Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 12:26 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,215,396 times

Advertisements

This city is awesome, seriously it has great universities, the second best downtown in the country, it has great transportation, the city traffic isn't that bad for a city that's very large. Its so diverse, walking around downtown you see Hispanics, Asians, blacks, Arabics...
Even when your driving up here from Indianapolis, Cleveland you get excited when you start hitting the traffic and the crazy drivers, once you pass the Illinois sign you get even more excited. Chicago is a busy city and I like that, Chicago neighborhoods are some of the best in the country and some are even named best for families in the country.
The city is has toms and tons of different types of food, pizza, hot dogs, there all made in a special Chicago style, which makes it taste even better, Portillos has been asked by every single state in the country and even other countries to be located there.
The beaches are just like the real ocean without the salt and sharks, you get waves and everything and the temperature in the water is sometimes very warm. The nightlife is fantastic here, so many different neighborhoods to experience, its not dead at all.
People don't know this but when you look at the math, Chicago is not the murder capital of the country in fact it isn't the crime capital either, the media has really made this city look like a fool run by terrible politicians and have terrible crime. Our crime is going down fact show it and everything.
The city has very good museums, just the culture is astonishing here, the stores are very good too. I don't care what people say i feel very safe here more safe than i did in Memphis or New Orleans.
People wished they lived here, we get all the major city amenities we want, and we get cheap housing and foods!
I mean this city is an ALPHA+ city i mean this city is ranked higher than Sydney, Dubai, Moscow, Toronto and Mexico city.
I love THIS CITY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 12:41 PM

39 posts, read 52,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
This city is awesome, seriously it has great universities, the second best downtown in the country, it has great transportation, the city traffic isn't that bad for a city that's very large. Its so diverse, walking around downtown you see Hispanics, Asians, blacks, Arabics...
Even when your driving up here from Indianapolis, Cleveland you get excited when you start hitting the traffic and the crazy drivers, once you pass the Illinois sign you get even more excited. Chicago is a busy city and I like that, Chicago neighborhoods are some of the best in the country and some are even named best for families in the country.
The city is has toms and tons of different types of food, pizza, hot dogs, there all made in a special Chicago style, which makes it taste even better, Portillos has been asked by every single state in the country and even other countries to be located there.
The beaches are just like the real ocean without the salt and sharks, you get waves and everything and the temperature in the water is sometimes very warm. The nightlife is fantastic here, so many different neighborhoods to experience, its not dead at all.
People don't know this but when you look at the math, Chicago is not the murder capital of the country in fact it isn't the crime capital either, the media has really made this city look like a fool run by terrible politicians and have terrible crime. Our crime is going down fact show it and everything.
The city has very good museums, just the culture is astonishing here, the stores are very good too. I don't care what people say i feel very safe here more safe than i did in Memphis or New Orleans.
People wished they lived here, we get all the major city amenities we want, and we get cheap housing and foods!
I mean this city is an ALPHA+ city i mean this city is ranked higher than Sydney, Dubai, Moscow, Toronto and Mexico city.
I love THIS CITY!!!
Taxes, Political corruption, Crime, Ghetto Culture and an antiquated public transportation system are some downers for sure. The city itself has a lot going for it, but the people running it are so corrupt and everyone is only interested in getting re-elected that it takes forever for things to happen in this city.

Just wondering what you consider to be the best downtown area?

Old 10-13-2013, 12:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
^ In the words of my ex who's from Asia: "Chicago has nothing on the corruption that goes on in Asia. This is ****ing child's play." But, it's still pretty damn bad here for US standards.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebizkit View Post
Taxes, Political corruption, Crime, Ghetto Culture and an antiquated public transportation system are some downers for sure. The city itself has a lot going for it, but the people running it are so corrupt and everyone is only interested in getting re-elected that it takes forever for things to happen in this city.

Just wondering what you consider to be the best downtown area?
Haha, corruption? The city unemployment rate is going down, the crime is going down, the transportation is rated the second best in the country, what does the ghetto culture have to do with anything? Go away newbies! Learn what city data is first, that's why half of the newbies get banned from this website.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:59 PM

^ Pretty sure thebizkit knows Chicago. And he's right, while crime is going down, there's still a lot of it in some neighborhoods and for US standards, the corruption in Chicago is pretty bad. The public transit system is great here, I agree, but there's flaws with it FOR SURE. If they had room to make investments, it could be so much better (and bigger).

Old 10-13-2013, 01:01 PM

39 posts, read 52,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ In the words of my ex who's from Asia: "Chicago has nothing on the corruption that goes on in Asia. This is ****ing child's play." But, it's still pretty damn bad here for US standards.
Its really sad IMO.

LA doesn't really care what goes on politically, its a city with no real culture.

NYC is too self centered to really care about politics but its leaders are so rich and powerful that they get **** done.

Chicagoan's are so used to corruption that we have stopped caring about it and just take it up the butt. Aldermen have too much power and throw around the Racist card whenever someone challenges their power.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:01 PM

Thebizkit YOUR A TROLL GO AWAY! Yes i know about Chicago corruption but does every thread have to have corruption and crime involved, this is a POSITIVE THREAD.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebizkit View Post
Chicagoan's are so used to corruption that we have stopped caring about it and just take it up the butt. Aldermen have too much power and throw around the Racist card whenever someone challenges their power.
This is true, Chicagoans have accepted it I think, but for people who have experienced other parts of the world, it's not horrific. The stuff here that people think is bad is pretty standard in many other countries/cities. Luckily in the US and Chicago, you can't pay your way out of many crimes. In a lot of countries, you could fork over $100 (maybe $500 if it's a second world country) and literally get away with murder. My friend from Brazil said that if you kill someone, just give the cop $500-$1000 and you're good. My ex used to tell me that in Asia, whenever you get pulled over or you do something illegal, you just put the equivalent of about $10 with your ID and they leave you alone.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:05 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I love THIS CITY!!!
I'm definitely in that mode today. I just finished watching the Marathon out my open windows, with the sun shining in, listening to my neighbors cheer their lungs out for hours for strangers, right down to the last straggling "runners" just ahead of the street sweepers. We are fortunate.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:10 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Perhaps, though Asia is a big place with a wide range of cultures and economies. I've only been to some of the more industrialized/wealthy parts of Asia, but the biggest thing I notice is the lack of violence, particularly gun violence, compared to the U.S. Shootings are practically non-existent in those places. When gang violence happens, it is in the form of stabbings, which may or may not result in death and which are rare and shocking enough that each one stays in the news for a week or two. The gun violence in this country is something we're not so fortunate about, but that's an American problem, not a Chicago problem (despite what the Fox News types might want you to believe), and it's not going away soon, if ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago