Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 02:02 PM

158 posts, read 302,271 times

Advertisements

Even in the old days alot of Southside Irish looked down their noses at the Irish on West Side in neighborhoods like Austin, West Garfield Park and Douglas Park. This is at least what older people on my Mother's side tell me. In fact many used to refer to West Siders as North Siders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 02:40 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
Even in the old days alot of Southside Irish looked down their noses at the Irish on West Side in neighborhoods like Austin, West Garfield Park and Douglas Park. This is at least what older people on my Mother's side tell me. In fact many used to refer to West Siders as North Siders.
That's funny because my mother, from Ulster no less, looked down her fine long nose at the South Side Irish, especially those from Bridgeport (where my father's father first went when he got off the boat from Mayo, before going to the West Side).

She never cared much for people from Kerry either.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:12 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Bingo. The South Side is where "respectable" blacks live. The West Side is where "country" blacks live.
What happened is that blacks settled on the south side first. So they were there about a generation before those west side black folks left the farm. Then, of course they looked down on the newcomers who were relatively poor and country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
Well, Andrew Greeley, a famous Irish priest and author, was from the west side.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 PM

158 posts, read 302,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
What happened is that blacks settled on the south side first. So they were there about a generation before those west side black folks left the farm. Then, of course they looked down on the newcomers who were relatively poor and country.

Well, Andrew Greeley, a famous Irish priest and author, was from the west side.
That is true St. Angela's Parish.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:58 AM

283 posts, read 447,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
One exception I've noticed is that people from Beverly would never say they're from "the South side of Chicago". They say they're from Beverly, and are darn proud of it, understandably so.
I've lived in Beverly for ~10 years (did not grow up there though) and I emphasize I live in Chicago's South Side as opposed to 'Beverly' but mention 'Beverly' when being specific of neighborhood.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:32 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebizkit View Post
Cabrini Green was the most infamous west side attraction, even though Chicagoans did not really consider it the west side.
Chicagoans did not consider it the West Side because it was (is) very much on the North Side.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
As to the original question, look at the shape of the city. It's long in the north/south direction along the lake, and very short in the east/west direction. It naturally splits in to north and south, and the West Side is much smaller.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:46 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
As to the original question, look at the shape of the city. It's long in the north/south direction along the lake, and very short in the east/west direction. It naturally splits in to north and south, and the West Side is much smaller.
Not to mention the density and drive of the city tends to be highest towards the lakefront throughout the city, and then drops off from there are you move west. The west side is really small when to an outsider if you showed them a map of the city they might be more inclined to just divide it into north and south given the fact the city is more tall and slender in shape.

The stereotypes of "the west side" being very run down is pretty small physically. Once you hit south lawndale it's very hispanic and seems to be more "southwest side" as it goes towards midway. Once you get above Fullerton or so it seems to be "northwest" side along with the "north side". West side is pretty small and just sandwiched in. Fairly run down, lots of industrial. Easy to pass over it when talking about the major areas of the city.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 AM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Chicagoans did not consider it the West Side because it was (is) very much on the North Side.
Huh? How do you figure something south of North Ave to be "North Side"?

Old 10-15-2013, 04:17 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Huh? How do you figure something south of North Ave to be "North Side"?
The Near North Side is entirely south of North Avenue:

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...hicago-IL.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago