Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:43 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times

Advertisements

I'm thankful that I don't have to put up with idiots screaming out of the windows of limos, if I did I'd probably get in trouble for throwing things at them.

... as far as the honking think is concerned. Usually I hear people complain that there is too much honking. Being that I grew up around it, it doesn't bother me that much, but I've been nyc on numerous occasions, and didn't notice that much more in the way of honking on the street than I see downtown here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 12:58 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I'm thankful that I don't have to put up with idiots screaming out of the windows of limos, if I did I'd probably get in trouble for throwing things at them.

... as far as the honking think is concerned. Usually I hear people complain that there is too much honking. Being that I grew up around it, it doesn't bother me that much, but I've been nyc on numerous occasions, and didn't notice that much more in the way of honking on the street than I see downtown here.
I notice it BIG time whenever I am driving guests around here and I honk at someone and am told "why are you honking??? People are looking at us, you don't want them to think we're rude do you?" (Hearing that is always comical to me that people here actually care what people they don't even know will think of them for making a sound with their car (horn)) Anyways, I'm not saying Chicago is bad and if people would read my posts they would see that. People blasting their horns or yelling from car windows is not good or bad to me, it just shows though that Chicagoans are more RESERVED or well behaved if you will, and will keep more to themselves until something big irks them in a way, be it good or bad.

NYers typically are more loud mouths and love to talk from my experiences there vs here and then the tourist areas; Vegas, Miami, Nahorlans, LA are party towns where anything goes it seems.

Here is another example, human contact here is something that is much different from anywhere I have ever been before, so much so that in college years ago I remember a professor who was a NYer teaching here in IL going on about how much different people in Chicago are vs. NY or Boston on a social level. Here if someone even brushes up against you, right away the brusher upper says, "oh I'm sorry" (which is true, I have it happen almost everywhere I go be it downtown, the mall, where ever) Human contact here is viewed as an accident or something you need to appoligize for. Why I don't know????? In NY I cannot tell you how many times a day I would be bumped into or leaned up against on trains, walking down the street, where ever and rarely would anyone think anything of it, much less appoligize for it. So what if another human being touches me or someone else??? Again Chicagoans being more reserved and keeping to themselves. Thats my take on that as well as the professor who brought that up to my class one day.

Again though, Chicagoans are friendly people which one of the things I stated originally and hold many of those good midwestern values (things mom and dad taught us as kids: don't talk with your food in your mouth, dont interrupt, say you're sorry, say please and thank you, and of course... DONT TALK TO STRANGERS!). Chicago is loaded with good people who are willing to help you out if you need it, just you will have to ask typically.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:11 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
nyrules -- I'm curious how many new yorkers you've dealt with over the course of your life. I have dealt with many from the day I was born (starting with my grandfather) and of course the myriad of friends I have that live there (which have brought me to that city many times, visiting various boroughs riding the subways and buses, etc). Honestly, having family from the east-coast and having grown up in Chicago, I can say that they are not as drastically different as you seem to be asserting. Are they different cities with different sorts of cultural norms. Yes, of course they are, I can tell the difference, but from your posts you seem to be inferring a much greater difference than I've noticed over the course of my life and my dealings with both cities. We are not talking about Tokyo and Madrid here.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:13 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I don't even know why I'm responding, but I just had to point a few things out.

Quote:
Hmmm, rainbow street poles and rainbow signs in the windows???... You're right Lakeview is no gayer than lets say Lombard... Uhhhh, Lakeview is the gay capitol of Chicago FYI. Yes there are straight people there but there are a ton of gays there too. Why would the Pride Parade be put on up there and not in lets say Old Town, or Gold Coast???
The street poles and signs are just one ONE street for four blocks. There's 95,000 people living in Lakeview, and a majority of them are NOT gay. I live in Lakeview at Wellington and Racine, basically in the middle. My area has some gay people I see walking around, but a vast majority are straight people and familes. This only increases as you move west and north. I think the only areas of Lakeview with a very high concentration of gay people is between maybe Wellington and Irving Park, and east of Clark street. I still know plenty of straight coworkers who live in this area and they never bother to comment about "the gays". (I'm gay and have been in the neighborhood for years)

Quote:
And about being in "the click" here. I do get around and have lived in many other places and traveled the world, and yes FYI Chicago is VERY "clicky" When in NY I would be able to just walk up to a group of complete strangers and join in on their conversations and laugh right along with them as well as in CA. My old roomie who moved here from Seattle said the same thing about Chicago compared with Seattle as well as relatives from San Diego who come here. Here if you walk up to a group and try to join in their conversation you are viewed as being rude or get a look like you are going to rob them or something. Now I suppose if you are very attractive then that is a different story, so in that case then I guess you will have no problem meeting people.
Don't know much on this I guess, I meet new people here all the time. My friends from Texas and the east coast have commented before on how nice and welcoming people in Chicago are....

Quote:
About being reserved compared with other cities. While yes down Halsted near Belmont you will see some crazy activities going on, it is NOT even close to what you will see going on on the Warf, in Vegas, NYC, or Miami's S. Beach. You won't see people hanging out of moon roofs with bottles of wine in their hands as the limo driver is blasting his horn and girls are topless screaming for you to come F### them as you will in Vegas . Nor will you to often see men dressed in bikinis dancing on the corner as I did when in NYC on 8th Ave near W Village/Soho or any of what goes on down in South Beach or what goes on in Panama City in March and April. Therefore Chicago is more quiet and reserved.
This was the most bizarre comment, as you're saying Chicago as a city is quiet and reserved because it's not like the Vegas Strip, The Village/Soho, or Southbeach. That's like saying San Francisco is a boring city because it's not as active at night as Times Square in NYC. You're quite possibly taking the 3 most active/crazy/party atmospheres in the country (maybe French Quarter too) and saying somewhere else is quiet and reserved because it's not just like them. Of course it's not! Nothing is!

Quote:
Think about this, and I realize this is not the best of examples, but it is something I notice between here and NY. You are driving in NYC and someone is driving to close to you, what do you do??? In NY you honk at them, not to be rude, but to communicate they are getting too close to you. Here, if you honk at someone, right away you are labeled as being rude and it is disturbing the peace, so we just stop let the other guy pass and RESERVE ourselves to not make noise (to not communicate with the other driver). Here is an example, notice people are using their horns to communicate. You don't see people flipping eachother out the windows off as you will here the moment you honk at someone.
I thought the opposite when I moved here. The damn cabs here honk at you constantly, and if the light is green for more than 3 seconds people behind you start freaking out with the honking. In general though ( thank god ) people here honk less than they did in NYC.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I never said Lakeview has no gays- but I do resent the notion that it's a gay area only. If you have an issue with homosexuals, that's your own prerogative, but please do not go around spewing nonsense to people who are unfamiliar with the area. There are parts of Lakeview that have many openly gay people living there (and also straight people too) so yes if you are homophobic or uncomfortable around that kind of atmosphere I might suggest another part of the city. (Though honestly if you are, I would suggest other more conservative parts of the Midwest over Chicago)

If stupid tourists in Las Vegas screaming vulgarities out of a rented limo is what you are basing your observation about reserved off of, then sure Chicago is reserved. I fail to see what this has to do with making friends. Maybe we could stay on point a bit better.

This honking comment really makes me wonder about what city you have been driving in. People honk here ALL of the time. But again, I fail to see how this is, even in the smallest way, related to the question at hand.

As far as I know, the "gay part "of Lake View is only really 50% gay in its highest comcentrated part.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
I love Chicago. How old are you? I didn't really have problems meeting people. You will meet people through work. I also took some classes (like improv at Second City) and just met people through my apartment complex, at bars, etc. I've found Chicago to be pretty friendly, but of course, there is always an adjustment period. A single person, my two cents, should live in the city , not Evanston or Skokie. I would check out Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Wicker Park, Andersonville. You can check out apartments on craiglist, or there are about a zillion apartment search services (for free-apartment people, apartment guys, homestead group). Also check out the chicago reader. Rent for a one bedroom will be $700 (the low end) to $1000+ depending on how lucky you are, where you live, etc. Of those neighborhoods I mentioned, Andersonville is the cheapest. Also, I would consider finding a roommate. Cheaper rent and a good way to meet others! You should search this forum for info on the above neighborhoods, apartment search services, etc.
Hi Jessie,
I'm in my early thirties. What are the demographics of the places you mentioned?
Lincoln park - 30's, professionals?
Wrigleyville - early 20's, college, multicultural?
RiverNorth - 40's, working?
What do you think of streeterville and the south loop as a place to live?
Thanks for your tips!!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,824 times
Default Looking to make friends in Chicago

I am new to the area, relocating to Chicago with my husband for his new job. I am recently retired and moved from Naples, Florida to Lakeshore Drive. I am having a difficult time adjusting and making friends.
Is there anyone in a similar situatuon? Does anyone have a recommendation for social clubs or charity organizations in the Lakeshore area? I have moved often with my husband in the past but have always had a job- which was the primary way to meet new people in a new city.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with some advice.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,530 times
The only thing that's really scary about Chicago are the rents if you're a renter. Our rent in the downtown area has gone up nearly 20% in the last 3-4 years or so, and it's only that low because we've been able to negotiate. Had we not, we'd be looking at higher. It's that way all over - rents are going through the roof in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago