Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,502 times

Advertisements

Hello,

In the next few months I will be moving to Chicago to finish my last 2 years of medical school. I will be working long days/nights primarily at Jackson Park Hospital in the South Shore community. I've searched the forum and didn't find anything specific to commuting to the south side. If there is already a similar thread, I wouldn't mind reference to it.

I know that South Shore is not the greatest area and I've been told that taking the bus there can be a bit sketchy. The closest train stop that I can see is at 75th (Grand Crossing) and is about 6 blocks from the hospital. Would it be wise to walk that 6 blocks every day? Or bike it? I'm assuming bikes are allowed on the trains, but unless the hospital has a very secure area for bikes, I imagine that it would be stolen pretty quickly if it were chained anywhere outside.

The hospital has a parking garage, of course, and I've thought of buying a cheap car to commute. However, I've been told by former Chicagoans that owning a car there is more trouble than it's worth. I'm assuming that commute by cab every day would get rather expensive and I'll be living off of student loans.

Please excuse me if I have a completely incorrect view of this area. I'm just trying to do plenty of research before I decide where in the city to live and when planning transportation.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:26 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I semi remember a thread a month or two ago like this. I'd have to dig it up though.

First off, yes bikes are allowed on trains here (and for buses, you can attach them to the front of the bus). I personally think that taking the bus would be safer than walking or biking, but that's just me (and I bet some would agree with me). Public transit here is normally pretty safe no matter where you are.

As far as the car thing goes, I think it depends on where you live. Certainly in some parts, owning a car is not a massive hassle and others it may be. Personally, I think there are many areas on the south side which it wouldn't be a massive hassle (some maybe, but many no).

Old 10-16-2013, 08:26 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
It looks like it would be a pretty easy commute from Hyde Park via the 28 Stony Island bus. I'd consider buying a car though.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The folks that talk about "how much of a hassle it is to have a car" almost certainly live in congested north side neighborhoods and work in the Loop where the ease of access via the EL is first rate.

Folks that work in hospitals, especially those a little off the beaten path, pretty much NEED cars as their schedule rarely meshes with traditional rush hours and they would waste tremendous time waiting for off peak transit. In some parts of Chicago the risk of violence walking even a few blocks is far outweighed by the safety / convenencience of a car.

It would be a smart choice to get a car even if one were to live in Hyde Park or other south side communities to make your stay at South Shore hospital as pleasnt as possible.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 AM

Yeah if you live in the South Side, even Hyde Park, I don't see the harm in buying a car if you can afford it. I agree with Chet that a lot of the people saying it's a hassle live in pretty dense areas, probably on the North Side, part of the West Side, and some parts of the south side (there ARE dense areas of the South Side, but on average not like the North Side - South Side is also much larger in physical area). It is true that owning a car can be a hassle here, but it's not bound to everywhere in the city at all. You could rely on public transit easily, but again that all depends on schedules, where you live, etc.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,502 times
Thank you all for the quick replies.

I'm thinking that a car would probably be best, at least for daily commutes. I could forget it for non-work related activities. Also, I'm guessing looking into Hyde Park for an apartment is reasonable?

Old 10-16-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rhinoceros View Post
Also, I'm guessing looking into Hyde Park for an apartment is reasonable?
Depends on your budget, but yes it's a good area not too far from the hospital you'd be at. It is the area with the U of Chicago.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 PM

148 posts, read 307,629 times
You definitely need a car for the 5AM surgery pre-rounding you will have to do

Old 10-16-2013, 08:17 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
It is best to take the Metra Electric to 71st and Stoney and then the #28 to the hospital, if you get the Metra downtown. On the CTA, take the #6 to 67th street and switch to the #28 or take the #28 express from downtown. The #28 goes to the hospital door. Bikes are allowed on Metra trains on off-peak hours but not during Taste of Chicago. Bikes are allowed on buses at anytime.

You can live where you want and I have biked down Stoney to the hospital area. It is not the best area but a car is not mandatory. The hospital does have a parking lot but it is kind of junky.

Taking the bus is not sketchy -- you are on Stoney Island which is a major boulevard and the bus lets you off right across the street. On return, you take the bus from the hospital door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: