Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:57 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times

Advertisements

I was curious about rents where I live - Wicker Park, and they are so expensive! I'm just too lucky to live here in a 3 story house with a garage loaded with my stuff, like $39,800 worth of bikes and $40,000 of women's clothes. Even rent in Logan Square is costly. So rent is expensive in Chicago, and companies are cheap with pay... I don't get calls for an interview when I ask for more than $54,000 a year, so it really sucks living here. Electricity is cheap, gas ok, water is cheap for me because we get Sr citizen discount. But too bad I can't get RCN for internet and cable in Wicker Park.

Groceries are now cheap and comparable to Houston with the SuperWalmart, Mariano's, and Jewel's has really lowered their prices lately too. Shopping and fast food is not as good as Houston though.

If I won the Lotto I'd maybe rent this so I can have a lot more possessions: Big 3br/2ba, 3min walk to L, central a/c, d/w, hardwood, pets welcome!

Here's renting from that new building on Division and Ashland: Unique new building in Wicker Park! Avail 10/1

Expensive Wicker Park 2br: Attractive Apartment in Killer Location! Sleek Finishes! Roof Deck!
Not enough space for me.

Houston was way cheaper on rents and better salaries there when I left Feb 2009.

And visiting the museums now is expensive. I hardly go to them though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 06:58 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
tell us more about your bikes

Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 PM

also, move back to Houston

Old 09-24-2013, 07:01 PM

also, get a job

Old 09-24-2013, 07:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
First of all, no, just no. When you compare Chicago to the likes of NYC, Boston, DC, San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, etc then Chicago on average is a steal. Sure, you could easily find expensive places here but you don't have to. That's the point really though before. It's a big city that packs a lot of punch, yet you don't have to break the bank like you do in some other cities.

Second of all, Since when are Wicker Park and Logan Square (I disagree that everywhere in Logan Square is expensive - mostly not) the only places in town to rent from? There's plenty of areas of town where the rent is still cheap even in the areas you mentioned.

* Spacious duplex available July 1st: 3Bd/2Ba, walk to blue line, logan square...
* Great value for your money in Logan Square, 2 bedrooms, near blue line
* 3 bdrms, 2 baths on Kedzie Blvd, Logan Sq, washer/dryer, walk to blue line

Or how about other parts of town?
* 4 Level Townhouse. Garage. Washer/Dryer. 9/1!!
* Pilsen 2 Bd. - *** SHOWING THUR 9/26 - 6:00 PM TO 6:30 PM ***
* PILSEN Newly rehabbed 3 Bedroom 1 bath $1100
* Apartment for rent
* 3 bed/ 2 bath - East Village/ Noble Square
* Nice Two Bedroom / Dishwasher, Laundry in Unit
* 2 Bed. Garage. 5 mins to Addison Blue L. Available Now!!
* Nicely updated 2br apartment in Brighton Park

I have barely even listed any areas of Chicago there and there's many more that are just as much and many more that are cheaper.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:08 PM

102 posts, read 132,757 times
Cost is fair my only complaint cost wise is how liberally and excessively tickets are passed out. They'll literally ticket you every 20 minutes when possible.....

Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 PM

89 posts, read 120,889 times
Um, welcome to Chicago? marothisu is right-on about cost of living versus other "desireable" cities. I say generally because there are cheaper areas in ANY city to live, but you have to be able to accept the trade-off. Wicker Park is still a very desirable area even though it's alledgedly losing it's hipster edge and will still be priced accordingly; however Belmont Cragin has some nice homes and is fairly safe but less expensive because it's not an "in" place to live right now. I've lived in East Lakeview, Printer's Row, Lincoln Park and Old Town and don't regret living in any of those neighborhoods because it was worth it to me to live there for just 1 year to have the experience of living in those neighborhoods. However, I didn't fall in love with any of them and that's why I left each of them. If you want a hip, trendy place to live in Chicago for cheap I'd suggest that you look into buying a condo while there's plenty of them out there. Also, get renter's insurance with a specific rider to cover your bikes! I'm doing something similar with my music and recording gear.

Regarding salary scale here...yeah, it sucks. But really, this isn't specific to Chicago, it's just the mess that our whole economy and way of life has been in for the last 40 years. It seems to be generally accepted that you won't ever be paid what you are worth based on education and experience. I currently work in the legal field and do three people's worth of work for dramatically less that the $54k you're looking holding out for. I don't know your career goals or qualifications and am not trying to offend you (in fact I emphatically agree with you), but this is unfortunately the new reality of the American Workforce. I made more money working in Dallas or Oklahoma City for a more fair amount of work than here, but I wanted the experience of living in Chicago while I can have it. Not many regrets at all, but I have decided that it's time for me to start a new chapter and move out of Chicago; no fault of Chicago's but a happily lived portion of my life and I'm eager for the next one.

Not sure if you're complaining or not, but if you're enjoying Wicker Park and living in Chicago then rock on! If you decide that it's not worth it then move like I will; Chicago will always be here if you miss it later and want to come back.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Complaining about not being able to afford living in Chicago??
Let's see why...
-Wicker Park
-Garage
-80000 worth of junk
-Don't have a job, but trying to get cable...

If I was able to live there on my own on 20k, you can do it too. And there are plenty of jobs in the 50k range. Should've got one before you moved.
Quit yer b-tchin'

Old 09-25-2013, 08:36 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
I pay $760 a month for a real nice one bedroom, right on Belmont on just two blocks away from the an El station, in a a nice and safe neighborhood that is walkable and I don't need a car. Please show me any other peer city be it domestic or global that can provide something so affordable? If my apartment were in NYC it would be something probably like $1400 a month, if it were in SF probably like $1300 a month if it were in Boston, DC or LA probably something like $1200 month. Yeah not so bad really.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Jesse,
Take a job even if it "only" pays $40K/year. Why? Because you will be a far more attractive job candidate being employed. Then when you have a year or so of successful employment, look for promotions or another job that will pay you more. Captain hindsight here thinks it was a mistake not to take the offer even if it was lowball. Don't you feel bad about sponging or running through your savings? I also hope you are not battling an undiagnosed illness. Depression is sneaky as are other mental illnesses. Society is still not as open minded about those who discuss mental illness as it should be; so have the courage to make sure you are healthy in body, soul and mind! I enjoy your posts and mean this like a well meaning uncle would.
Cubssox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago