Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 01:01 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times

Advertisements

Chicago really looks ghetto-ish everywhere outside downtown. The nice houses are in the suburbs but far from every suburb is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:12 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times
OP is trolling

EDIT: and Stephei is always trolling

Old 10-28-2013, 01:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
I do not like an industrial look. It is not matter where it is located.
You're a mess. Honestly. I'm at a loss as to how to respond to your increasingly incoherent and cognitively dissonant posts.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:21 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Wow 8if stephei200 dislikes historical architecture they must think places like Paris, Rome, London, etc, are ugly. I think its ridiculous to not like something because its historical. Its one thing not to like the look its another to dismiss all buildings that are historic a l. Very narrow minded.
No I can't judge as I have been to those places yet, and no I do not hate places because of history. I just do not like or see the appeal of Chicago architecture. Just because I think Chicago architecture and unappealing and unattractive not mean I would not like other architecture.

I like architecture just not the one a typical Chicago person would like. I used to go to Palmer Woods home tours as a child. These homes were built in early 1900s and the homes architecture is stunning.

Just I do not like Chicago architecture does not mean I dislike all historical architecture. You Chicagoans seriously need to get over yourself fast.

The attitude displayed here is what annoys me socially about the city. If you have a different opinion that is not Chicago culture get ready to be put to the stake.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:19 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
No I can't judge as I have been to those places yet, and no I do not hate places because of history. I just do not like or see the appeal of Chicago architecture. Just because I think Chicago architecture and unappealing and unattractive not mean I would not like other architecture.

I like architecture just not the one a typical Chicago person would like. I used to go to Palmer Woods home tours as a child. These homes were built in early 1900s and the homes architecture is stunning.

Just I do not like Chicago architecture does not mean I dislike all historical architecture. You Chicagoans seriously need to get over yourself fast.

The attitude displayed here is what annoys me socially about the city. If you have a different opinion that is not Chicago culture get ready to be put to the stake.
Hey you are the one who said that you didn't like Chicago's architecture cause it's historical. Therefore one can only assume that any other historical architecture you would dislike. You said it yourself. Dur dur.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:52 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Wow 8if stephei200 dislikes historical architecture they must think places like Paris, Rome, London, etc, are ugly. I think its ridiculous to not like something because its historical. Its one thing not to like the look its another to dismiss all buildings that are historic a l. Very narrow minded.
Chicago's historical architecture tends to have a coarseness about it that those other cities don't have. I can appreciate it for what it is, but I also can certainly see how some would find it offputting.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:02 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
That's understandable coming from a suburbanite, I suppose. And stephei2000 is essentially a suburbanite yearning for the suburban aesthetic she found in Palmer Park growing up. Nothing really wrong with that. Some people just don't like the look of dense urban cities. Still, its another step entirely to look at Lincoln Park in 2013 and call it depressing tenement housing. That's just bizarre. Lincoln Park clearly exudes wealth.
If you look at the backs of the buildings from the el train you might come away with a completely different impression. For example, the buildings on Bissell Street north of Armitage look absolutely stunning and upscale when viewed from the street... but then ride the train and take a look at their backsides -- graffiti, bricked-up windows, brown tenement brick, rusted gutters, a generally gritty, rundown look. From the train, one might be forgiven for mistaking it for a bad neighborhood, as a few of my friends visiting from out of town actually did.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
OP is trolling

EDIT: and Stephei is always trolling
Typical, just because I have different opinion equals trolling on this board, and I love how a got deleted but I am being insulted left and right. The moderator must be in with Drover.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
If you look at the backs of the buildings from the el train you might come away with a completely different impression. For example, the buildings on Bissell Street north of Armitage look absolutely stunning and upscale when viewed from the street... but then ride the train and take a look at their backsides -- graffiti, bricked-up windows, brown tenement brick, rusted gutters, a generally gritty, rundown look. From the train, one might be forgiven for mistaking it for a bad neighborhood, as a few of my friends visiting from out of town actually did.
True, my sister thought the same thing when she visited riding the red line up going north.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Hey you are the one who said that you didn't like Chicago's architecture cause it's historical. Therefore one can only assume that any other historical architecture you would dislike. You said it yourself. Dur dur.
No I just do not like Chicago typical tenement living looking architecture architecture because it is looks ugly, run down and poor.I stated you can feel the history coming alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago