss out Lakeview. You'd also only be adding like 5-8 minutes to your commute if you got on at the Addison or Sheridan redline stops, respectively, rather than Fullerton in Lincoln Park.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:59 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post

I would recommend, however, using Addison or Irving Park as your northern boundary instead of Diversey though. You'd have a better shot at getting a one bedroom, or at least a bigger studio, if you don't toss out Lakeview. You'd also only be adding like 5-8 minutes to your commute if you got on at the Addison or Sheridan redline stops, respectively, rather than Fullerton in Lincoln Park.
Agreed, and really it'll be a little hard to get a 1 bedroom between Diversey and Grand and East of the Red Line. Also, in my opinion, the area north of Diversey along Broadway/Clark is actually better/a little cooler than the area South. That's me though, but I know there's a number of people who would agree with me.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah. Get a roommate or spend more money.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
For $1,000/mo? Maybe if it's one of those 200 s.f. dorm room-sized ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago