Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:19 AM

25 posts, read 31,371 times

Advertisements

"The Evolving Chicago River"
The Evolving Chicago River
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:20 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
The Chicago River can rightfully call itself Chicago's second great waterfront. with its man made canyons, it is like no other river in the world. uniquely Chicago.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:31 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times
I am so happy that Chicago is investing more into the Riverwalk. I think it is a great asset to the city, and can help bring more people in. I also love the Wolf Point development. Curbed just put an article about the city looking to install a "Lighting Framework Plan" along the river. Looks interesting.

City Formally Launches Ambitious Lighting Framework Plan

Old 06-06-2014, 08:09 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
The Chicago River can rightfully call itself Chicago's second great waterfront. with its man made canyons, it is like no other river in the world. uniquely Chicago.
Sure-- except for every other large city with skyscrapers that has a river running through it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great, and will be greater once the river walk is complete. I don't think it's uniquely Chicago, though.

If anything, the part that has been unique to Chicago is our relative lack of pedestrian access to the river and very few bars/cafes/restaurants along the river compared to other cities. I thought that was truly bizarre when I first moved here, until I learned the history about how the river was basically a smelly open-air sewer until relatively recently.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Sure-- except for every other large city with skyscrapers that has a river running through it.
ok. name one other river in the US where the skyscrapers line both banks while enclosing it into canyon status. i can't think of one except an absolutely min-version in our neighbors to the north, Milwaukee.

I'm talking a real canyon, the type that can exist only with a narrow enough river and a long string of high rises.

The East River certainly doesn't give that effect between DT Manhattan & DT Bkyn. The Hudson doesn't give it between DT Manhattan and Jersey City and certainly doesn't between Manhattan and the high rises on the Palisades. the Cambridge side of the Charles doesn't have the skyscrapers Boston does. Neither the opposite banks of Allegheny and Susquahana have high rises like DT Pgh. Biscayne Bay can give you Miami high rises and Miami Beach high rises, but it is a bay, not a river.

Where else but in Chicago do you have a river run smack through tall buildings in the downtown core.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:45 PM

93 posts, read 125,376 times
Our university just started a crew team (depaul). We absolutely love rowing through downtown every mornings. The river has straight shots, long enough for a 2k race( main type of race in rowing), and it is curvy enough to make the row enjoyable and scenic. next fall we are setting up downtown chicago's first collegiate race between university of chicago, northwestern and ourselves(depaul), between chinatown and the harrison street bridge. The water is still pretty dirty (condoms and other nasty stuff) but has gotten a lot cleaner since I was a kid in wicker park, and hopefully clean enough to swim in when i'm a senior -3 years. fingers crossed.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:15 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
...Where else but in Chicago do you have a river run smack through tall buildings in the downtown core.
San Antonio, TX. The Riverwalk.
Paris, France. The Seine
London. The Thames.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:48 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
There are a lot of urban rivers. Melbourne, Brisbane, London, Paris, Miami, etc. However, I've never seen one that looked much like the Chicago River.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
San Antonio, TX. The Riverwalk.
Paris, France. The Seine
London. The Thames.
i was actually referring to skyscrapers because that was the "canyon effect" i mentioned. plenty of cities have rivers running through them.

now let me go back to my original premise:

Chicago is the only city in the world that I know where a river flows through a steep, man made canyon of extremely tall high rises and skyscrapers, lining both its banks.

you know, I may have missed some global city on this account, but I certainly can't think of one American city (or one North American, for that matter) that would have such a description.

if anyone wants to offer up alternatives, please fill me in.

Quote:
i don't think i could have been clearer as to what i meant.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:48 PM

132 posts, read 325,263 times
Quote:
Tokyo

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago