Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:50 AM

356 posts, read 539,168 times

Advertisements

I say Toronto followed by New York (on a much smaller scale) What do you say?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,617,669 times
I've never been there, but I've heard the same thing about Toronto and that it mirrors Chicago in many ways.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,220,205 times
Ive never been to Toronto, but pictures Ive seen of it and its neighborhoods are strikingly similar to those found in Chicago.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:51 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,496,456 times
Many parts of Chicago are almost identical to NYC with looks and even feel in some cases. I have picture albums of both cities, and in some cases I cannot even tell which city is which until looking at the blurb I wrote on the backs of the pics as to where they are from.

The south and west side of Chicago looks almost identical to Brooklyn and the areas of the north and northwest sides of Chicago look very similar to the better parts of Queens or even some parts of Manhattan itself. LP and Lakeview for instance look and feel almost identical to Greenwich Village and SoHo as well as Tribeca with their mix of residential and business type buildings as well as the mix of cabs, busses, civilian cars, trucks, straight trucks, siren blaring ambulances and firetrucks every 10 minutes, and the people jammed onto all the sidewalks.

Chicago is growing rapidly not so much in regards to it's population, but instead with what is being built, so we are not too far off from being or becoming a mini NY. Think about this, there are how many skyscrapers planned to be built in Chicago in the next 10 years and look at how few are planned for NY? W

ith all the potential money that can be generated in tax revenues and such by building Chicago into a bigger city, we soon will be right up there with NY in regards to everything if King Richard can have his way.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 PM

774 posts, read 2,491,579 times
I'd agree with the OP - Toronto has a very similar size and feel compared to Chicago while New York would be second.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,126,946 times
You have to be crazy to think that Chicago and NYC are identical. NY streets are small and cramped in Manhattan where as Chicago's streets are wider. The skyscrapers in Chicago look modern. That's not a smack against NYC but they look nothing alike. Because NYC is so dense and massive you really can't appreciate their buildings unless you are in New Jersey or one other burroughs. In the Chi, you get a better feel of their skyline in the heart of the city. The great thing about Chicago is that it has its own unique look and vibe. The Loop looks like The Loop. Nothing else. The way the EL snakes thru it, you definitely know you are in Chicago. The street scene is Chicago is also totally different. You don't have the trash on the streets, the vendors trying to sell you stuff, bike messengers and cabbies trying to hit you on purpose, the mad crush of people cursing you out trying to knock you over or the smell. Greenich Village and SOHO?? Get serious.

Nothing on the West side of the Chi reminds me of Brooklyn. Brooklyn is a mix of brownstone heaven in parts, huge projects in certain parts and everything else in between. The housing stock is different.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:02 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,641,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Many parts of Chicago are almost identical to NYC with looks and even feel in some cases. I have picture albums of both cities, and in some cases I cannot even tell which city is which until looking at the blurb I wrote on the backs of the pics as to where they are from.

The south and west side of Chicago looks almost identical to Brooklyn and the areas of the north and northwest sides of Chicago look very similar to the better parts of Queens or even some parts of Manhattan itself. LP and Lakeview for instance look and feel almost identical to Greenwich Village and SoHo as well as Tribeca with their mix of residential and business type buildings as well as the mix of cabs, busses, civilian cars, trucks, straight trucks, siren blaring ambulances and firetrucks every 10 minutes, and the people jammed onto all the sidewalks.

Chicago is growing rapidly not so much in regards to it's population, but instead with what is being built, so we are not too far off from being or becoming a mini NY. Think about this, there are how many skyscrapers planned to be built in Chicago in the next 10 years and look at how few are planned for NY? W

ith all the potential money that can be generated in tax revenues and such by building Chicago into a bigger city, we soon will be right up there with NY in regards to everything if King Richard can have his way.
Well, I love my city as much as the next Chicagoan, but I don't think we're going to be a mini NYC any day soon. We're being robbed blind by the suburbanites.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:05 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,323,202 times
and how are the suburbanites robbing you? Really, please let it all out I'd love to hear it.

Anyway, can we please take a vote, I'd like to propose that all US citizens stop referring to chicago as "the chi" ....how did this start and how can we stop it in its tracks?

Old 11-22-2007, 02:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,703,101 times
Toronto Ontario

Old 11-22-2007, 09:49 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,496,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You have to be crazy to think that Chicago and NYC are identical. NY streets are small and cramped in Manhattan where as Chicago's streets are wider. The skyscrapers in Chicago look modern. That's not a smack against NYC but they look nothing alike. Because NYC is so dense and massive you really can't appreciate their buildings unless you are in New Jersey or one other burroughs. In the Chi, you get a better feel of their skyline in the heart of the city. The great thing about Chicago is that it has its own unique look and vibe. The Loop looks like The Loop. Nothing else. The way the EL snakes thru it, you definitely know you are in Chicago. The street scene is Chicago is also totally different. You don't have the trash on the streets, the vendors trying to sell you stuff, bike messengers and cabbies trying to hit you on purpose, the mad crush of people cursing you out trying to knock you over or the smell. Greenich Village and SOHO?? Get serious.

Nothing on the West side of the Chi reminds me of Brooklyn. Brooklyn is a mix of brownstone heaven in parts, huge projects in certain parts and everything else in between. The housing stock is different.

Wow you're so right, look at how narrow NYC's streets are.

And you're right, nothing but old buildings there boy look at all of them and again the narrow streets

And man look at the litter just strewn all over the streets...

And gosh how this looks so much different from lets say, oooooooohhhh Lincoln Park or Lakeview... and

Is this Brooklyn or the west side??? And nope, no brown stone brick buildings here...

Yup no Ls in NY to confuse NY with the Loop

About the only thing the crazy person (me) would agree with you on, is that yes, NYC is WAY bigger than Chicago, however, contrary to your beliefs, NYC's Streets are wider (lane capacity), there are WAY more of them (streets/tollways/freeways/beltways), and no there is NOT trash just strewn all over like you claim. Perhaps next time before bashing someone for voicing an opinion as the OP said, you travel to NY, drive their streets, walk their sidewalks (today, not in 1990 or 30 years ago when NY was a complete hell hole), ride their public transit, etc. They have over twice as many people as Chicago, yet they have a fraction of the problems sorry, but we cant even get our public transit to run right here without looking to gambling as a means for an end to the transit crisis.

I know Chicago is newer... DUH, it burned down in the 1800s which was like hitting the reset button for the city, but over all, many of our buildings look very similar as does everything else.

One last look... ( I think we all know where that is)

Gosh so strikingly different... I guess if you count the people running for their lives to avoid the cabbies trying to run everyone down as everyone walks by swearing at eachother you are correct!!!

Last edited by NYrules; 11-22-2007 at 10:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago