Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:59 AM

4 posts, read 15,539 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

moving to chicago in the near future - just wondering, is there 'areas' or suburbs wheres specific ehtnic backgrounds are a majority...

looking to move into a more turkish suburb....

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Merhaba, nasilsiniz?

There aren't really any areas per se where Turkish people are the majority that I know of. They are pretty well integrated into the city even though the population is not that huge (maybe 10,000?). There are a handful of Turkish and Turkic eateries/restaurants in the areas of North Center and Lincoln Square of Chicago for the record and some others in some of the surrounding neighborhoods (like Lakeview). I wouldn't be surprised if there were Turks living in neighborhoods like West Ridge, North Park, Albany Park (more arabic than Turkish), etc too. The Turkish American Cultural Alliance's offices are in the Dunning neighborhood though I'd be reluctant to say there's a big population there or anything.

As far as suburbs go, I believe that Highland Park, Naperville, and Mount Prospect may have communities in them. I know that the Mount Prospect suburb has TASC, which is a Turkish cultural center opened up earlier this year and it's apparently the largest in the US. I have also been to a Turkish market to get my kirmizi biber in the same suburb before, though there are some markets in the city (i.e. in Albany Park and Andersonville neighborhoods) where you can get that stuff and I know of a bakery which makes simit (though I know they are actually Palestinian and not Turkish).

Hope some of this helps..

Old 10-04-2013, 06:58 AM

4 posts, read 15,539 times
Merhaba!

Sounds awesome thanks a LOT. Im from Melbourne (around 80k turks here!) so dont want to miss out on soo much of what i am used to....

Though you say that our local Vietnamese bakery also sells simit! and its as almost as good as the simit in istanbul...

Also will be there for a week in the coming month to look for a place to live...started trawling Trulia so see how i go

Old 10-04-2013, 07:27 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Konak in Andersonville is owned by Turks. Hit them up when you are here. I'm sure they can point you to where most Turks congregate.

Chicago Bar | Chicago Bar and Grill | Chicago Bar & Grill | Chicago Restaurants

Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
I've been to many Turkish restaurant around the north side, but as far as I know there is no hard core Turkish neighborhood. I'm sure there's a community though, it just maybe not be centered around one specific area.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,417 times
Turks seem to be very well educated as a group, and so I'm guessing they pretty mobile and not confined/limited when they come to Chicago.

There are two who train at my dojo, one lives in Roscoe Village, the other in Irving Park (neither neighborhood is considered particularly ethnic in any specific sense).

Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,550 times
There is a Turkish festival every year too. It was supposed to take place right at McClurg Court this year. Well, it did take place, unfortunately it was raining.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausguy1234 View Post
Merhaba!

Sounds awesome thanks a LOT. Im from Melbourne (around 80k turks here!) so dont want to miss out on soo much of what i am used to....

Though you say that our local Vietnamese bakery also sells simit! and its as almost as good as the simit in istanbul...

Also will be there for a week in the coming month to look for a place to live...started trawling Trulia so see how i go

Very cool. Yeah there's a lot of Turks there! I am a little Turkish as well and you'd be surprised that there may be more people with a litttttle bit of it than you'd think. Are you looking to buy or rent? Since you may not have been here, I recommend to rent for a year and there's many sites you can look on to find that.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Konak in Andersonville is owned by Turks. Hit them up when you are here. I'm sure they can point you to where most Turks congregate.

Chicago Bar | Chicago Bar and Grill | Chicago Bar & Grill | Chicago Restaurants

Konak is cool and that is a Turkish word of course. Some of the bartenders are Turkish and you can get Efes and some raki there too. None of their food is Turkish, though they have an awesome eggplant & jalapeno pizza.

There's also a new-ish Pide and Lahmacun place off the Irving Park Brown Line stop called......Pide ve Lahmacun (haha, figures) which is good. It's owned by the people next door at I-Cafe which is another Turkish/Central Asian place and a big cabbie hangout (open til 5am). Most of the Turkish/Turkic based restaurants in town though are in North Center, Lakeview, Roscoe Village, and Andersonville.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:57 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Konak is cool and that is a Turkish word of course. Some of the bartenders are Turkish and you can get Efes and some raki there too. None of their food is Turkish, though they have an awesome eggplant & jalapeno pizza.

There's also a new-ish Pide and Lahmacun place off the Irving Park Brown Line stop called......Pide ve Lahmacun (haha, figures) which is good. It's owned by the people next door at I-Cafe which is another Turkish/Central Asian place and a big cabbie hangout (open til 5am). Most of the Turkish/Turkic based restaurants in town though are in North Center, Lakeview, Roscoe Village, and Andersonville.
I had some good nights at Konak talking to the Turkish owner and bartender drinking Efes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago