Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:11 PM

896 posts, read 1,392,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Stephei2000, you're behind a little bit. After the OP said where they and husband would be working, Lincoln Square/Ravenswood was thrown out. Too far away.

Yeah, I was looking for that if there was any changes. Did you have fun rubbing that in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 06:08 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,771,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
Yeah, I was looking for that if there was any changes. Did you have fun rubbing that in?
I did. Do you want me to do it again?

Old 10-15-2013, 06:08 PM

33 posts, read 44,954 times
I REALLY appreciate the insight Guys. What do you all think about the Near Southside Neighborhood? After talking to my husband today, we decided we are open to trying the high rise condo living. We haven't lived in a condo since our single days, but figure it may be pretty cool.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:14 PM

Near Southside - South Loop mainly is fine. There's stuff to do there (not a RIDICULOUS amount but still some) and it's pretty quiet albeit right in the city and some may consider this to be "downtown." I can't comment much about the community of course. It's close to Museum Campus (i.e. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium) and Soldier Field (where the Bears play). I believe a number of young black "professionals" live there too and the whole thing is around 30% black. I'd say it's decently diverse from my experience. Close to Chinatown as well, not too far from where the White Sox play (and not TERRIBLY far from the Cubs either), right on some public transit lines, etc.

I would say it's less community feeling than a low rise neighborhood, but I don't think it's a bad area at all. The condos/apartments are also cheaper than in River North/Streeterville there and there's some real nice buildings there. Also, it should be noted that there are low rise options in that area too mainly south of Roosevelt Ave.

It's probably not a bad location because it's right on I-290 which can take you to work OR better yet you can take public transit there. You have a few options depending on where in the medical district you work. For your husband, he could probably go down Lakeshore Drive just a little, to I-55 for a little bit, then to I-90/94 which shouldn't be too bad I don't think. I should also point out that in high rises, your car can cost $$ to park. Like $175-200+/month per spot.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Near Southside - South Loop mainly is fine. There's stuff to do there (not a RIDICULOUS amount but still some) and it's pretty quiet albeit right in the city and some may consider this to be "downtown." I can't comment much about the community of course. It's close to Museum Campus (i.e. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium) and Soldier Field (where the Bears play). I believe a number of young black "professionals" live there too and the whole thing is around 30% black. I'd say it's decently diverse from my experience. Close to Chinatown as well, not too far from where the White Sox play (and not TERRIBLY far from the Cubs either), right on some public transit lines, etc.

I would say it's less community feeling than a low rise neighborhood, but I don't think it's a bad area at all. The condos/apartments are also cheaper than in River North/Streeterville there and there's some real nice buildings there. Also, it should be noted that there are low rise options in that area too mainly south of Roosevelt Ave.
Thanks. We are going to consider the low rise option as well. I am researching the private schools in the area. I already found the Near South Little League Team's website. My son loves playing baseball. He has been playing since he was 5 years old.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
It's probably not a bad location because it's right on I-290 which can take you to work OR better yet you can take public transit there. You have a few options depending on where in the medical district you work. For your husband, he could probably go down Lakeshore Drive just a little, to I-55 for a little bit, then to I-90/94 which shouldn't be too bad I don't think. I should also point out that in high rises, your car can cost $$ to park. Like $175-200+/month per spot.
We discussed the parking situation. We'll have to budget for that. We are bringing two cars that will be paid off by the time of our move., so that will free up $$. I plan to use public transportation to get to the work, if we move to that area.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loquacious08 View Post
Thanks. We are going to consider the low rise option as well. I am researching the private schools in the area. I already found the Near South Little League Team's website. My son loves playing baseball. He has been playing since he was 5 years old.
Nice. Yeah I think it's a decent area. Now if you were 23 and single, I'd say "eh, not bad, but there's better areas." Remember the noise thing though, it can be quiet, but it's also basically right downtown, so if your windows are open, you might be able to hear the train go by or something (depends on how far away you are though - I live in Gold Coast in a high rise and am a half mile east of a train line and can see it, but I can barely ever hear it). The worst is actually sirens - see where the fire stations are especially. You don't want to be right near one..

I forgot to mention too that South Loop is right on Grant Park (where Obama's 2008 acceptance party was held), which is the second largest park in Chicago (Lincoln Park is the largest). There's actually 16 baseball/softball fields there. If you go to this link, you can see them bounded by Balbo Ave on the north and E 11th St on the South

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/a...Grant_Park.pdf

Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 PM

Here's some pics, in case you're curious to what it looks like

Old 10-15-2013, 07:12 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,040,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Or worse. There are a LOT of working-class suburban Chicago neighborhoods with small (1200 s.f. and less) boxy ranch houses on small lots that basically represent a small step up from the trailer park. I'm talking about places like Lyons, North Riverside, Berkley, Broadview, Dolton, Hillside, etc. These areas are hardly "strip mall-topia", but are probably LESS charming than the latest cul-de-sac in Plainfield, if that is possible. I don't see much future for these places, as it seems very unlikely that this type of housing will ever be desirable to anyone of any means or education.

And of course, there are a lot of suburbs that have charming, walkable cores that would be considered "urban" in 75% of U.S. metro areas. Your characterization of "Oak Park and Evanston verses suburban sprawl" is overly simplistic. A place like La Grange is only moderately less hip than Oak Park, since most people that move to suburbs have largely given up on "hipness" as a priority.

Back to the original question: Beverly is now one of the more integrated neighborhoods in Chicago, and the idea that it is hostile to black residents is probably dated. But unless you have private school option there that you are really attached to or a mandate to live within the city limits, I see no advantage to living in Beverly over an inner-ring suburb with good public schools and superior amenities.
Very true. Thanks for adding. And yeah, its the same in all metro areas. Neighborhoods of cheaply constructed postwar tract homes have declined in all metro areas. In LA, its definitely true of many parts of the San Fernando Valley, and like johnnynonos mentioned, its especially true in the inner ring Detroit burbs.

Yeah, I do like La Grange a lot in fact. It lacks a little in the Singles demographic compared to Oak Park, Evanston, or Naperville (which are probably the best you're going to get if you are in your 20s/30s, single and looking for friends/dating but don't want to live in the city), but great for couples and families.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Here's some pics, in case you're curious to what it looks like

Thanks for the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago