Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times

Advertisements

If you haven't heard of it, here's the website. 150 places open for free the weekend of Oct 19-20
Open House Chicago

If you have heard of it, or have gone, what suggestions do you have for route?

I plan on bringing my camera--but it's my first Open House as we moved here over the summer. I want to catch the best places but am totally realistic that we may oversleep a bit (haha)... we love churches and history, so yeap. That's about my only plan so far.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 09:12 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
I went to the very first one (don't think I made it last year). It was great. I just make a list of the places I want to visit and start early. If you want to see the sites downtown, make a list, check locations and try to plan it so that your locations aren't too spread out. Also, some of the sites are not open all weekend. Make sure you're aware of the dates (very important).

Old 10-06-2013, 09:26 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Found out about this thing this week. So cool. I definitely plan on going to some of these. So many places to check out, so little time. I really want to check out the original Sears HQ and Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica. Never been to either.

So many cool buildings on here it's ridiculous. I just learned that a mosque in South Shore in this thing was modeled after the Aya Sofya in Istanbul (one of my favorite cities in the world).

Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
That mosque in Istanbul is actually the greatest church ever built. Hagia Sophia.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
That mosque in Istanbul is actually the greatest church ever built. Hagia Sophia.
I've been there probably five times, haha. It's a great church/museum/mosque.There's actually a "Little Aya Sofya" not far from the Sultan Ahmed Mosque, which was built before the main Aya Sofya. A lot of people miss it. It's not that big but still pretty interesting.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Found out about this thing this week. So cool. I definitely plan on going to some of these. So many places to check out, so little time. I really want to check out the original Sears HQ and Our Lady of Sorrows Basilica. Never been to either.

So many cool buildings on here it's ridiculous. I just learned that a mosque in South Shore in this thing was modeled after the Aya Sofya in Istanbul (one of my favorite cities in the world).
I went to the original Sears tower last year. Very cool experience, I'll be returning with a better camera this year.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

I went through these last year and they were both great. The views from the Sears Tower and the degree to which the building was run down yet frozen in time was very impressive. The top is a huge open area and they had a small orchestra playing, then you could walk up a staircase and look out the 360 degrees of windows. The paint was peeling and it seemed like a ruin, which combined with the suit and tie orchestra playing made for a very very cool atmosphere.

We took the train downtown on Saturday and hit up a few dozen sites there, then on Sunday jumped in the car and did the south and west sides. I LOVED it and can't wait for this year.

Just a note - some places try to do a lot of tours, and some were pretty boring and took like an hour which eats up the day quickly. I would rather just walk though more quickly.

The South Shore Cultural Center was very beautiful.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:35 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
I will definitely check out the old Sears Tower. Thanks!

Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
Well, it starts tomorrow! What are some must-see places everyone is visiting? It's my first year this year and I fully acknowledge I have no clue where to go or what to see.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:10 AM

I am trying to rally a few people to go. I really want to check out the original Sears Tower and Our Lady of Sorrows Bascilica in North Lawndale/Garfield Park. Holy Cross Immaculate Heart of Mary in Back of the Yards looks interesting, as does The Plant urban farm in the same area. Mosque Maryam in South Shore as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: