Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 01:45 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I think they just didn't have the technology to build crappy back then, to some degree.
Oh, I'm pretty sure they could build crappy back then. It's just that the crappy stuff they built isn't still around. My understanding is that some of the stuff that burned up in the Chicago fire was pretty crappy. Also, if you look at pictures of boom towns (mining, oil, etc.) out west from the late 1800's and early 1900's, they built some pretty crappy shacks, because they were looking to make fast money and weren't planning on being there long.

Maybe what technology has allowed is the ability to mass-produce crappy in a polished enough way for it to look "nice" (according to some) on the surface. In the old days crappy looked crappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 01:51 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Heck most people are so caught up in technology and what not, that they don't even use their yards that much. Everytime I go to the suburbs I see how vacant and underutlizied the space that those houses have. You never see anyone hanging out outside in their front or back yards.
Good point. It's not like kids are regularly out playing in yards anymore. I think most view their yard as a place for the dog to poop and a backdrop for grilling.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Oh, I'm pretty sure they could build crappy back then. It's just that the crappy stuff they built isn't still around. My understanding is that some of the stuff that burned up in the Chicago fire was pretty crappy. Also, if you look at pictures of boom towns (mining, oil, etc.) out west from the late 1800's and early 1900's, they built some pretty crappy shacks, because they were looking to make fast money and weren't planning on being there long.

Maybe what technology has allowed is the ability to mass-produce crappy in a polished enough way for it to look "nice" (according to some) on the surface. In the old days crappy looked crappy.
Thus my qualifier "to a degree."

But there certainly was not nearly the proliferation of technology/materials that there is today invented solely for the sake of cutting corners.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:29 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Thus my qualifier "to a degree."

But there certainly was not nearly the proliferation of technology/materials that there is today invented solely for the sake of cutting corners.
There are a lot of old frame homes in Chicago that have not held up well. Not sure if it is cheap building or just lack of care though.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:35 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Good point. It's not like kids are regularly out playing in yards anymore. I think most view their yard as a place for the dog to poop and a backdrop for grilling.
I remember when I was a kid we were ALWAYS playing in the front and back yards. Nowadays I see kids maybe like once a week doing it, if even that much! When I was kid we did at least every other day. And we didn't need backyards. Plenty of room to run around out in front. Playing tag on our block hiding under porches, behind trees, behind cars, etc. I also love being in the city. I remember after school of Fridays in 8th grade we would walk to the El and take the train to the Water Tower place mall to hangout. Sometimes ride our bikes to the lake and beach then go to Mongolian BBQ on the way back home.

Heck city kids don't need yards, the city of Chicago is our backyard!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:20 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
And titling your thread "Where are the nice homes in Chicago?" then following in your post to say that Chicago architecture isn't to her standard, isn't somehow arrogant and snobbish itself?! Pot meet kettle.

This is like me saying "God where are the nice buildings in Barcelona?". Pretty arrogant and pretty effen ignorant if you ask me.

Seriously go back and read the OP's first post. Yet we are the arrogant and snobbish ones?
its not that serious, really it isn't. I get it really I do.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:36 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
its not that serious, really it isn't. I get it really I do.
Good for you!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
I understand. I am saying this is what I was use to and right this was the last upper middle class blacks.

I guess my point is "The North Side" supposedly touted as the good side of town would look more like that.
Makes me wonder what you expect Manhattan to look like.

The equivalent places in Chicago proper for the Detroit homes you posted would be Jackson Park Highlands (mostly black) and Beverly east of Western (mixed black/white, predominantly the latter). Both are on the south side.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 PM

Oh, and another note on why Chicago looks more "brown" -- when 2/3rds of the city burnt down, they decided going forward that maybe it would be a good idea to build with brick and stone instead of kindling. There's only so much room for color when you're working with stone.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:30 PM

And a final note on not having back yards: while I suppose there's something to be said for the convenience of opening the back door and shoving your kids out there to play, there are probably a dozen parks and playgrounds within walking distance of my place, some the size of a city block. Lack of open space isn't exactly a problem; but you just might have to strain yourself to put one foot in front of the other for a few blocks to get to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago