Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 01:08 PM

221 posts, read 335,238 times

Advertisements

Well, the city dumped 2 blue carts on my building...but the big question is, where to put this mess? I have a 3 flat with 3 black carts, and now 2 blue carts. The 3 black carts already take up all the space in the alley for garbage cans, did anyone think of where people would put these before signing that nice contract with the garbage can manufacturer?

And a quick survey says that there will be no free of charge on-site garbage sorting provided by the residents of this building, so the 3 black carts are still needed.

Similar space issues exist pretty much all up and down the block.

Ideas for alternate uses for these carts? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 01:13 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
We need two recycling bins and only one garbage bin. We produce about one garbage bag per week. But fill the recycling bin with bottles, cans, boxes etc weekly. Call the alderman and ask they take away a garbage bin.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:39 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
Well, the city dumped 2 blue carts on my building...but the big question is, where to put this mess? I have a 3 flat with 3 black carts, and now 2 blue carts. The 3 black carts already take up all the space in the alley for garbage cans, did anyone think of where people would put these before signing that nice contract with the garbage can manufacturer?

And a quick survey says that there will be no free of charge on-site garbage sorting provided by the residents of this building, so the 3 black carts are still needed.

Similar space issues exist pretty much all up and down the block.

Ideas for alternate uses for these carts? lol
You shouldn't need 3 black carts now that you have blue carts, the majority of "trash" is recyclable using the single-stream system Chicago provides. Just call 311 and ask the City to take away one of the black ones.

And if the residents are too lazy or ignorant to take the time to learn the difference between where they should place metal, glass, paper separate from trash bound for landfill, time to wake up and join the late 20th century.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:04 PM

btw, loads of info here:

Chicago Recycling Coalition Home Page

Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
too lazy or ignorant to take the time to learn the difference between where they should place metal, glass, paper separate from trash bound for landfill, time to wake up and join the late 20th century.
Nahh, the current single-stream system of a full garbage bag walked out to the garbage can will be used. They seem to get the impression that they havent been hired-on to work for free at a garbage sorting plant, imagine that

Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Nahh, the current single-stream system of a full garbage bag walked out to the garbage can will be used. They seem to get the impression that they havent been hired-on to work for free at a garbage sorting plant, imagine that
That's how recycling generally works anywhere. People sort their own garbage. Oh well, sounds like you're screwed.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
btw, loads of info here:

Chicago Recycling Coalition Home Page

Thanks for this link, looking at the city website didnt have this bit...

"Why is my cart being delivered to the front of my house? No. If you do not want to recycle, please provide your address and we will remove your cart."

For a while there I thought I'd have to scratch out the house number penned on it and dump it somewhere

Old 10-18-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
You understand that by mixing in trash with recyclables, you are actually shooting yourself in the foot by insuring your taxes are higher, right?

Or are you under the impression that Chicago's trash is welcomed with open arms by the distant communities who still run landfill sites? Hint: it costs a lot of money to haul huge trucks of waste both in terms of fuel and paying for the landfill tipping costs.

S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S. - SFGate

I await the day we also start fining people who are just this abysmally incompetent at the game of life. Why should those of us who aren't idiots have to pay to support those too stupid to just have an extra bin in their house for recyclables?

Really, what an amazing sacrifice you're being asked to make. And the cost of that extra bin, my god, it's almost 5 bucks and that doesn't even count shipping!

Amazon.com: In-Home Recycling Bins: Storage & Organization

Old 10-18-2013, 04:45 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,051,956 times
Quote:
You understand that by mixing in trash with recyclables, you are actually shooting yourself in the foot by insuring your taxes are higher, right?

Or are you under the impression that Chicago's trash is welcomed with open arms by the distant communities who still run landfill sites? Hint: it costs a lot of money to haul huge trucks of waste both in terms of fuel and paying for the landfill tipping costs.

S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S. - SFGate

I await the day we also start fining people who are just this abysmally incompetent at the game of life. Why should those of us who aren't idiots have to pay to support those too stupid to just have an extra bin in their house for recyclables?

Really, what an amazing sacrifice you're being asked to make. And the cost of that extra bin, my god, it's almost 5 bucks and that doesn't even count shipping!

Amazon.com: In-Home Recycling Bins: Storage & Organization
No kidding.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:23 PM

I suppose I should find it amusing that there are horses out there that recognize they are being led to water, yet still just ***** and moan that opening their mouth to drink is too much work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago