Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:50 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Outside of Russia, which by default isn't America, and excluding Mexicans, I don't think I have seen any multi-generational households.
Are Russia and Mexico the only foreign counties you are aware of, by chance? Multi-generational households are common in more of the world than not.

That being said, I can't imagine wanting to live with my parents at 26. I wouldn't judge someone else for doing it, but I probably wouldn't date them, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 12:35 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Are Russia and Mexico the only foreign counties you are aware of, by chance?
No, but I am Russian and I have seen multi generational households in Russia. The Mexican comment was in reference to Mexicans inside the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Multi-generational households are common in more of the world than not.
But it's not common among Americans and if the poster I originally replied to was referencing non Americans there would be no need to single out white people.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Speaking as a woman in her late 20's, this wouldn't bother me, especially if he's helping out in the household, financially and chore-wise and isn't living as a adult child under Mommy's rule. In fact, I'm more likely to appreciate a guy who does this versus one who stretches his budget thin so he could live in a party neighborhood like Lakeview with his "bros".

Multi-generational homes are pretty common in immigrant communities and I have tons of relatives my age, male and female, living at home. They help their parents with expenses, pay down their own debt, start saving up for their own future homes and families. Everyone wins out in the end and the guy has some money to put down for his own place once he gets married. I think I read somewhere that only in America are parents so quick to kick out their kids and kids are so eager to get out, that in other cultures, living at home is the norm and not a sign of the child being a "loser".
I agree and with your remark "only in America are parents so quick to kick out their kids........."
ps this is being said by an American parent.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I agree and with your remark "only in America are parents so quick to kick out their kids........."
ps this is being said by an American parent.
That's one reason people come to America, so they don't have to live all bunched up. Who in the Hell wants their sons hanging around when they're 10 years into adulthood? Hit the bricks buddy, get with it and leave me in peace, I did my bit. Come over for dinner on Sundays.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:52 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
There's nothing WRONG with what the guy's doing (And by "the guy", I mean the OP, since I can't help but assume that he's pulling the old "see, I have this FRIEND who lives with his parents..." thing), but it's also not necessary. Plenty of people make half of what he makes, live with roommates and still pay on their student loans. I did when I was right out of school. He could conceivably live on his own and still pay 20-30k/year toward his student loans if he wanted to get them knocked out.

If he chooses to live with his folks, I sincerely hope he's legitimately attempting to knock the debt out in as little time as possible, and he should put himself on a strict timer. No one wants to be 30 and in Mom's basement.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Mainstream America is also financially illiterate, half of them anyway. We are in the top 5 when ranked by median income, but we are 27th in median wealth.
Maybe, but I do think it is better for extended family relationships to NOT see each other all the time. Absence makes the heart grow stronger applies to family too.

I mean look at Howard Wolowitz on the Big Bang theory. I know its a stereotype of the smothering Jewish mother, but seriuosly Howards personality issues like trying to hard with the ladies rooted in low self esteem is still nonetheless rooted in his mothering smothering and treating him like a child. Obviously its a TV show but still.

Likewise I've seen close, multi-generational immigrant families and their families and the effect their constant intrusion has. I'd rather be away from family then give them all big hugs, saying I'm missed you when I see them. But, I guess I'm just too american.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:37 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Come on.
Don't be a white guy.
Every other culture has multiple generations at home
Even in America once upon a time, multi-generational households were the norm. Chidren, parents, and grandparents living under one roof. It was only increased prosperity and affluence that made the nuclear family possible.

Some believe that the American standard of living is now declining, and will continue to do so. If that is indeed true, then I predict that multi-generational families will once again become the norm as people will be forced to pool their resources in order to survive.

In many more traditional European cultures, it was considered normal for children to live with their parents until they got married. My dad grew up in an Italian-American family, and except for running away to California for a few years in his youth, he lived at home with my grandparents until he got married in his 30s. Granted, this was back in the 1940s-50s.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:27 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,581,918 times
I wouldn't advise living at home with your parents, especially since you can afford to move out. Girls, most girls living in the US, are put off by that, regardless of what people do overseas or did 50 years ago in West Town and Little Italy. Sure it would be nice if they didn't, and not all girls are that judgmental, but it's what it is.

Plus it's good to start living on your own, cooking for yourself, doing your own laundry, paying all your own bills, and not relying on your parents. Even if you intend on doing that while you're at home, you'll probably fall into teenage habits.

$55 thou a year is plenty in Chicago for a 26-year-old, even with student debt.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:00 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
If he were my kid I'd throw him out, just as I did with my sons when they hit 21........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That's one reason people come to America, so they don't have to live all bunched up. Who in the Hell wants their sons hanging around when they're 10 years into adulthood? Hit the bricks buddy, get with it and leave me in peace.......
Sounds like you are describing an obnoxious neighbor who won't leave your house after a party.
I just don't feel that way about my children. I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
There are two parts to this story that gives me two different feelings.

Living with parents at 26 to save money and pay off student loans isn't a bad idea. In many ways, considering COH in the area it could positively impact his future a great deal.

Thinking that he couldn't save money and pay rent and still be safe on 50k per year says something about him being resourceful. You don't have to live in Lincoln Park to be safe. Too many options are available in Chicagoland that would be affordable for people with his income.

Education is very important but using common sense along with other skills like being resourceful are a requirement for a successful life. 26 is the perfect age to learn. Most women who would be a candidate for a good girlfriend or possible wife would understand his decision regardless of what he choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago