Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 01:03 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I'm not feeding into your derail. Bigots always show their colors--they can't help themselves. Good day.
Most CPS drop outs don't have the verbal communication skills to work in call centers, which require excellent verbal communication skills.

The problems of the urban underclass in Chicago can't be solved by the mayor alone.

These statements make me a bigot in your world view? You live in a fantasy world, buddy. But it's easier to just blame Rahm Emanuel for the city's problems than to actually do anything about them, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 01:49 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...honestly even if the city made an effort to get some admitedlly low paying jobs like "call centers" set up in some of the job wastelands that exist it would be a useful start. I know that places in rural Oklahoma near the Native American areas hard hit by poverty have benefited from even these modest efforts....

Call Centers Hiring, Seeking Customer Service Flare | NewsFactor Business
Interesting. Cost of living is extremely low in rural Oklahoma, though, which is why call centers locate there. They can get people with decent communication skills for $8-15 an hour, because that will afford a lower-middle-class type of lifestyle there. Not so much in Chicago.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Most CPS drop outs don't have the verbal communication skills to work in call centers, which require excellent verbal communication skills.

The problems of the urban underclass in Chicago can't be solved by the mayor alone.

These statements make me a bigot in your world view? You live in a fantasy world, buddy. But it's easier to just blame Rahm Emanuel for the city's problems than to actually do anything about them, I suppose.
I agree that we're dealing with a national economic problem (shrinking middle class, fewer living wage jobs, etc.) more than a local one, but Rahm's policies are contributing to the problem rather than fighting it. He's acting out of the right-wing playbook of privatizing public assets, funneling as much as possible to the wealthy. They don't call him Mayor 1% for nothing.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:27 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
If the playing field was leveled for Black owned construction companies for the past 20 years, if there where more integration and not dumping section 8 residents on Chatham and suburban Maywood, if there was more progressive hiring practices by local owned businesses, I think we would a different city.

There have been so few times I have walked into a locally owned restaurant and had a Black Male waiter. Or was checked out of the local meet market by a Black teenage cashier. Those options have not been provided for our young Black males in this city.

Chicago has a lot of work to do to have a fully functional city that extends outside of a few areas. Too much talent has left the south side for the south and other parts of the country because of racism. Most non racist White Chicagoans have no clue as how bad this city is compared to smaller cities throughout the country. 200000 residents leaving the city is huge.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default You should read more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Interesting. Cost of living is extremely low in rural Oklahoma, though, which is why call centers locate there. They can get people with decent communication skills for $8-15 an hour, because that will afford a lower-middle-class type of lifestyle there. Not so much in Chicago.
There are plenty of ways for folks to have a much better life in Chicago earning modest wages in a safe environment.

Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets: Sudhir Venkatesh: 9780143114932: Amazon.com: Books

Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are plenty of ways for folks to have a much better life in Chicago earning modest wages in a safe environment.

Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets: Sudhir Venkatesh: 9780143114932: Amazon.com: Books
Whatever you say, Burb Boy. Having lived and worked in both places, I know a bit about the cost of living difference between the two. You see, some of us only comment on things we actually know about. Feel free to try this approach sometime.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 10-21-2013 at 09:05 AM..

Old 10-21-2013, 10:26 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I must be living in a North/Northwest Side bubble because I didn't even know this was going on. I guess I could tell something was finally happening over there on the rather rare occasions I found myself in East Side. But I didn't realize it was this.

South Lake Shore Drive extension soon open to drivers, development - Chicago Tribune
Well I'll be....

Old 10-22-2013, 02:19 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
So the bigger picture is this: Home | Lakeside

Mixed Use Development for Chicago Lakeside | Residential, Retail, Commercial Space | Lakeside

Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 PM

Default Completely agree --

Quote:
I agree that we're dealing with a national economic problem (shrinking middle class, fewer living wage jobs, etc.) more than a local one, but Rahm's policies are contributing to the problem rather than fighting it. He's acting out of the right-wing playbook of privatizing public assets, funneling as much as possible to the wealthy. They don't call him Mayor 1% for nothing.
-- if Rahm was not such a slave to the folks that throw money at his campaign MAYBE he'd realize that serving those donors to a bigger slice of the pie will ultimately make Chicago even less governable precisely because the developers like to cater folks like Rahm himself: people that have made LOTS of money and like to spend it on things like private schools for their kids.

It would be very interesting to see how different things would be if there were more sense of local responsibility for encouraging income inequality...

Is Inequality the Purview of City Government? | City Notes

I don't agree with all of daniel hertz ideas but it hard to argue that Chicago has done much more for the haves than the have nots in both the Daley & Emmanual administrations.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:10 PM

Default Your post has been reported for violation of TOS

Quote:
{zero content}
?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: