Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,459,707 times

Advertisements

Why not a registraton fee of some sort? Maybe not the same exact plan/program offered by the Mayor ... but something. The challenge is adopting a regulation which is economically enforceable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:48 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,190,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Why not a registraton fee of some sort? Maybe not the same exact plan/program offered by the Mayor ... but something. The challenge is adopting a regulation which is economically enforceable.
Rahm doesn't back the idea so it most likely will not happen.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:03 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,459,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Rahm doesn't back the idea so it most likely will not happen.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
They are proposing something similar in Georgia. I don't really understand what the purpose would be for requiring license plates and registration for non-motorized vehicles other than creating another revenue source. I get that bikes ride in the road or use bike lanes but still...
The alderwoman proposing the registration fee has been quite blunt that this is, in fact, its main purpose.

I actually see some sense in it since the city has spent a fair amount on infrastructure improvements lately for the benefit of bicyclists. Not that I'm endorsing the idea, just saying I see some sense in it...

Old 10-28-2013, 11:50 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,190,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The alderwoman proposing the registration fee has been quite blunt that this is, in fact, its main purpose.

I actually see some sense in it since the city has spent a fair amount on infrastructure improvements lately for the benefit of bicyclists. Not that I'm endorsing the idea, just saying I see some sense in it...
Yeah, I see both sides of it as well. However, people who don't drive, their taxes go to roads. People don't get to opt out of paying taxes for infrastructure that benefit drivers if they don't have a car. I think everyone benefits from having a better bike infrastructure. For those who choose to bike instead of drive, that's fewer cars on the road and also less pollution for the environment. And for those who drive that decide they may want to try their hand at cycling, even if it's just for recreational purposes, at least they know they a safe place to ride their bikes along with traffic. There are people who cycle for transportation and there are those who cycle for sport or exercise; either way bike lanes should be available for everyone to use when needed or wanted.

It think it benefits the city and the citizens to have several options for transit, to include bike lanes.

I think the city sticker is ridiculous by the way. I always have felt that way and I never drove when I lived in Chicago.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:22 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,339,629 times
It won't work. Bikes aren't big ticket items like cars. People buy, sell, swap etc all the time. One can go into a Walmart and come out with a bike for $60 (it's a piece of junk but still somewhat ridable). It will be impossible to keep track of. I own 5 bikes.

Fortunately I don't live in the city and seldom ride there so I don't have to deal with whatever crap your retarded aldermen come up with. I doubt it will go anywhere anyways.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:32 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,339,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The alderwoman proposing the registration fee has been quite blunt that this is, in fact, its main purpose [revenue].
Its the same as having red light cameras on every corner [that usually end up only ticketing right turners], now the speed cameras, having parking meters everywhere and meter maids writing tickets literally before you even have a chance to get to the pay boxes. Going into the city now a days brings the same feeling as walking through a string of bums harassing you for money. It just makes the experience not enjoyable. That is why I never go into the city if I can avoid it.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:37 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,942,173 times
This would put Jesse out on the streets...

Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,069,949 times
It's just some random alderman proposing this and the media grabbed it to get the attention that you're all giving it now. This doesn't mean anything other than some woman said it out loud.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:40 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,069,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Its the same as having red light cameras on every corner [that usually end up only ticketing right turners], now the speed cameras, having parking meters everywhere and meter maids writing tickets literally before you even have a chance to get to the pay boxes. Going into the city now a days brings the same feeling as walking through a string of bums harassing you for money. It just makes the experience not enjoyable. That is why I never go into the city if I can avoid it.
Really? Many of my best friends/BF have cars and live in the city using them every day. I don't know a single one who's gotten a red-light or speeding ticket, nor do they ever get tickets for expired meters or parking tickets.

They do this because they take a second and abide by the fairly simple rules. Don't run a red light with a camera there, don't speed with a camera there, pay a meter and look at the time left and if it says no parking or street cleaning then move your car. If it's snowing and you're on a snow route then move your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago